Keen 9: Battle of the Brains

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Dheadshot, don't quote a giant image just to respond to it, especially when it is the post immediately prior to yours.

@Eros: I've taken a look at the two areas you mentioned. In Mort's Workshop, the short cut is only possible on easy mode, so I don't mind player's being able to skip a small part of the level in that case. In shivonia city, this is a neat shortcut I wasn't aware of. It's a short area that's skipped, even if it is tough, so I don't mind it there either. Thanks for the info on these though :)
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

also, you can use the 2-1UP area in the overlabs to collect the 2 pancake piles, same iPogo trick.

i'm not too sure if i can get a video running, but i can prove all 3 of these, and i shall proceed to find more areas that you can skip in BOTB!

@pokota: all of the tricks i mentioned apply to all difficulties, as i can do them even in hard mode.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Ceilick wrote:Dheadshot, don't quote a giant image just to respond to it, especially when it is the post immediately prior to yours.
Fine - Fixed.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I just downloaded and beat it.

IT WAS AWESOME!!!

It felt perfectly like the last episode should be. The enemy replacements were nothing like the originals. Was that drill previously a red bouncing thing? Also, Mort battle was awesome. The only negative thing (and this is seriously picky) is that there is a bit too much ammo.

Awesome. Perfect. Keen.

What did Mort replace?
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

drillbot = spindred, mort = shockshund, and most of the others were combinations of other enemies. (cybloog = robored sensitivity+shikadi horizontal electricity, yeti = ampton movement+shikadi master attack). stuff like that.
StupidBunny wrote:
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Eros wrote:also, you can use the 2-1UP area in the overlabs to collect the 2 pancake piles, same iPogo trick.

i'm not too sure if i can get a video running, but i can prove all 3 of these, and i shall proceed to find more areas that you can skip in BOTB!

@pokota: all of the tricks i mentioned apply to all difficulties, as i can do them even in hard mode.
Posting a video is not necessary. I will stipulate to Eros' claim that reaching these areas with the Impossible pogo (IP) is possible. But where the two Orb Clusters are located in The Krodacian Overlabs the two pancakes can be obtained without the IP. You can actually still reach them with a regular jump.

I am now one level away from completing BOTB on hard. Once The Warpcore is complete will have beaten BOTB on all three skill levels! I swallowed my pride and used in-level saving for Defense Tower Surth, The Crater and Altaire Station. I was able to complete Mort's Workshop and Defense Hall M without in-level saving. I am seriously determined to complete The Warpcore without in level-saving, but since I was unable to do it on normal, odds are I will not be able to do it here, but nevertheless I will continue to try. I already have close to a hundred deaths!!!
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Also, you kept (to the pixel!) my striped pole! Thanks for letting me be a tiny part of this!!! :D

Edit: Oops, it was recolored. Still, it was used :D!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I have finally completed BOTB on hard.

Score = 3,033,880
Lives = 3
Ammo = 186
Game overs = 200+
Levels completed with in-level saving = Defense Tunnel Surth, Altaire Station and The Warpcore

I have completed BOTB on all three skill levels.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
9montkor
Vortininja

Post by 9montkor »

I installed it from shikadi.net and pckf and when i finely got it right it sayed e and exited the game :O. Is that normal with some computers?
am am a fan of the game keen Da i am
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

It only runs in dosbox on modern machines. I don't know if you are using dosbox already, if not get it here
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Let me guess: Mink made the dirt world, or at least Depleted Tunnels (judging by "GASP :0"), and Tulip made the Krodacian labs (judging by level style).
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

well, some of the levels have their designer's name located in them, so it's safe to assume that Ceilick made DTS, Mink made VitaCorp, and tulip made the overlabs.
StupidBunny wrote:
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

May have said this before, but:

Ceilick Levels: HUB Commander Center, Elevator Access Station, Altaire Station, Shivonia City, Defense Tower Surth, Defense Hall M, and about half of the Warpcore.

Tulip Levels: The Crater, Fort Yetisburg, Frosthool Station, and the Krodacian Overlabs.

Mink Levels: Vitacorp, Jotundra Mountains, Depleted Tunnels, Mortimer's Workshop, and about half of the Warpcore..

Edit: Had wanted to put this out with version 2, but since things are taking forever: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3654819/Keen%209%20Extras.zip

Included is various concept art, some commentary, and a couple of test folders (which are barely playable, but someone might be interested)
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Interesting. I like Tulip's drawings for the Yeti and Bedhed a lot. :)
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Lots of neat things in here. Interesting how some of the level designs changed over time, particularly Shivionia City from what I saw.