NETKEEN: Multiplayer Keen Game

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

This is very exciting project :)

...How about SplitScreen - for 2 guys on the same comp?
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

It wouldn't work for the Dos version.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Well...anyway...great achievment on the Net Keen.

I love the cool skins :) Nice work.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Wikipedia wrote:NetKeen is a multiplayer fangame created by Lemm in 2011 by reverse engineering the Keen Galaxy/Wolf3D code and combining it with the Doom IPX network code.
What do you mean by the Wolf3D code combined with Doom IPX code? Can this be used also to make NetWolf?
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Conceivably it could, but I would imagine someone has already done that by now, since John Carmack stated in the source code release notes that a potential project idea would be to use the Doom IPX driver to make a multiplayer game.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

lemm wrote:Conceivably it could, but I would imagine someone has already done that by now, since John Carmack stated in the source code release notes that a potential project idea would be to use the Doom IPX driver to make a multiplayer game.
Being an active member of the Wolf3D modding community for almost 7 years - I can say that it's still a wet dream of Wolf3D modders to do a multiplayer.
(I don't mean Wolf3D TCs/recreations on Doom or other engine that have multiplayer support - but "native" Wolf3D multiplayer)
So much was been achieved over the years, especially after Wolf3D community moved to limit-removing cross-platform SDL.
But not a multiplayer....(or splitscreen).
Several attempts were made but failed/abandoned.

That's why I was wondering. I posted the NetKeen youtube video on my Wolf3D modding forum... :) An amazing achievement.

So, from knowing the code involved - how hard would it be to fit it to Wolf3D?
zdude
Grunt

Post by zdude »

Speaking of SDL, wouldn't it be possible to get Netkeen working through SDL? With SDL, you would be able to add quite a bit to the game without fear of memory restrictions. At least that's what I remember, has that changed at all DoomJedi? :confused
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

DoomJedi wrote:
So, from knowing the code involved - how hard would it be to fit it to Wolf3D?
It probably wouldn't be that hard at all, and I have played with the Doom IPX code so that it is more suitable for games over long distances (at least within the same continent up to 4 players.
Speaking of SDL, wouldn't it be possible to get Netkeen working through SDL? With SDL, you would be able to add quite a bit to the game without fear of memory restrictions. At least that's what I remember, has that changed at all DoomJedi? Confused
I started on that using SDL for the graphics and the Enet library for the network, but it didn't get very far. All I did was the caching routines to load stuff from the Id Archive format and a map viewer.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

zdude wrote:Speaking of SDL, wouldn't it be possible to get Netkeen working through SDL?
I'm more of a Sprite Artist, not a coder...so I can only say - I think it can be done.
Most of Wolf3D (DOS) modding "classics" were easily tranformed to SDL...I know a guy who did most of those jobs.
All new Wolf3D mods come as SDL mods nowdays.
With SDL, you would be able to add quite a bit to the game without fear of memory restrictions. At least that's what I remember, has that changed at all DoomJedi? :confused
Yes. No memory restrictions over SDL - that's what made the most difference. It allowed Wolf3D mods with tons of coding features and changes....no limits on sprites, enemies, doors... Heaven :)
Over our forums we have tons of SDL coding tutotials to add different features...and Wolf3D source on SDL (Wolf4SDL).

Secondary, but not much less important benefits, as I've mentioned, are:

1. The mod being Cross-Platform (anyone said Windows 7? :) )
2. Support of virtually any screen resolution.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

DoomJedi wrote:1. The mod being Cross-Platform (anyone said Windows 7? :) )
2. Support of virtually any screen resolution.
When my parents got their new Windows 7 64 PC with the gigantic screen, I ran Wolf3D on it to test it out and it ran fine. Not only that, but with the humungous screen it was fantastic!
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

I meant running it not on DosBox....like I could run Wolf3D on XP with VDMsound alone.
DosBox is a crappy experience of Wolf3D IMHO.

BTW by multi-platform I also meant Linux and such.
Wolfenstein 3D port using libSDL

Wolf4SDL is an open-source port of id Software's classic first-person shooter Wolfenstein 3D to the cross-plattform multimedia library "Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL)" (http://www.libsdl.org). It is meant to keep the original feel while providing several improvements:

Cross-plattform:
Linux
BSD variants
Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista (32 and 64 bit), Windows 7
KallistiOS (used for Dreamcast)
Only little endian platforms like x86, ARM and SH-4 are supported, yet.
AdLib sounds and music (includes the OPL2 emulator from MAME).
Multichannel digitized sounds.
Higher screen resolutions (multiples of 320x200 or 320x240).
Last edited by DoomJedi on Tue Jan 31, 2012 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Lemm - if you need art help for this project (skins and such) - and Ceilick is busy for some reason :) ...you can ask me :) You probably remember my work on the community mod ;)
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

DoomJedi wrote:I meant running it not on DosBox....like I could run Wolf3D on XP with VDMsound alone.
I wasn't - I just used PCSpeaker sound...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

It was recently brought to my attention that there is a slight bug in NKLaunch where if you indicated that you were the host, the server parameter would not be set, and vice versa (i.e. the IPX host would have the "join game" option while the client[s] would have "host game").
While not intended, this doesn't cause problems for 2-player games, although problems would arise with more than 2. In any case, here's a bugfix.
I've left the old version up at its address since it's functional under what I suppose are "usual" circumstances. Make sure you don't cross the streams and use this new version with the old one because that won't work.

Let's call this an early Keen day release, eh? :dopekeen
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

DoomJedi wrote:This is very exciting project :)

...How about SplitScreen - for 2 guys on the same comp?
Too bad on CG it would be possible, but okay...
Having fun developing stuff...