Keen Dreams Plus

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Ceilick wrote:I...have never heard of the Kumquat Chasm :confused Can you direct me to the page where that info is?

Haha at that bug, wiivn, seems I introduced that when I made the map a bit smaller. I'll update the link to fix that. Glad you like it so far :)
Look under Keen Dreams development in the Wiki:

Kumquat Chasm
When looking at the back side of the retail Keen Dreams box, it questions whether you can "survive the perils of the Kumquat Chasm". Yet there isn't any level in the final game called Kumquat Chasm. This indicates that there either was an error on the box, or more likely, Kumquat Chasm was a planned level in the game that either got renamed or removed during development.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Wow! That development page is awesome, had I known about that I would have included Kumquat Chasm and would have tried to work in those early versions of enemies.

Concerning music: I wanted music in this but at the moment it isn't possible. Maybe in the future.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Ceilick wrote:Wow! That development page is awesome, had I known about that I would have included Kumquat Chasm and would have tried to work in those early versions of enemies.

Concerning music: I wanted music in this but at the moment it isn't possible. Maybe in the future.
Do any have any idea what Kumquat Chasm was supposed to look like?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Woo, glad to see it's finally released. Great work as usual Ceilick. Hope to see more from you. Testing the levels has been a good ride.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

CKeen wrote:Woo, glad to see it's finally released. Great work as usual Ceilick. Hope to see more from you. Testing the levels has been a good ride.
I enjoyed testing as well.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

StupidBunny wrote:^I had never seen any of that before! I can see why they changed the sprites for the broccolash and squasher...those old ones are really disturbing...
The broccolash is a flasher! :lol
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

CKeen wrote:Woo, glad to see it's finally released. Great work as usual Ceilick. Hope to see more from you. Testing the levels has been a good ride.
Likewise.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Id needs to take a lesson from you ceilick. Dude- this is awesome!

The level crash that I found was spud city.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Post by The Keen Commander »

I personally think this is much better than the original Keen Dreams...though I've only been playing the original for a year or two. Just my two cents.
I'd like to get a Futurama mod going. Here's what I've got so far:
http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2152
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

This is pretty good stuff! The new levels are like playing it again for the first time. Nice graphics!

We can always count on Ceilick for new Keen goodies and endless fun! :-D
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Thanks guys :) The Keen Dreams graphics were actually pretty fun to level with, limitations aside, and I hope this will encourage future Keen Dreams levelpacks.

Reuploaded (again :o :bloody ) to fix the brusselsprouts bay 'done' sign.

Edit: Forgot to mention, this was made with Mink's awesome level editor in development, The Omegamatic.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

There's something wrong with one of the save files which causes the game to crash as soon as I load. In effect, this means that all my progress is lost, which is immensely frustrating because I was near the end of Castle Tuberia with every other level completed. Probably nothing to do with the mod, though.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Thanks guys The Keen Dreams graphics were actually pretty fun to level with, limitations aside, and I hope this will encourage future Keen Dreams levelpacks.
Glad you had fun with this, but I think Keen 4 levelpacks should take priority over Dreams. Wouldn't really seem fair to me if Keen Dreams got a full levelpack when Keen 4 still doesn't have a complete high quality levelpack yet.

Anyway, the new levels are great and really fit in well with the original Keen Dreams. Some of the changes are a bit radical, but overall I think they really improved level design. It's mainly just having to accept these new changes when comparing them to the original. Hopefully you'll get rid of the crash issue (which can even happen on the worldmap :dead)

I also like the way you improved the final level while still making very few changes. Now it's almost too hard since you have to fight the correct way. :O
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Dreams needs more love.

The level crashes are because of no free spots in obj array; KD has very primitive methods of dealing with this and no warning or error texts. It also has holey memory, you'll get more loading crashes if you let enemies fall off the level.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

Things are going fast now. There are so many releases I have to play. :-)

I like the idea of an extended KDream edition, and what I've seen so far was great. I'll go on playing the next few days.

It's great to see you guys still work on great projects even after CK9 was released. :-)