Keen Dreams Plus

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I am little curious as to what is causing the game to crash on random levels?
I answered this question!

KD has very poor management when it comes to objects (Sprites.) this means that things tend to 'leak' out of where they should be, especially if enemies are allowed to fall off the bottom of the level.

This isn't usually a problem unless levels are large (In size and tile types.) when the leaking data can spill over into them and cause corruption. There would be an error message for this, but KD doesn't have them either.

The leakage is pseduorandom and depends a lot on how you play. There are levels at risk from it, but I imagine anyone could make the game seize up if they pushed enough enemies out of the level.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

cool, but shouldn't it be colonel kernel?

but that's just my 2 cents.

great game ceilick!
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Levellass wrote:I answered this question!

KD has very poor management when it comes to objects (Sprites.) this means that things tend to 'leak' out of where they should be, especially if enemies are allowed to fall off the bottom of the level.

This isn't usually a problem unless levels are large (In size and tile types.) when the leaking data can spill over into them and cause corruption. There would be an error message for this, but KD doesn't have them either.

The leakage is pseduorandom and depends a lot on how you play. There are levels at risk from it, but I imagine anyone could make the game seize up if they pushed enough enemies out of the level.
That must be why I do not have a problem. I do not push any enemies out.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

@Eros: Thanks :) I went with Colonal Corn since it's pronounced (at least where I am :celtic ) the same as kernel corn.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

i suppose Corn Colonel also works, because it makes a little more sense than colonel corn does.

who pronounces it as col-o-nel, anyways?

anyway, aside from the saving issue, this is an epic mod/add-on to own.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Scilicet
Vortininja

Post by Scilicet »

Eros wrote:i suppose Corn Colonel also works, because it makes a little more sense than colonel corn does.

who pronounces it as col-o-nel, anyways?

anyway, aside from the saving issue, this is an epic mod/add-on to own.
According to Bill Bryson's book, The Mother Tongue, when "colonel" was adopted into the English language, it was adopted with the French pronunciation and Italian spelling.
Lingyan203
Grunt

Post by Lingyan203 »

When is there gonna be a new version of this coming out?

I don't like having the game to crash every time I load during the level Spud City. Cause that's when the bug occurs.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I do not believe Ceilick will release a new version. Unfortunately, these crashes can't really be fixed. Keen Dreams Plus stresses the memory limits of Keen Dreams, and these random crashes are a result of that. My advice is to save the game every time before you enter a level from the worldmap or complete the level. As far as crashes in Spud City, there may not be much you can do.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Yeah, it's really hard to do anything about the crashing. If you want I can try to do some more cutting to the level size, which may or may not help.
Lingyan203
Grunt

Post by Lingyan203 »

I see. Do you think I should do a playthrough on this mod? I just want to know what you guys think, that's all.
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Try it and see. Ceilick made it, and he's no :dopefish. If you decide you don't like it, then just don't play it.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Yeah, go for a playthrough. That would be neat to see. Just save the game each time before you enter a level and before you exit a level. If you run into problems, I guess you'll just have to find a way to work with them.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

It doesn't work :(

I unzipped it and ran KDRplus.bat. The initial text screen is total garbage, mostly consisting of my user directory. When I press a key to start, I see the normal title screen. When I start a new game (on Normal), I get to the new world map. When I enter the first level, the graphics go garbage and I get an illegal instruction error. Help? :(

EDIT: I ran it in DOSBox and everything up to the world map is normal. But when I enter the first level, it hangs at the "Loading" box.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Fixed, redownload and it'll work fine.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Why haven't I seen this before? It's Keen-tastic! :D Can't say anything negative so far, I especially love the Frenchy replacement. Got any name for it? I was thinking Menacing Maize or something similar :p

After discovering the replacement for the left and right Melon mouths, I only wish you had replaced the ones hanging from the roof as well.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."