Dead in the Desert Community Levelpack

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

wiivn wrote:
GARGapplesauce wrote:And isn't PARAMULTART written in the background of "Keen doesn't consider this a level" anyhow?
I noticed it too. That's why he was working so hard on it.
Also in one of the levels, VBB.
Owh Sorry, I didn't notice!
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

Nicely put together! I love the world map. And the "special" level is just awesome.
I'm sick of armani sunglases
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Oops, those bugs should all be fixed now -- thanks for pointing those out; same download link as in the first post.

Glad you guys are enjoying it so far, and I'll post my impressions, too, as soon as I get around to... actually playing all the levels. :o :foot
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well some beta testing and polishing wouldn't hurt. Some levels are good, but there are so many bugs and wrong tiles that after all those 9 months the baby that came out of this looks ugly ;) :lol
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

The first level I played was the first one I submitted :D

Edit: When I beat The Love Shack (which should be Sonichu and Rosechu's Luv Shack :x ) The Keen Flag doesn't appear on the map, and you can re-enter the level again and again. It doesn't look like it was blocking the path to anything necessary, though.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Wiivn, please remember that we tried to avoid altering people's submissions as much as possible. We fixed any easy bugs we found, but many things we just left the way they were to respect the original creator, even if the level quality wasn't that great. It seems that a lot of the levels were not playtested very well before being submitted to us, either. As for the world map and other stuff, the bugs there are just a result of rushing to get this released in time for Christmas.
The Keen Flag doesn't appear on the map, and you can re-enter the level again and again
The reason for this is because we replaced the high scores with your level in order to include it. Because of that, things don't work perfectly. You'll also notice that when the high scores screen plays, it ends up being your level. As for the name, you do realize that we can't have level names that long? Also, can I ask why every door links one tile higher than normal in that level? Even still, I had some fun trying to solve that cruel level.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Gridlock wrote:As for the name, you do realize that we can't have level names that long?
You put the full name on the level entry text for World Between Worlds and shortened it for the in-level name, why not do the same in this instance?
Gridlock wrote:Also, can I ask why every door links one tile higher than normal in that level?
Because it was the second galaxy map I ever made :dopefish
also some of the thrusting floor spikes don't go up all the way, lol.

Here are my guesses for who authored the levels I've seen so far:
The impossible factory: Tulip (I know you're a Keenrush fanboy, Tulip! :x )
Sandipstick: GARGapplesauce
Switches and Btches: Gridlock? I still haven't completed it yet because of this weird platform puzzle, but it seems well designed and free of any tile errors.
Warm Sand: Keenfan. This level is easy and has no enemies in it, probably because they used too many background and foreground tiles to have room for sprite tiles, so I'm going to guess it's this new guy I never heard of.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Would it be possible to add a title screen and call it its own mod, not a level pack?
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Scarlet wrote:Would it be possible to add a title screen and call it its own mod, not a level pack?
No because it'd still be a levelpack?

And haha, nice guesses vbb. :mortlol
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I skipped everyone's level and just played mine.

(I will play through the whole pack soon) ;)
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Switches and Btches: Gridlock? I still haven't completed it yet because of this weird platform puzzle, but it seems well designed and free of any tile errors.
The only clever thing in this bitchin' level is the part with the moving platforms and switches. Credit given. Everything else is just garg for filling the rest of the level. The level feels empty. It's far away from being "free of any tile errors". And the worst part - where you can't see what you're doing. Who thought this would be "clever"? Whoever design this is a bitch :).
VikingBoyBilly wrote:Warm Sand: Keenfan. This level is easy and has no enemies in it, probably because they used too many background and foreground tiles to have room for sprite tiles, so I'm going to guess it's this new guy I never heard of.
One unique level that looks cool and it's empty...
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Well done everyone.

The world map name was funny, and surprise; the original name "Calidune" wasn't a pun on "California", but "Calid" (although I'm sure that's where California got it's name). Well played.

So far I've only completed the surface levels, my favorites being "Switches and Btiches", and "Warm Sands".

Lemm, I presume, is responsible for the first. It is genius, especially the hidden part. It took me one death to realize what was going on and I was really blown away by the cleverness of it.

Mink, I'm guessing, is responsible for the second. It's work of art, and I imagine that's why it took so long/there aren't any enemies or points.

Edit: Missed one surface level, which I actually like a lot, especially since out of all the levels I've played thus far, it most resembles my own style. The Hydro Pumping Station is great, Mr. M.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Yay! Thank you Gridlock for doing this! :)

Then ones I've played so far are astronomically well designed! Well and truly puts my level in the "easy" bin.

Great work everyone! :)
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Warm Sand: Keenfan. This level is easy and has no enemies in it, probably because they used too many background and foreground tiles to have room for sprite tiles, so I'm going to guess it's this new guy I never heard of.
Nope, completely wrong. Mine ist pretty cool and features two switch puzzles. :-)
I'm sick of armani sunglases
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

New Guesses:

Cacti Caverns: Keenfan?
Scorch Valley: Gridlock
The Boring Desert: Gridlock. I can't find this red gem, but it's not necessary to exit the level. Therefore I assume it is the secret level exit, which I know Gridlock is responsible for ;)