Marta's Keen Rescue

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

On the contrary, I think it's an interesting take on the Keeniverse. Good job, Paramultart & VBB!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Scarlet wrote:That's the one part of the game that I do not like. To put a disability on a character makes that disability more acceptable/normal. No disability is normal, and therefore I think that this is a terrible thing to do to a character.
... what? :confused
No matter how I try to read that, it sounds negative. It looks like you're saying anyone with a disability should feel abnormal, and it's wrong to give a protagonist/hero character a disability because it makes the disability seem more acceptable.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
Scarlet wrote:That's the one part of the game that I do not like. To put a disability on a character makes that disability more acceptable/normal. No disability is normal, and therefore I think that this is a terrible thing to do to a character.
... what? :confused
No matter how I try to read that, it sounds negative. It looks like you're saying anyone with a disability should feel abnormal, and it's wrong to give a protagonist/hero character a disability because it makes the disability seem more acceptable.
I am saying that I think that it's best to not have people with downs syndrome and such stuff as the main characters, or characters at all.
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Scarlet wrote:I am saying that I think that it's best to not have people with downs syndrome and such stuff as the main characters, or characters at all.
Well Down's Syndrome != dyslexia, for one thing...
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Why not? Equal opportunity and all... things like this show that people who may have abnormal conditions are not totally disabled and can still do amazing things. </something>

Also, factorial 1000:
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Fleexy wrote:Why not? Equal opportunity and all... things like this show that people who may have abnormal conditions are not totally disabled and can still do amazing things. </something>

Also, factorial 1000:
Disabilities are things that I think should not be promoted. No offense to people with disabilities, but a disability is something bad, not something good.
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Scarlet wrote:Disabilities are things that I think should not be promoted. No offense to people with disabilities, but a disability is something bad, not something good.

I've not had a chance to play the game yet, but the idea of a major character with a disability is something I'd really like to see explored. Some of the strongest people I know have mental or physical disabilities and are a hell of a lot nicer than you Scarlet. Get a life; your views are what should not be promoted. If you keep this view I hope someone sees sense and gives YOU a disability.

If that's your only real complaint about the mod then I reckon it's a success!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Drop it now, Scarlet and all those responding to him, or the ban hammer comes out.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I know we're not supposed to respond, but I'm not arguing or anything, and I just want to say that some of the things said in this thread either made me sick or feel really sad. That is all.

VikingBoyBilly has autism, and I know Scarlet is aware of that, so that has to be the most blatantly insensitive comment I have ever heard since someone once told me to "wear a rubber next time" while my wife was in labour.

People can be very sick and cruel at times, and for some reason, I expected better from you, Scarlet.

I may be the village idiot around here, but at least I'm not a heartless monster.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Paramultart wrote:I know we're not supposed to respond, but I'm not arguing or anything, and I just want to say that some of the things said in this thread either made me sick or feel really sad. That is all.

VikingBoyBilly has autism, and I know Scarlet is aware of that, so that has to be the most blatantly insensitive comment I have ever heard since someone once told me to "wear a rubber next time" while my wife was in labour.

People can be very sick and cruel at times, and for some reason, I expected better from you, Scarlet.

I may be the village idiot around here, but at least I'm not a heartless monster.
Para, I am not aware of anyone having autism. Please don't assume. I have some stuff too. At any rate, VBB and I talked about this a bit. Basically the it amounted to me having no complaints about the game itself, but that his youtube previews, which he removed per your request, was the more troubling thing. The game itself does not suggest in any way that the main character is disabled in any way.

Now if you want to make the main character a cancer patient, a rape victim, or other such unfortunate things, well too bad! Perhaps you might want to make the main character have a spine problem like I do. It won't make me feel any better. Just in general I think that one ought to set a good example rather than a bad one. Abnormalities/deformations are not a good example. That said, I am in no way insulting anyone who has these things. But if someone wants to glorify certain unfortunate conditions... well that's outright troubling in my opinion. Those things ought not be glorified like they have been in the removed youtube video preview.

Sorry if I get banned for this post. :P I don't get why is such a big deal to cause so much commotion.

edit: Someone told me this recently...
You just said that main characters shouldn't have disabilities because they're less of people.
This is totally wrong. I do not feel that they are any lesser than me or anyone else. If anyone jumps to this conclusion, well sorry.
That said, the mod does not go out of the way to suggest any unfortunate thing whatsoever. So I give my own approval to the mod. However, VBB's trailer is a whole other story. It went out of its way to state some things that I think were not good. AND NO BIG DEAL, WHO CARES, the point is that a pretty nice mod was made.
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Okay, so long as Scarlet is saying being raped makes you someone with a disability, and so long as he can't see that this mod makes clear that you can't even see most people's disabilities, and so long as he can't see how what he's saying could possibly offend anyone, I request he be banned.

It's offensive and I have friends who've been victims of sexual assault who'd be horrified to see what he's written (though I can't speak for everyone, I know some who would be).

In fact, it's so common I wouldn't be surprised if some PCKF members are victims of sexual assault. Could a mod please edit or delete offending posts?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Para, you could have ended it with a general claim against insensativity, but you went on to make this personal and directly address Scarlet when I said it was over. Weeks ban.

Over the line, Scarlet. Two weeks.

Keening Product, if you have a problem with a forum member, you take it up with a Moderator. You also don't continue this crap when I say it's over. Weeks ban.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I have not made it any farther than the first eleven levels I mentioned earlier, but I find the title screen a little creepy. In game, Marta looks quite Keenish, but she looks a little demented, even possibly evil. She looks like she is definitely ready to kill.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Syllypryde wrote:I have not made it any farther than the first eleven levels I mentioned earlier, but I find the title screen a little creepy. In game, Marta looks quite Keenish, but she looks a little demented, even possibly evil. She looks like she is definitely ready to kill.
I thought I was the only one who noticed! Then again, she's probably just a mischievous kid, being the age that she is. My congratulations to whoever drew the title screen, anyway. Pixel art is difficult, especially with the EGA palette.

I have not finished the mod yet, but I definitely like what I see so far!

And by the way, the level where you fall through the wavy fire-pit of death seems like a Paramultart level to me. I don't have interest enough to export graphics and run the levels through Mindbelt, but it's a hunch I have.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Syllypryde wrote:I have not made it any farther than the first eleven levels I mentioned earlier, but I find the title screen a little creepy. In game, Marta looks quite Keenish, but she looks a little demented, even possibly evil. She looks like she is definitely ready to kill.
I think she looks great, pro title screen if you ask me, apart from the background which is a little meaningless.

I liked the mod, has an oldschool feel to it, mostly recolored graphics, no enemy patches. Classic keening experience.
Image You crack me up little buddy!