Journey to the Centre of Mars

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.

Do you like the difficulty level

It´s too hard
10%
It´s unfair in certain areas
40%
It´s just right
50%
It´s too easy
No votes

Total votes: 10

Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

Levellass wrote:I can't get into levels now.
`

That´s funny - I never experienced any problems like that.

Something I didn´t test my game on yet are windows emulators (game maker relies on direct X) such as wine. Furthermore I just tested my game how it would run on different keyboards.

Even if your keyboard wouldn´t have the keys X and V (I choose them because they´re close to alt and ctrl but do not trigger any hotkeys) at the same position as I do the game should still work.

Which system do you use?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

The game is actually quite hard. Could you put an option for disabling the music?
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

The levels are very Keen, but the game mechanics are of a more traditional platformer, a la Manic Miner. The music is good, but repeating constantly makes it get REALLY annoying after a while. The movement mechanic of overshooting makes accuracy very difficult (imagine playing as Sonic the Hedgehog in a game of Jet Set Willy).
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

I love the music! But I will enable an option to disable it.

@ wiivn I could tweak the difficulty. I once implented a hitpoint system - but I didn´t like it too much. I could reduce the enemies or soften the movement physics. There´s even a possibility to reduce or raise the game speed within a few clicks. Furthermore I could just look over the levels for certain unfair areas. Such as the insane Moonie in the bestiary - or the one eyed Block traps in areas where you have to jump over an acid bassin...

What would you say?
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Hagel wrote:I love the music! But I will enable an option to disable it.
I like the music too, but it does get wearisome having the same ten second or something loop constantly...
Cereal Board!
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

DHeadshot wrote:
Hagel wrote:I love the music! But I will enable an option to disable it.
I like the music too, but it does get wearisome having the same ten second or something loop constantly...
That´s true :)

It´s actually quite hard to find fitting background music
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I'm on windows XP and pressing W won't let me enter levels.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Levellass wrote:I'm on windows XP and pressing W won't let me enter levels.
It's V - the W is a blurred image...
Cereal Board!
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

First of all, thanks for your feedback and criticism,

I just made some changes newest Version is available here:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-322 ... 1.exe.html

Besides some minor changes I

- removed the overshooting
- added the forcefields and keys to the help section
- enabled an option to disable the music
- disabled saving inside levels and renamed the save file (you might rename your old save file to load it in the new versions)

Furthermore I placed the sing which shows you how to enter levels down some pixels, so it´s easier to read.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

This is cool, handles very well from a physics aspect, and I like the features (especially the trampolines)

The only criticism I'd have is that your main character lacks recognizable features. It's an entirely dull figure, you should add anything from hat to sunglasses, really, just anything that makes him special.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

Besides some minor changes I tried a colour swap and changed the main character (@ Tulip he`s now wearing a scarf which makes him look like a ninja - still some thing to change). I also did some experiments for a two player mode which aren`t yet visible.

Here you go for build 0.92

http://www.2shared.com/file/ZEZRIpz4/Jo ... Mars_.html
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I dunno, that ninja scarf seems a bit out of place for a space explore, but yeah, in principle that's what I was talking about. Looking forward to that 2 player feature.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

First I thought of something like a breathing mask (which now probably is hidden behind the scarf). There are yet some features to add, e.g. the pistol or whatever. I liked the scarf, cause it made the main caracter more colourfull especially because this dark purple tone wasn´t used in the rest of the game.

Concerning the 2 player mode I am still experimenting with the 2 player screens. If I´d limit the game to still one screen I´d probably add a feature as e.g. the bubbles in New Super Mario Bros so the second player can't get lost somewhere in the level or I´d make the split screen appear as soon as the second player has got a certain distance to the first player.
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

As promised - the source files are realeased. Happy Keen Day!

http://www.file-upload.net/download-328 ... d.gmk.html

If anybody is interested in modifying them - you´ll do best using the Game Maker 7.0 Lite which can be found on this site:

http://wiki.yoyogames.com/index.php/Old ... ersion_7.0

It´s also possible to open the files with Game Maker 8.0 - unfortunately there are some bugs occuring in this version e.g. messed up enemy movement