SGA Vorticon Monospace (Updated: 3/21 - Added digits)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
naba
Meep

SGA Vorticon Monospace (Updated: 3/21 - Added digits)

Post by naba »

It's been bugging me for a while that no one's ever really traced those big SGA characters in episodes two and three and made a font out of it. (I didn't know about DHeadshot's effort until after I had mostly finished; still, mine's a bit different: most obviously, it uses curves instead of pixel-perfect blocky edges. There's a few other SGA fonts that look similar to this one, but of ones I've found, none really seem to try to adhere to the glyph shapes in episodes two/three.)

...So I made one myself. It's called SGA Vorticon Monospace. Download here.

Besides the font itself, the ZIP file contains a README and some other stuff. Users who wish to simply use the font (i.e. probably everybody) are encouraged to ignore and/or discard these things. Especially the README, which contains more documentation than any font should ever have.

Oh, and happy 3/14.

Update, 3/21:
I added digits. Because SGA doesn't seem to have any of its own, I made up some new digits that are kind of sort of based on the English text in episode three. It's still in the same spot. If you downloaded the earlier version, you may need to:
  • Clear your browser cache. If the old version is still in your cache, you might end up re-saving the old version when you go to download the new one.
  • (Windows) Manually uninstall the old version. In particular, loading the new version with the Windows Font Viewer will continue to show the old version while it's still installed.
  • (Unix-like systems only) Clear your fontconfig cache, otherwise the new digits may not show up, or they may only show up at certain sizes, or other fun things may happen.
Last edited by naba on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
LJH
Vortininja

Post by LJH »

It really needs some form of digits; whether you hunt down the SGA ones (I remember hearing somewhere that official ones exist even though they weren't used in-game?) or just use normal ones. Apart from that, this is neat!
time goes by 時の流れは二人を変えて行くけれど
失くしたものも夢見るものもその手を取って思い出すよ
いつも君の側で...
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

LJH wrote:It really needs some form of digits; whether you hunt down the SGA ones (I remember hearing somewhere that official ones exist even though they weren't used in-game?) or just use normal ones. Apart from that, this is neat!
Mine doesn't have digits either - maybe I'll add the ones from my "Keen 1FON0000" font...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
naba
Meep

Post by naba »

I think I heard about SGA digits too, probably from somewhere on this board. I swear I looked, too, but I never found anything canonical, so I left them out. And it didn't feel right making up digits wholesale; after all, who's to say that SGA even has a set of ten digits? Maybe hexadecimal hit big in the Milky Way, and only us hicks here on Earth use base 10.

Still, I can think of at least two ways to address this:
1. Squash some SGA characters together to form digits, so that typing '1' on the keyboard puts "one" on the screen. This could be either as a string of full-sized glyphs, or by squishing multiple SGA glyphs into one character cell - like the CJK compatibility glyphs in Unicode.
2. Use regular old Hindu-Arabic numerals, maybe using the Latin text from the episode 3 chalkboards as guidance.

I'm kinda sorta leaning towards (2).
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

For the SGA Extended font (not game-accurate) that I've been working on on-and-off for years, I used the 7-seg numbers from the score HUD on Keen 4...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

woo, keenday release from a new member! Very cool, and happy keenday!
Image You crack me up little buddy!