Keen 9: Battle of the Brains

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Keeper
Vortininja

Post by Keeper »

Awww, man, I discovered this awesome "The Universe is Toast" trilogy about a week ago. It took me about 2 or 3 nights to complete it and I must say that I am VERY impressed :p

Now, I'm just waiting for version 2 of Keen 9 to come out, so that I can add the entire trilogy to my "official" Keen collection. I hope it will be released soon.

By the way, does Tom Hall know about this trilogy? I bet he'd be very happy to learn that the fans managed to complete the Keen story on their own (after id Soft officially gave up on Keen and had him executed in Doom II).
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Keeper wrote:By the way, does Tom Hall know about this trilogy? I bet he'd be very happy to learn that the fans managed to complete the Keen story on their own (after id Soft officially gave up on Keen and had him executed in Doom II).
Yes, he might know. No, I don't think he would care.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
Keeper wrote:By the way, does Tom Hall know about this trilogy? I bet he'd be very happy to learn that the fans managed to complete the Keen story on their own (after id Soft officially gave up on Keen and had him executed in Doom II).
Yes, he might know. No, I don't think he would care.
:celtic How many times do I have to answer this same question? Yes, he knows and his response was basically "Hey cool!".
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

K9 is really amazing and all, but i feel that some of the planets are a little... anemic.

what if we took the tiles for each of the planets, and made 4 or 5 seperate "expansion" mods to BOTB? one for each planet.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Pokota
Vortininja

Post by Pokota »

Like, what, each planet has four security thingies guarding a part of the UTC? There's really only so much you can do within the engine plot-wise, and five Keen5 mods for the same story is a bit much (especially since doing it that way would lead to effectively a Keen5 clone as the endpiece)
There was something here, but my yorp ate it.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Eros wrote:K9 is really amazing and all, but i feel that some of the planets are a little... anemic.
They seem flavorful enough to me. :confused
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

not exactly, i just mean that for enemies like the improved shikadi and the sinister k-overlords, it seems to be a shame for them only to be used in 3 or so levels only.

what i mean is that each one has their appropriate 2 or 3 levels, and then there are about 4 more that act as 9 levelpacks.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
predcon
Grunt

Post by predcon »

Has the issue been raised about Prospectors already? Particularly the fact that once they become a permanent tile hazard over a critical pole or other aperture, it's a good a having lost a life anyway (if the player hasn't made a save game right before encountering said Prospector over said pole or pass-throughable platform) ?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Yeah, we were aware of the prospectors issue while beta testing, a lot of them have already been taken out for the first release, because they could get you stuck.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

As Tulip mentioned, we took cares to make sure only in the rarest circumstances could a Prospector make a level unbeatable. If there is a specific problem area, predcon, please direct me to it and I'll have it fixed in the next version :)
predcon
Grunt

Post by predcon »

Here's a screencap of a perfect example in the Depleted Mines (shortly after passing through the green door).

As you can see, the Prospector to the right of Keen isn't completely obstructing his (my) path, as an alternate route is open to the left. However, since the Prospector directly below has gone and blocked off both poles from the left side, I'm now in an impossible situation.
Pokota
Vortininja

Post by Pokota »

Which difficulty level is this on?
There was something here, but my yorp ate it.
predcon
Grunt

Post by predcon »

Normal. Why, are there less in Easy and more in Hard?
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

There are definetly less in easy mode, but I don't know if there are any more in hard mode. Either way, this is a big problem and it's good you discovered it. I'm not really sure how Ceilick can fix this other than remove the prospector in the lower part.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Yeah, however this actually adds some tactic elements. You should plan where to kill the prospectors, so they won't block your way.