Commander Keen Signal (Keen Day Release)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Commander Keen Signal (Keen Day Release)

Post by Mink »

Happy Keen Day!

About a week ago, I realized that Keen Day was fast approaching, but I didn't have any projects that could be completed in time. Then, while looking through my Keen files, I found something that I thought was long gone: Commander Keen Signal. I made this game with Klik & Play soon after I first played Commander Keen 2000 (sometime in 2000 or 2001 :old ). It doesn't scroll, has fast movement and ripped graphics, but overall I sort of like it (it's fun to play through once in a while). I figured I would release it, seeing as how its Keen Day and I don't have anything else to do. I hope someone gets some enjoyment out of this.

You can download Commander Keen Signal here.

EDIT: Version 1.1 is now up. I fixed the bug where Dopefish sometimes got stuck in the walls. You can download it by clicking the previous link.
Last edited by Mink on Mon Mar 17, 2008 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

This was fun in a retro sense. It used all ripped graphics, had no sound or scrolling, and used the buggy Klik & Play engine that so many fangames did. But given its antiquated nature, this isn't bad. It's certainly reminiscent of Keen 2000, and given that standard it's an enjoyable game.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

There's a serious bug at the underwater level. I very often end up in the top of the screen where I'm unable to see Keen and I'm unable to move or anything. The only thing you can do is to restart the level, which makes it quite annoying after several tries.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Iv4n wrote:There's a serious bug at the underwater level. I very often end up in the top of the screen where I'm unable to see Keen and I'm unable to move or anything. The only thing you can do is to restart the level, which makes it quite annoying after several tries.
Which specific frame is this bug in? I have just provided an updated version of Keen Signal in my original post, which fixes the bug where Dopefish occasionally gets stuck in walls ( This took me a while to fix because I haven't used Klik & Play for quite a while). If this isn't the bug you are referring to, please tell me. I'd like to fix it.
StupidBunny wrote:This was fun in a retro sense. It used all ripped graphics, had no sound or scrolling, and used the buggy Klik & Play engine that so many fangames did. But given its antiquated nature, this isn't bad. It's certainly reminiscent of Keen 2000, and given that standard it's an enjoyable game.
Thanks for the kind words. I agree that this game has many flaws, such as the incredibly buggy movement, and can't even compete with the newer fangames and fantastic mods, but I feel that it is an improvement over Keen 2000. When I played Keen 2000, I felt that there was a lot of wasted potential. Firstly, it was much too short (I can win it in about 15 minutes). When I made Commander Keen Signal, one of my goals was to make it longer than Keen 2000. I think I succeeded at this because it takes me about 45 minutes to win this game.

Another thing I disliked in Keen 2000 was the buggy movement and the way Keen fired. When Keen fired, the shot would go in the direction in which Keen had last moved. This means that if Keen had just jumped, but was facing to the right, he would shoot into the ground. Fortunately, I was able to rectify this with Keen Signal, so that Keen can shoot while jumping and the shot will go in the direction that Keen is facing, not just up or down. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to fix the buggy movement, although I feel that it is better than the movement in Keen 2000 because Keen's speed and jump height don't change every other frame.

Keen Signal doesn't even come close to really good (I still don't like the way Keen interacts with poles, the buggy movement, ripped graphics, no scrolling, etcetera), but I think it's rather fun.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

stop dissing keen 2000, it made me laugh back in the day
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

I'm not trying to insult Keen 2000, I actually liked it back then. Sorry if it sounded like I was saying Keen 2000 is horrible because it's not.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Sorry i got confused and thought this was the other thread - in total, there are probably like 15 references to keen 2000.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

It IS horrible! :)
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I disliked Keen 2000 for its crappiness but I still played it till the end, hoping it would get better. :crazy
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Hyrule_boy
Grunt

Post by Hyrule_boy »

Horrible collision, horrible animation, buggy as hell... In other words, you shouldn't have released this fan game in the current garg state. :dead2
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Hyrule_boy wrote:Horrible collision, horrible animation, buggy as hell... In other words, you shouldn't have released this fan game in the current garg state. :dead2
You're right, this isn't a good game (although I kind of like it in a retro sense, but this might just be because I made it). As I said, I made it years ago in a short amount of time. When I found it recently, I didn't want to waste time fiddling around with Klik & Play again (I dislike that program greatly). On Keen Day, I was bored, so I released it because I didn't have anything to release. Sorry if it bothers you.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

I was at least mildly entertained by this game, which is all the intent was, anyway, I think. :)
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

CK Guy wrote:I was at least mildly entertained by this game, which is all the intent was, anyway, I think. :)
Yes, this was my intent. Thanks for the kind words. My only intention of putting this up was to mildly entertain people with an old fan game.
JM2008
Vortininja

Post by JM2008 »

I've completed this game, it's a classic :D