Journey to the Centre of Mars

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.

Do you like the difficulty level

It´s too hard
10%
It´s unfair in certain areas
40%
It´s just right
50%
It´s too easy
No votes

Total votes: 10

Hagel
Vortininja

Journey to the Centre of Mars

Post by Hagel »

?I recently worked on my old Journey to the Centre of Mars Engine to present you a neat keen style Jump n Run game with 20 unique levels, lots of weird monsters, hidden teleporters, pogo support and a lot more.

It still lacks certain stuff e.g. a game icon or a full ending sequence but iti is fully playable. At the moment I`d be glad for your feedback so it can be improved until it`s final release at 14. of March (of course it will be released with it's source code and data).

Here it goes:

http://www.2shared.com/file/wuWuoPtt/Jo ... Mars_.html
Last edited by Hagel on Wed Feb 16, 2011 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Hey, this is pretty neat. I think I recall this project from a long time ago, but I had no idea it was still in progress! I really like the Keen elements you have in this, and the overall gameplay is pretty fun. There are a few annoyances with the engine, but overall it plays well. The saving system is nice, but could you prevent the player from accidently saving after they have died while still in the level? It also took me a long time to figure out how "keygem" doors worked. Maybe you could find a way to make those easier to figure out, like giving a quick demonstration in one of the first levels.

I'd love to see this finished. The music track here is nice, but it is a little annoying to listen to it the whole game. This spin-off definetly makes for a fun little playthrough.
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

Of course it was in progress - I didn´t like the idea of giving up this project; But actually I had to drop a lot of ideas I had to present an enjoyable game.

I used the basic save system of the game maker - but I thought of an option that would e.g. only allow the player to save on the map. Or to save if he uses a certain item (save crystals) or to save in certain temples.

I thought the Keylocks were pretty self explanatory (e.g. in level 1 where you neary stumble into the first lock after collecting the key) - at least I´ve realized that I forgot to put them into the help file.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

have you uploaded the page onto shikadi.net yet?
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

Nope - cause I didn´t take the time to figure out how to do it yet.
Plus I didn´t want to post anything not yet finished. :P
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

i probably could, if you gave me some basic info
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

Thanks - I´ll do it on my own; Take some screenshots, think of a neat story and write a nice review. And of course explain the source code as soon as it´s released

Nevertheless feel free to create a stub - or post some pictures on your own - or add the downloadlink that would be great :)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Download link not valid.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

Link still works from my pc >:
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Works for me...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

To get rid of the need to use the hosting site, I'm mirroring this on my CKFS account if you don't mind Hagel.

Download

http://files.commanderkeen.org/users/ke ... Engine.exe

Levellass, are you sure you didn't click one of those evil ads? Ads on hosting sites recently have been making themselves look like download options, and they fool me sometimes.
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

Thanks for hosting. A friend of mine encountered the same problem when I sent him the link to the hosting site. He just had to reenter the site and the download link mysteriously appeared...
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Very interesting considering you were using unlicensed version of GM7.
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

I did that on purpose - so anybody who´d like to modify it would just have to download the free version of the game maker.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I can't get into levels now.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.