Keen Dreams Plus

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

I encountered two bugs:

-The game crashed will loading Parsnip Pass. 3 levels were played so far, no saving or loading before.

-In Bridge Bottoms you can collect 2 keys (one at the top and one at the bottom). When you exit the level, you have one key left you can use in any other level.
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Post by The Keen Commander »

Finished this late last night (/early this morning)...very impressed. I already said I like this better than the original Dreams, but now, having played all the levels, I'd like to reiterate it...this is everything Keen Dreams could/should have been. If/when music is added, this will probably surpass Keens 1-3 on my list of favorites. Truly a masterful piece of work.

Oh, and before anyone gets up in arms, I'm not saying the original Keen Dreams is bad...just that this is much better.
I'd like to get a Futurama mod going. Here's what I've got so far:
http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2152
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

The Keen Commander wrote:Finished this late last night (/early this morning)...very impressed. I already said I like this better than the original Dreams, but now, having played all the levels, I'd like to reiterate it...this is everything Keen Dreams could/should have been. If/when music is added, this will probably surpass Keens 1-3 on my list of favorites. Truly a masterful piece of work.

Oh, and before anyone gets up in arms, I'm not saying the original Keen Dreams is bad...just that this is much better.
Let me say it then, Keen Dreams was not that great. It was very sloppy in level design. A few levels liked, most I did not care for. Nevertheless, I still played it because it was Commander keen after all.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

When I first played it (the original KD) I felt that there was something unique and strange in it. Obviously for me it wasn't as good as 4-6, but still was interesting to explore. What I didn't like was the lack of edge grabbing and that the enemies resurrects. But the game didn't felt empty. It just felt different. So Dreams wasn't bad, but through the time (until recently) it always lied in the shadows of the other episodes.

It's kinda strange, the Dreams modding craze that is. It's like everyone now wants to make a Dreams mod. And I wonder why because in comparison, TUIT offers much more intense, polished and improved gameplay, a better engine with more possibilities & etc. Wouldn't be more reasonable to make Keen Dreams under the TUIT? A Keen Dreams Keen 4 mod would be cool.

Also, what's this Omegamatic editor? Sounds really promising.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

wiivn wrote:It's kinda strange, the Dreams modding craze that is. It's like everyone now wants to make a Dreams mod.
It's a trend. It'll pass.
wiivn wrote:And I wonder why because in comparison, TUIT offers much more intense, polished and improved gameplay, a better engine with more possibilities & etc.
Don't you mean Galaxy?
wiivn wrote:Wouldn't be more reasonable to make Keen Dreams under the TUIT? A Keen Dreams Keen 4 mod would be cool.
There's already a KD-esque Keen 1 Mod (Bad Dreams), so it wouldn't be a first...
wiivn wrote:Also, what's this Omegamatic editor? Sounds really promising.
This.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

New version uploaded, more reduction done to hopefully reduce crashing. Thanks Keenfan for mentioning the Bridge Bottoms trick with the key; I've gone ahead and removed the first key and door from the level.

Just reiterating: this isn't meant to 'replace' Keen Dreams. Some people feel fondly for the original Keen Dreams: I can't mod the nostalgia you feel nor do I want to. Some people don't feel that fondly for the original. This is an effort (more like an experiment) to take what it gave us and build on it. Seems people of both types are enjoying it, but I just wanted to be clearer :)
It's kinda strange, the Dreams modding craze that is.
Pretty sure the 'craze' is only this project and Xmas 2010; what other Keen Dreams projects are there?

The Omegamatic: http://www.keenmodding.org/viewtopic.php?t=1380
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I dumped an abandoned demo, since at the time I didn't have level editing ability.

Also, what's this Omegamatic editor? Sounds really promising.
Hope it supports KeenGraph tiles.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Ceilick wrote:New version uploaded, more reduction done to hopefully reduce crashing. Thanks Keenfan for mentioning the Bridge Bottoms trick with the key; I've gone ahead and removed the first key and door from the level.
I am little curious as to what is causing the game to crash on random levels? In all 3 betas I downloaded before the official release I have not had one problem with crashes at all.
Just reiterating: this isn't meant to 'replace' Keen Dreams. Some people feel fondly for the original Keen Dreams: I can't mod the nostalgia you feel nor do I want to. Some people don't feel that fondly for the original. This is an effort (more like an experiment) to take what it gave us and build on it. Seems people of both types are enjoying it, but I just wanted to be clearer :)
As one of the testers for this, you had made it crystal clear to me from the beginning that it was called "Keen Dreams Plus' for a reason. You were just taking the original game and building on it. I fully understood this decision and I fully understand why some people will always prefer the original. I am on the other side of the fence. I was disappointed by it for the most part and any improvement is good.

You did not mean for it to replace Keen Dreams but that is exactly what I did. Other then the .zip file I have saved in a junk directory, the original Keen Dreams is deleted from my computer. In my own mind, Keen Dreams Plus is the official Keen Dreams as far as I am concerned just like TKOK, DITD and BOTB are the official TUIT, and I am not saying that just to brown-nose! :p

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Syllypryde wrote:I am little curious as to what is causing the game to crash on random levels?
Memory problems. Ceilick is pushing the limits with all this new stuff.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Nospike wrote:
Syllypryde wrote:I am little curious as to what is causing the game to crash on random levels?
Memory problems. Ceilick is pushing the limits with all this new stuff.
Ceilick must have added a bunch of last minute stuff before the official release, because like I said, I had no crashes from either of the 3 beta downloads.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

...Or maybe it's a bad patch?
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Nospike wrote:...Or maybe it's a bad patch?
Anything is possible, or I could have just been lucky. I am sure there are other Keeners who had no trouble.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

i see a corn enemy in place of the french fry monster.

can you say... count corncula?
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Eros wrote:i see a corn enemy in place of the french fry monster.

can you say... count corncula?
His name is Colonel Corn.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Ceilick must have added a bunch of last minute stuff before the official release, because like I said, I had no crashes from either of the 3 beta downloads.
The things that irks me is that the official release has always had less content than the betas. The crashing seems more or less random, although for the same memory reasons.

I'm really not sure what to tell people except save often and use multiple save files.

Also the corn's name is "Colonal Corn", as Syllypryde mentioned, and the watermellon is "Mean Mr. Melon".