Mystery of Isis IIa - v1.0a

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
ckGeoff
Vortininja

Post by ckGeoff »

Did you try shooting the yellow enemy? All enemies have different numbers of hit points and damage.

Admittedly, there are a few too many critters and probably not enough ammo on Level 3, but it is possible. Also there's a check point on the other side of the mountain. The check points are the small red circles - they are not actually documented.

As I've mentioned before though, more than anything this game is a "proof of concept". It's trivial for someone to edit the level to make it better/easier/more fun - the engine and tools are there, it just requires some dedication.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

neat music
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I got this error in level 3:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "isis.py", line 403, in <module>
ValueError: subsurface rectangle outside surface area

I think level 3 can be split into two levels. The yellow enemy takes too much damage and too much shots to be killed. And there are a lot of these creatures. Any cheats?

*update. Sometimes a bug occur where you cannot grab edges. I know it's alpha, but I'm getting pissed off. I've playing level 3 for hours and when I thought I was gonna beat that level, I got stuck in the walls...

*update. So finally!!!!!!!! After gazillion times, I made it through level 3! If anyone can make it through level 3, the rest of the levels will be a piece of cake!
Level 4 took me only 2 tries. Level 5 was unbelievably short compared to the others, but hard at the beginning. On level 6: When turned on a switch for a platform, the platform moves to the right until it exit the level off the screen, and an error occurs:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "isis.py", line 231, in <module>
File "isis_keen.pyo", line 481, in update
File "isis_keen.pyo", line 1365, in gfnKeen_updatePosition
File "isis_keen.pyo", line 2089, in gfn_Push
File "isis_keen.pyo", line 2130, in gfn_GetInfoTiles
IndexError: list index out of range
ckGeoff
Vortininja

Post by ckGeoff »

wiivn,

Thanks for the bug reports and info. I'll look into them.

Apologies Level 3 was so hard - it wasn't the intention!

I'll perhaps put together an update which fixes the bugs, and makes Level 3 passable. As you mentioned, some of the subsequent levels are short/easy - mainly because they are incomplete and serve more as placeholders than anything else, but at least give an idea of how they were envisioned to look.

I'll also fix the platform bug in Level 6.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Level 3 actually isn't too hard once you know where the keys are to complete the level (there are some key doors that just lead to points).

Level 5 has what I'm assuming to be a bug. As soon as I enter the level my health starts decreasing rapidly without me actually touching any hazards or enemies. Even if this "bug" wasn't there, there would still be way to many of the hovercraft enemies..
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

That said, if you finish level 4 with little health, I think level 5 will be impossible to be beaten.

Hovercrafts are easy. Just shoot a few times at the level where they're flying.

Level 7 needs more guns.

That's it. I cannot pass through level 8. I can't reach the blue door. Not only that, but I don't have enough health and ammo and there's little to none of that in it. Add more +5 healths and more ammo in the beginning as well as in later parts. Adding that in the other levels would be nice too...

I think this game is too little or not tested at all.
ckGeoff
Vortininja

Post by ckGeoff »

Bubbatom,

You should only lose your health if you touch the degen item, which you shouldn't do unless you move right from the start. Try using the Pulsar (#3) on the hovers, since it passes through enemies.

wiivn,

Yes - regrettably the levels weren't fully tested. Indeed as it has been said before, a number of them are "placeholders" more than anything. And the project on the whole got to the state where it is this or nothing.

It is hoped some people may enjoy some aspects of the game enough to tinker with creating their own levels, which could end up being used as the official levels.

For now, I've updated the engine (fixed slope bug, and Keen invincible when he walks through a door) and very quickly changed a few of the item/enemy placements on the levels. I also made Level 8 passable - very sorry about that. And finally, lessened the Yellowmouth damage. If you copy your savegame file over, your progress will be saved. The new link is amended to the original post.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

I've been waiting for this project to finish for a long time, and having played it, I have to say that it really feels like the lost Keen sequel we've been waiting for all of these years!
It might need a bit more polish (Keen won't grip cliffs as easily or climb up them as fast as he did in 4-6), but this was worth waiting fifteen years for. :D

It would be nice if there was a way to change the pogo stick button and enable two-button firing, though.
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

I played trough the first two levels and there were many things I really liked about them. It has already been said that the levels are too big and difficult right now, adding checkpoints would be a great idea. I love the music and the graphics. Not using the Alt key to jump feels strange but I think I can get used to it.
I'm really looking forward to where this project will get in the future.
I'm sick of armani sunglases
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I beat it! Yeaah! It was hard game, but after you get used to the gameplay and controls, everything looks better. The hard difficulty actually keeps you more focused. Sometimes with these huge levels (like level 3) it felt like Knutt Stories to me. And level 9! It is the best one yet in terms of graphics, level design, difficulty and gameplay duration. I think in terms of quality, it obviously stands above them all. It was well worth seeing it.

Maybe you know it, but it's worth pointing out also some things.
- If you play again a previous level and beat it with better health and ammo, the game doesn't count that, but your first attempt.
- It's no use to kill the re-spawn enemies in level 8 because they're not counted in the statistics. Talking about statistics, I've got only one level 10/10. Most of the levels are between 5-8/10.
Ironically, the best music was in the shortest level, which was level 7 I think.
- I didn't understood some of the power ups. Most of them lasts too short. Neither understood the items that were supposed to be used with F2, F3, etc. I think a pop-up window explaining them and how to use them would be more appropriate when you collect them for the first time, rather then reading a help file. Btw the help menu isn't accessible during the game, but only in the main menu.

Overall, this game really feels like a completely new and unique Keen adventure. Big thanks goes to you for bringing it to wider audience. But it still needs a lot of polishing and bug fixing.
ckGeoff
Vortininja

Post by ckGeoff »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate that you can see the game for the potential, despite the unfinished levels and few mechanics issues that are present.

wiivn,

The only time the game re-saves your progress is if you beat the star rating. This is probably something to think about how to do better. What to do if you get a worse rating, but better health/ammo? More ammo, but less health? Again, in the absence of saving potential, not sure what is best here.

If you read the info via F1, the Isonian enemies do not actually re-spawn, they teleport and heal themselves. If you use the Ion Scanner (F3) item (assuming you found it), or experiment, you can work out how to kill them. However, while the enemy stats are tallied, they do not count toward star rating. This was because it became too easy since much ammo was required to kill every enemy.

Star ratings work on % items collected (9/10 means >90%, etc), and a rating of 10/10 would mean you found every secret area. The idea is to give replay value - which should exist in at least Levels 1 and 2. There are many secret areas throughout most the levels. If all the secrets are found first go, surely that is boring! Checkpoints however, will mean if you die, the previous items you collected up until that point, won't be counted.

Powerups:
- red ring: gives 4x point multiplier for short period
- shoes: gives Keen fast running/higher jumping ability. Normally, there may be a bonus to get to which you can't get to otherwise
- degen: Keen's health deteriorates over time
- regen: Keen's health heals over time
- crazy Keen: controls and speeds go random
- anti-powerup (grey): stops any powerup (useful if you get a bad powerup)

Items:
- batteries, F1: generally there is 1 battery found per level. They charge up your other items. Use F1 to charge. when batteries are empty, they recharge slowly via solar panels.
- shield, F2: when used, you get protection against bullets. This should help in some levels!
- Ion scanner, F3: shows how many hit points left on an enemy. This could be useful in say, Level 8.

Above all things, wiivn, thanks for your criticism, frustration and comments! The whole health system, which is new to Keen, demanded a slightly different style of gameplay, which is probably not yet perfected or balanced correctly. The addition of powerups and inventory, also open the doors to make new and interesting puzzles and scenarios - again which are probably not fully utilised as yet - but hopefully people can see the possibilities, and even create some levels of their own that better make use of the features.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I have only completed the first two levels in the game, but I can say I really like it. A couple of things:

1. On level 1, did anyone find the secret passage that leads to a massive underground area? I found it and it was cool.

2. On level 2, just below a door suspended in air, there is a purple item that I refer to as the "suicide point" because when I grab it, Keen glows, immediately walks over to the spikes (I have absolutely no control), he hits the spikes and dies! Basically, he commits suicide. What the hell is this item?

3. Once I get multiple weapons how do I pick which weapon I want to use?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
ckGeoff
Vortininja

Post by ckGeoff »

Syllypryde,

1. Well done!

2. It's not necessarily a suicide point. If you read the help (F1, via the menu screen) you'd find out that is the "Crazy Keen" power-up. The controls (left/right) are reversed, and run speeds & jump heights become random, and change quickly. It's possible if it randomises your run speed to something extremely slow, you might not be able to escape the spikes, but normally it's possible. You can clear this item by collecting it from the ground, just be careful to use the reverse direction to move back! Still, you'll need to be careful going through that door from the other side.

3. Again, read the help menu for controls. You select a weapon using the number keys. 1- Blow gun, 2- Zeffer, 3-Pulsar, etc.

Thanks for the positive feedback, and prepared to get annoyed from Level 3 onward!
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

I think Keen could be a little less responsive in mid air. When you press the horizontal movement buttons, he should have to slow down a bit first before moving in the opposite directions.
ckGeoff
Vortininja

Post by ckGeoff »

Thanks for pointing that out lemm, I'll look into it.