Keen 9.5: The Eight Accumulators

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well, I've finished this. Very well done!

What I like the most is the level design of some of the levels.

Image Image Image Image
Simply beautiful!

*Spoilers*
Also, the level design overall differentiates enough from the familiar Ceilick's one, and from others as well. Clever ideas with the Oracle. Also some clever ideas here and there, which is very nice! The ending is quite funny. It would be even funnier, if Mortimer was looking at a Playboy magazine.

On the cons side, didn't like the Keen's attitude. IMO Keen shouldn't be that rude. The secret levels were hard, but weren't that interested. Didn't played the latest version, but there are a lots of tile mismatches/wrong tiles in every level.

Overall, an awesome level pack.

I'm curious. You mentioned that it's a level pack. However it's also a mod. I'm unsure in which category can this go. Something in-between? For me, it should go to the mods category since it got some new graphics.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Bit more details now that I've completed the game:

I love the story. It has a great sense of being filled with enough details and movement while still being brief and to the point. The story art (both intro and conclusion), while minimalist, is also great and really added to the atmosphere for me.

Both the Oracle running on batteries, and that fact that the janitor reveals this has 'happened before' due to them being putting them in the wrong way is hilariously keenish.

One thing that wasn't really clear to me while reading the intro story, that became clear in the ending, was what Keen meant when he said saving the council members again would help him discover what happened to Mortimer. If you do some revisions, I highly suggest making the use of the Oracle for finding Mortimer more explicit.

As I said before, I really enjoy your characterization of Keen has aloof and brief. I think it's great that the original games did so little characterization for Keen that we can have hilarious interpretations like this that 'work'.

Really enjoyed the original graphics and your usage of the Keen 4 demo graphics. They were nearly always blended in seamlessly and kept things fresh, new, and exciting. Similar to this, your blending of the various environments was really fantastic and made exploring very worthwhile. There were a number of times that I found the exit to a level and I turned back because I wasn't ready to leave yet. This almost never happens to me when I'm playing a Keen game.

The level design was very good. While it was very linear, it did have distractions along the way and often I was unbothered by the linearity because I was so excited to move forward and see and discover the terrain ahead. You'd established in the screenshots during development that there would be a lot of blending of environments and your level design really complimented this style.

The difficulty was very good (I played on hard mode) and my only complain in this respect is that there are WAY too many guns. After the first few levels, I was never below 60 shots, and this low only because I found myself spamming shots at enemies just for fun.

The end story is great as well, although finding Mortimer alive and well and just hanging out was a bit of a surprise. While funny, thematically it felt off in the grand scheme of things.

Really, though, I'm flattered and proud to consider this as part of the unofficial TUIT story line.

Excellent work :)
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Thanks for the feedback Ceilick and wiivn, I really appreciate it!
I really tried to make this mod/levelpack (whatever it is) interesting the whole way through.

With the ending and Mortimer, I kept it quite brief so that you could find out the full ending in another mod.

Thanks again.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

I have been playing some more and I really like some levels. Just passed Pyramid of Time a few minutes ago. Really liked it. Especially as it has you enter from outside... and then you basically go underground. :) Some of the level were really nicely designed. Some levels were not hard, but easy, which is a great plus. I like how many levels did not require you to get "all the keys"... and so yeah meh I can't find many secret areas. There are some but they are not so jam packed.
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
pecet
Meep

Post by pecet »

Registered here to say that: absolutely love this mod, hasn't finished it yet, but I really really love it. I'm not really hardcore keen player, so I like how your mod on easy is similar to difficulty of original Keen 4 on easy. Also I love usage of original graphics, because Keen 4 is my second favorite keen game (first is Keen 1), sorry for that but I like your mod so far more than Keen 7, still I must catch up with 8,9 ;)
Scilicet
Vortininja

Post by Scilicet »

I played through this yesterday and enjoyed it. The level design is phenomenal. I felt like I took shortcuts through some levels, especially the water one.
Mortimer is alive? Nooooo...
I also feel that Keen is too rude.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Scilicet wrote:I also feel that Keen is too rude.
He's getting closer to puberty.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

He's Still. Fucling. 8 Years old! How much time do you think passes between these episodes? This is literally immediately after keen 9 takes place.

Actually, I have no idea how much time passed between Keen 6 and 7 either, but ID said it was supposed to be Xmas '92, a full year later IRL, but in the keen universe, it doesn't make sense because mortimer would naturally want the universe destroyed ASAP before Keen decodes that SGA letter... that he left at his desk for him to find.... I know it can be argued that mort wants a challenge, but by doing this it seems like he just doesn't want to win.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

My apologies, I didn't even notice this mod was released! I've played a couple levels, and so far, I'm impressed. The levels are not too difficult, nor too easy, and there are several places where you can risk a life in order to get extra points. I also like the level designs, especially the transitions from cave to grassy theme. Oh, and the world map is really well done, the level entrances are very keenish.

As for Keen's clearly visible frustration/boredom, I find it hilarious :D (now I know where VBB's signature comes from :P)
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

This feels like Keen 4 did when I first played it. Thank you, you are wonderful. :)
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I have to say, K4 music has never irritated me as much as now. Thank goodness it can be turned off.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Yes, as I was going through the game checking for bugs and glitches before the release the music was really repetitive and annoying. I usually play this game with just the PC sound fx because it brings me back to the days of keen 4.
CannonGuy
Grunt

Post by CannonGuy »

This level pack is better than Keen4.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I wouldn't say that, but it certainly did it justice.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Post by The Keen Commander »

I played Keen 4 so much when I was younger that I kind of got semi-bored with it. This has made me a bigger fan of Keen 4. Even though Keen 5 is my favorite, I have yet to see a Keen 5 level pack that is as good as this is for Keen 4 (No offense to anyone who has made a Keen 5 level pack).
I'd like to get a Futurama mod going. Here's what I've got so far:
http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2152