Keenwave

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Commander Spleen wrote:
levellass wrote:Spleen, I could send you the source, could you write a linux binary?
yyy

Either Dropbox or email.

Not sure how Freebasic will handle the text GUI stuff in a Linux environment, but we shall see.
And then you could bundle up a PND to use on the Pandora? Hehe... 8)

I tried to run it based on the instructions in the readme, but quickly got bogged down by doing things wrong. I'll try and follow this tutorial on the wiki next time.

EDIT: Okay, this is a little frustrating... I'd be really interested if there are any Youtube videos of someone doing some basic things in this, just so I can see someone going through all the initial steps needed to get it running.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Snortimer wrote:
Commander Spleen wrote:
levellass wrote:Spleen, I could send you the source, could you write a linux binary?
yyy

Either Dropbox or email.

Not sure how Freebasic will handle the text GUI stuff in a Linux environment, but we shall see.
If you do that, could you port one across to GP2X Wiz?
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I have no idea. It's FreeBasic based, so whatever that can be ported to. The source code is up in dropbox, PCKF->Lass->keenwave

Updated the keenwiki tutorial, which was for version 0.5. Bleargh, it needed trimming. Has more pictures now too.

Spleen: This is very odd,t he import works for me fine. Does it do this for any bitmap you put in? I like to have a special 'importable bitmap' I keep data in, like z.bmp to make it easy to type out. When importing like this I did 'i' 'z.bmp' 'v' (I had my cursor on the sound's number when doing this, though that shouldn't be a problem.) It's very curious...
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

DHeadshot wrote:
Snortimer wrote:
Commander Spleen wrote: yyy

Either Dropbox or email.

That might be more of a problem, since the GP2X/Wiz have no keyboard, only 8 buttons and a d-pad. It would require interface changes instead of a straight repackaging.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Levellass wrote:Spleen: This is very odd,t he import works for me fine. Does it do this for any bitmap you put in? I like to have a special 'importable bitmap' I keep data in, like z.bmp to make it easy to type out. When importing like this I did 'i' 'z.bmp' 'v' (I had my cursor on the sound's number when doing this, though that shouldn't be a problem.) It's very curious...
I'm gonna go ahead and assume you meant to address this to me...

Actually, it doesn't seem to happen when I import one of the .bmps created by KeenWave, just the one that I edited in paint, so I'm not sure what the difference between the two is...
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Can you send me the bitmap? There shouldn't be any difference at all, but if there is I'll include some protection checks. Remember, they have to be monochrome.
That might be more of a problem, since the GP2X/Wiz have no keyboard, only 8 buttons and a d-pad. It would require interface changes instead of a straight repackaging.
Shouldn't be too hard if we make 4 buttons arrows, 1 space 1 enter and 1 esc.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Snortimer wrote:
DHeadshot wrote:
Snortimer wrote: And then you could bundle up a PND to use on the Pandora? Hehe... 8)
10 buttons - most applications utilise the volume controls as extra keys...
Cereal Board!
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Levellass wrote:Can you send me the bitmap? There shouldn't be any difference at all, but if there is I'll include some protection checks. Remember, they have to be monochrome.
I sent it to your gmail, hopefully it was the right one. It's normal dimensions and monochrome. Maybe you'll have more success that I have.
Eat at Joe's
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

From what I can tell it modifies the bitmap format slightly, which I can deal with, but then rearranges the palette (In a monochrome bitmap for chrissake!) I think inverting the colors so that it's a white outline on a black bacground will fix the problem, *unless* your stupid program rearranges the palette depending on what color is most common. Try that and get back to me.

What program is doing this anyway?
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Inverting the palette didn't work either. The program I was using was Paint (the Win7 "ribbon" version). I figured even Paint couldn't screw up a monochrome image. Apparently I was wrong.

Switching to GIMP and starting fresh worked.
Eat at Joe's
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Right, I shall have to make a note of that somewhere. Win7 'ribbon' paint is not to be used.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Levellass wrote:Right, I shall have to make a note of that somewhere. Win7 'ribbon' paint is not to be used.
I'm hosting traditional Paint and Paintbrush on my Dropbox for use on the Windows 7 machines at Uni - I'd be happy to give a link if you want...
Cereal Board!