Keen 3: Levels You Can Actually Beat

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Toothpick
Vortininja

Keen 3: Levels You Can Actually Beat

Post by Toothpick »

Did you try to beat Caves of Oblivion the long way and could never get to the exit? Did you smash your keyboard trying to beat Fort Vorticon or Cape Canavorta? Well this level pack is for you. This level pack fixes the many level design errors found in the original Keen 3 that kept the game from realizing its true potential. Now you can beat Keen 3 in its entirety with all of the challenge and little of the tedium.

Download (04-02-2011):
Levels You Can Actually Beat

Download (04-18-2011):
The Bestest Keen 3

EDIT: Updated the download link with the necessary changes. I will update the change log later.

EDIT 2: Updated the download link for the last time. Now all necessary changes have been made. I also won't bother with the change log since so many changes have been made that it would be impossible to keep track anyway.

EDIT 3: New version of the level pack has been added. Check it out.

EDIT 4: Here's the only link to the mod that still works.
https://web.archive.org/web/20141013085 ... en%203.zip
Last edited by Toothpick on Thu Feb 08, 2024 22:00, edited 9 times in total.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Did you make the teleports easier to follow?
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

Ha! I wish.
Dibodo
Vortininja

Post by Dibodo »

Nice Job!

But you're forget some parts of some levels.

My observations:

Valden Park: Too much Stuffed Toy VortiNinja's.

New Vorticon: In the beginning of the level you can't take the zitto candy bars.

The Bonks: In the end of the level you cannot take the upper part of the points.

Beens: In the beginning of the level you can't not take a part of the ammo.

Fort Cavort: This level is too heavy for me. I can't pass the bottom part of the three lasers.

Cape Canavorta: The last part of the level are illogical. Skip the last Ankht. You can pass this part without a Ankh.

Caves of Oblivion: Very good revision. Well done.

Hal's Kitchen: Image
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

Dibodo wrote:Valden Park: Too much Stuffed Toy VortiNinja's.
Fixed.
Dibodo wrote:New Vorticon: In the beginning of the level you can't take the zitto candy bars.
Fixed.
Dibodo wrote:The Bonks: In the end of the level you cannot take the upper part of the points.
Fixed.
Dibodo wrote:Beens: In the beginning of the level you can't not take a part of the ammo.
Fixed.
Dibodo wrote:Fort Cavort: This level is too heavy for me. I can't pass the bottom part of the three lasers.
Time your jumps better.
Dibodo wrote:Cape Canavorta: The last part of the level are illogical. Skip the last Ankht. You can pass this part without a Ankh.
Fixed. Also be sure to find the shortcut I put in.
Dibodo wrote:Caves of Oblivion: Very good revision. Well done.
Thank you.

I also fixed Hal's Kitchen completely. Now you can explore the whole level. I have updated the download link above, so be sure to download it again if you already have.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I hope you fixed the end of the Caves of Oblivion where you can jump above the exit to get the teddy bears and get stuck. So close to beating that level the long way! Or was I missing something?
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

I fixed that too.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I like what you have done to the game except for one thing... why did you completely remove the balls and jacks? I liked them!
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Balls weren't really a problem, but the jacks were just insanely hard to avoid.
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

As I said on IRC, I'll put the balls and jacks back in if someone can code them to bounce linearly. If not, I would also be willing to put them back in if someone can code them to move slower.
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

Sorry to double post, but I have updated the level pack and uploaded it now for the last time. No more changes needed, not for a while anyway.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Not bad...definitely less of a "Keen 3 Plus" and more an improvement on the existing levels, which is good. One suggestion I have that may be beyond the scope of what you were trying to accomplish is purely aesthetic: I always thought that HAL's Kitchen was kind of fugly with all the repetitive wallpaper and mostly empty rooms, and I guess it probably wouldn't be impossible to make the level more presentable by adding more variety, more decoration, and so forth...again, it's not related to the gameplay and so probably wouldn't really figure in to the point of the levelpack, but it's something to consider.

Also, I haven't gotten to the Caves of Oblivion yet, which I think will be the most interesting level in the pack. I'll post again after I've played that...
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

Excellent. Also, I can add variation to the backgrounds. Cape Canavorta has a background that I think would go great with Hal's Kitchen. You can find it at the last building of Cape Canavorta.

To be honest with you all, I'm still revising the level pack. My mind has been going on overdrive with all of the things I can still fix. I would like to make a true Keen 3 Plus someday, but only to incorporate the following:

· Modified balls and jacks that either bounce linearly and/or slowly.
· Music, but only if Keen 1 and 2 can have music first.
· A different world map with transporters that are easy to follow.
· Make more of the levels mandatory.
· Neural Stunners in place of Pistols, although this is not necessary.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Neural stunners in place of pistols is a needless change and deviates from the plot. The slaughter of endless vorticons is almost a plot point, and was almost definitely the inspiration for the creation of the Neural Stunner: a way to harmlessly dispatch enemies (and pesky parents).
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

I know. That's why I considered replacing the Pistols with Neural Stunners. I always feel bad killing all those Vorticons. I know it's a plot point, but I think it's one that should have ended at Keen 2. The Vorticon Elder in Keen 2 already told Keen beforehand that the Vorticons were being brainwashed, so why did Keen wait until Keen 4 to make the Neural Stunner? It makes little sense, even within the context of Keen's fictional universe.

I'll probably keep the Pistols though. I'll just pull the 4Kids card and pretend the Vorticons got "injured" instead of killed. Yeah, they were slaughtered, but only figuratively.