The Bipship - Keen Utilities and More

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

So apparently my server is working, but no one's told me yet. But I can safely say that it is indeed working because I've gotten four distinct visitors, from:

- Helsinki, Finland
- Troy, New York, US
- Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- La Jolla, California, US

I'm guessing the first one is KeenRush, and the last one is Xky. (Google Maps says La Jolla is a 30 minute drive from Poway.)
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Heheh... do home ISPs let you do that? I didn't think they do (I remember reading a similar article on that site, and it said its usually agains ISP terms-of-use).

Kinda cool, though.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

A similar article on what site? That list of four people were the ones who accessed my site through the server I just installed on my own computer. The only site involved with the setup was dyndns.com, which I used to redirect bipship.selfip.net to my ip address.

edit ... and someone from Teaneck, New Jersey; Newcastle Upon Tyne, Great Britain; and the Google Bot. :-p

Okay, I'll stop now.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

It works for me.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

CK Guy wrote:A similar article on what site?
CK Guy, earlier, wrote:The first thing I did was create a password-protected server that let you browse and download my music library, which is something I bumped into by accident here.
That site. I probably should have been more clear (although you posted while I was typing my post, so my post should have come right after the one where you posted that link)
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Oh I see. I don't know if it's against the TOS for my ISP (which is my school, Dartmouth College). I poked around their website a bit, and can't find anything about that. Although that does seem like the sort of thing that could be an issue without them actually explicitly saying anywhere that it would be an issue.

If I get in trouble about it, I'll let you guys know, alright? ;-)
Herry Jerry
Vortininja

Post by Herry Jerry »

CK Guy wrote:Calgary, Alberta, Canada
*hides*

Nice site, though... I love the layout, the design, and the awesome php scripts... I don't even know how you make the navbar link to a page in a subdirectory of the page showing it... you have skills. Both in web design and PHP-ing. :drool

(One request, though, is it possible to make the upload script on upload.bipship.com visible in hack the bipship? Or do you have to integrate the uploader with the rest of the site?)
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Thanks!

As for the upload script, I'm not sure what its fate will be. I cannot just expose its source in its current state, because it contains a super password that can be used to upload an unlimited number of files.

If I do decide to do something with the uploader, I'll integrate with the rest of my site (as I did with the protected area and the keen collective).

In fact, there's another unfinished and until-now-unannounced section of the site (tl;dr) which will possibly be a place where registered users can post articles related to the technical aspects of Keen (eg, modding). I'm not sure of the fate of this other section either.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

This all sounds rather promising, hopefully all these sections get content. :) The article section is better than mine, you got one real article there already. :lol
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Okay, then. Probably my next big task with the site will be to get the articles section working more smoothly. (I'm currently not that happy with the interface, etc.) Then once I'm happy with everything (and maybe have added at least one real article of my own) I'll get it integrated with the rest of my site, and open it up for business (by giving the edit password to a couple of people, and letting other trustworthy people ask for it).

And don't forget, everyone, that the official site is still located at http://www.bipship.com/ The other one at http://bipship.selfip.net/ is not official and not everything works nicely on it. It's mainly an experiment on my part, although of course you are free to browse around on in, and let me know what doesn't work. (I already know about the sga-o-tron, I'm not sure exactly how to fix it, but it would involve building and install a copy of freetype2.)
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Well, I just discovered the amazingness of 'Google Apps for Your Domain'. So now my new email address is *anything* at bipship dot com. (And I'm not paying a cent for this. Woohoo!) Google Apps are pretty awesome - if I wanted to, I could create a bunch of user accounts within bipship.com, and each would have a separate email account, google calendar, google docs, etc.

(edit) And I can go to mail.bipship.com to check my mail! This is neat.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

*anything* at bipship dot com, eh? So we could send mail to "Mortimer_is_the_best" at bipship dot com, or "Keen_is_not_that_great" or even "CK_Guy_was_eaten_by_the_Dopefish"? ;)
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

XkyRauh wrote:*anything* at bipship dot com, eh? So we could send mail to "Mortimer_is_the_best" at bipship dot com, or "Keen_is_not_that_great" or even "CK_Guy_was_eaten_by_the_Dopefish"? ;)
If you really wanted to. :p They all get funneled into the same place. I believe Xtraverse's mail works the same way - *anything* at spatang dot com.
xtraverse
Stranded Fish

Post by xtraverse »

Indeed it does.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

So, some changes to my site. I thought I had a new article-writing system done nearly two months ago (August 8 according to the 'latest news') but it was not working, and I finally got around to fixing it today. So - http://www.bipship.com/tl;dr - check it out.

I've set up a temporary account (username and password are both "test"). Try it out, see if you guys can break it. :) Log in at http://www.bipship.com/members