Keen 9.5: The Eight Accumulators

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

I'm fixing quite a lot of these problems now. Some of these tile errors where intended though( like the walls in the Pyramid of Pain, because I think it gives a better effect than the actual wall tiles)

Thanks for pointing them out NY.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

While we're on the topic of constructive criticism, I would like to say that this great mod truly deserves a better title screen. The rest of the new artwork in the game is good, but the title screen definitely needs to be redone.
Just my opinion.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

I agree, but I personally don't particularly want to redo it, mainly because it took quite a while in MS Paint, but if anyone would like to just give me a pm.
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

So I downloaded the mod, and I started playing on hard, trying to beat it with only saving when its time to do something else. So far, I've completed:

The Oracle
Pyramid of Time
The Damp Woods
Vitrium
Lichen Caves
Gnostiene Village
Pyramid of Light

I haven't found any secret levels yet, but I have a feeling I may have missed one. And I have a guess as to which level its connected to.

So far, I find that the game feels very professional. The levels feel well put together, and its obvious that you spent a lot of time on each one. Despite how much I like level design, I'm not convinced I could make levels this keenish.

Difficulty wise on hard is definitely hard. It feels harder than Keen 4's hard, but that may just be because I don't actually know where I'm going. The first level I did was Gnostiene Village, and I was surprised at how hard it was for the first level. Then I realized that it was not actually the first level :)

I very much liked the atmosphere of the pyramid of light. The inchworms were used to great effect.

Maybe after I finish this, I'll see if I can run it without shooting :)
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

These are wonderful levels, and the graphical modifications generally work well! Like Stealthy71088 says, the levels are highly Keenish - always a good thing!

Is it entirely intentional that when 'Keen contemplates on Vitrium' it shouldn't say 'Keen goes gold-farming for hours on end in Vitrium, accruing phenomenal amounts of ammunition and points'? :P It makes what is already a fairly easy levelpack even easier. Not that I object to ease in a mod! On the whole, I am impressed!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Stealthy71088 wrote: Maybe after I finish this, I'll see if I can run it without shooting :)
I can think of one cramped hallway in particular, involving an Arachnut, that would make this an impossible feat.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

I'm a bit late. It's a nice mod though. I look at it as 4.5, not 9.5, lol. I fiddled around with it this morning for about half an hour. I found one bug, but overall thumbs up.
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I found what could be a very bad virus. After beating the Oracle and then Lichen Caves, I found it impossible to enter the ice like level right next to and above lichen caves. I know there's a level there because the flag pole is there. Is this "glitch" intentional (which actually wouldn't surprise me) or is it a glitch?
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Stealthy71088 wrote:I found what could be a very bad virus. After beating the Oracle and then Lichen Caves, I found it impossible to enter the ice like level right next to and above lichen caves. I know there's a level there because the flag pole is there. Is this "glitch" intentional (which actually wouldn't surprise me) or is it a glitch?
This is not a glitch. You are enter this level from somewhere else.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Alright, I finished it, with a score of 1314900, and 120+ ammo. The 314 was completely coincidental.

I wasn't able to get any further without in level saving.

And the secret levels I ended up having to save scum.

However, I was very pleased with it. I think the whole thing was very well done.

I also found the arachnut that Para thinks it would be impossible to sneak past. I agree with him. But I also think the level is so incredibly hard in a challenge like that that I might as well shoot him if I ever get that far...

I did notice in one of the pyramids, I think the pyramid of time- you can get yourself permanently stuck if you don't have the gem when you get to the first keyholder. You have to exploit a glitch and grab onto the bottom of one of the roof blocks, causing it to rocket you back to the top of the pyramid. Otherwise you're simply trapped.

I felt that the last secret level was a worthy successor to the original's. I think I lost more lives trying to beat that then my first time beating the pyramid of the forbidden.

The secret areas were very cleverly designed- you had to make a point of exploring everything to get in some of them.

I very very much how you were able to maintain the openness of Keen 4 and 1 in much of the mod. That's a much tougher effect to emulate then it looks.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

There were not enough secret areas. The original keen games are loaded with them... here, not so much.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I finished this late last night. It's a pretty good levelpack!

The outdoorsy pyramid area, the bird poop walls, the dithered meshing of different platform types, having 2 secret levels, and actually having the Oracle as a level were all neat touches. Image

This levelpack is memetastic!
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I played through this a while ago and didn't really get a chance to post about how awesome this is. Your level design has originality while being very polished and Keenish. Some of your new level designs for the world map were really neat and creative, particularly the entrance for "Lichen Caves."

My favorite level was Pyramid of Light. The outdoor sections with the stone blocks were very fun, and the observation tower section was brilliant. The new graphics in the Well of Wonders were also great to see. I would go as far as to say that your underwater level is better than the Well of Wishes.

Some bugs:

Pyramid of Light- the status screen reads "The Pyramid the Light," not "The Pyramid of Light"

This tile is misplaced. Other than that, all the bugs I found have already been reported. I'll tell you if I find any more.

Overall, this is the best Keen 4 level pack I've ever played. I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it.
Natnee
Grunt

Post by Natnee »

Great work on this mod, I enjoyed it a lot!
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

i played through this a couple of times, and the only complaint i have is that some areas require the choice of impossible pogo-or die, which might detract some players.

granted, most people probably won't get to this game without learning of the impossible pogo, but it's something that should be added just for that sake.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.