Keen 9.5: The Eight Accumulators

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

We have full packs of Keens 5, 6 and 8. Now we finally have one for Keen 4 and it is really good. As a Galaxy Keener I really like this pack. I have beaten easy twice and now I am playing on normal. Like most Galaxy games I intend to complete all levels on all difficulties. The level design is great. The balance of enemies is great. The new worldmap of Aspermontis with some new graphics is also impressive. Some new in-level graphics are nice as well. The story beginning to end is very Keenish and Keen's indifference to the council members when he saves them is also amusing.

Another plus is the balance of Lifewater Flasks here. There are 39 in the original Keen 4 where I only found 21 here. For the most part, you have one extra life for each level, a couple of levels have none where the 2 secret levels and one other level have more than one, but not an over abundance of them. Most of the lives take a bit of exploring to find, but exploration is half the fun in Commander Keen. Another plus are the secret levels themselves. Like Pyramid of the Forbidden these two levels are more difficult than most of the other levels. The conversation with the Oracle Janitor is very Keenish as well.

Just a quick thing about a few levels:

The Oracle- Very simple but well constructed level. When I first saw the Oracle within the level and saw the switch on it, it made me think of the Tantalus rays in Keen 2. It would have been cool if you could pull the switch somehow and the game ends BADLY!!! It was nice to see the Oracle within the game.

The Pyramid of Light- Another interesting and well constructed level. The mini pyramids within the level were also a nice touch.

Footsville- The path to the inchworms was cool. The minor gripe here is the switch to extend the platform below the door to the hut should have been made a lot harder to find. Instead of a pole to climb down to the two switches, this could have been made into a hidden drop down, had the switch hidden, or created some kind of alternate secret path that leads to the switch. As I said this is just a minor gripe.

The Desert Creek- A very well constructed secret level. Finding the Oracle Janitor was fun and the level allowed for great exloration.

Pyramid of Pain- This second secret level was well constructed and it definitely lives up to its name. It surely was a pain in the ass, but I like it!

Well of Wonders- The water level... I liked the new tiles and the hidden areas were cool. I have always wondered why there were never any hidden areas in the water levels and now I no longer have to wonder. It is cool someone finally tried this idea. I like this level a hell of a lot better than Well of Wishes.

Excellent job, Bubbatom, I cannot wait to play your next levelpack.

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Thanks, Syllypryde! I'm glad you enjoyed my levelpack! :dopefish
Syllypryde wrote:We have full packs of Keens 5, 6 and 8.
Would that Keen 6 levelpack be "The Rapid Pack"?
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Bubbatom wrote:Thanks, Syllypryde! I'm glad you enjoyed my levelpack! :dopefish
Syllypryde wrote:We have full packs of Keens 5, 6 and 8.
Would that Keen 6 levelpack be "The Rapid Pack"?
Do not forget Aliens Ate My Babysitter... Again.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Syllypryde wrote: Do not forget Aliens Ate My Babysitter... Again.
Yeah, I don't know whether to consider it a mod or a levelpack. :oops
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Bubbatom wrote:
Syllypryde wrote: Do not forget Aliens Ate My Babysitter... Again.
Yeah, I don't know whether to consider it a mod or a levelpack. :oops
Regardless, it is still a Keen 6 modification whether mod or levelpack.

Edit: I have 15 of the 17 levels complete on normal. I am stuck on The Crack and Well of Wonders. I keep making stupid mistakes in the formal level and just like Well of Wishes I cannot make it past the two dopefish in the huge open area. Of course, if I just went straight to the council member I could easily complete this level rather then getting greedy and trying to collect every single point.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
neek
Vortininja

Post by neek »

This is awesome! :garg Good work.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

:spot Thanks!
SpeedyDasher
Meep

Speedrun

Post by SpeedyDasher »

Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

G'day, and sorry for bumping this thread up.
But today I felt like fixing a few issues with this. The only real things fixed are the ammo - I've greatly reduced this in the level that aren't the first five. And I thought I'd better fix the sky in 'The Crack' and changed it's colour back to the Chasm of Chills colour (The darker blue).
I'm not sure whether anyone will feel the need to go back and play this with the reduced ammo, but I thought I'd better fix it none the less.
Thanks, Tom.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

yay, I feel good for having not played this yet, and having planned to start this weekend.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Good on ya, tulip! :dopefish
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Aaand I did it, I started it today.

Just a small error I found: "I did'nt think I would find this here"

Great work so far. I played around 5 levels, some feel a little aimless (Swooping Bluebird Cave) but it's all within limits. Nice custom graphics too.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

tulip wrote:Just a small error I found: "I did'nt think I would find this here"
Just fixed this. And thanks for playing and enjoying!
Hope your looking forward to Suburb Shenanigans!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

I'm SUPER excited about Suburb Shenanigans! I'm looking forward to it even more than my birthday!
:birthday
Nah, but seriously, you're my Keen Mod Role model, Bubbatom! Can't wait!!!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Thanks troublesomekeen! :dopefish