EZPATCH Developer Preview

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

EZPATCH Developer Preview

Post by Fleexy »

The major problem referenced here had been fixed. See the Consumer Preview thread for the new version. The original text follows.

Happy birthday, Einstein :birthday

EZPATCH is a Win32 program that assists in the addition of patches to a mod. This program would be very useful to someone who has trouble figuring out what numbers in patches mean or where to insert or replace bytes. EZPATCH reads from three files (PDB - Patch DataBase, PBR - Patch Binary Reference, PBF - Patch Binary File) to assemble a perfectly formed CKPATCH file. Users don't need to figure out how to manage those weird binaries, EZPATCH stores them in the PBR/PBF and spills the necessary files to the mod directory.

There are just two problems. First, there are thousands of patches which need to be converted into its database format. I'll need help. If people do want to help, I'll whip up a utility to enter patch data and autoconvert to the PDB format. The file formats are included in the ZIP file. Second problem (and this is why it's called Developer Preview): there's an inexplicable problem in the code of EZPATCH causing it to overwrite all patches that the user added with the last patch. I've tried a lot of things, and it still does it. So, if any .NET developers want to help, PM/email me (fleexy @t mchsi d.t com) and I'll get back to you with the related code shards.

So, without further ado, the EZPATCH Developer Preview. PBR/PBF don't have anything yet, and PDB has only a few Keen 1 patches. Check out the packaged help file for help. Have fun experimenting with the interface, and happy Keen Day!

Download
Last edited by Fleexy on Fri Mar 16, 2012 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

In the interest of fairness... ;)

This looks immensely useful, especially for somebody like myself who isn't very familiar with patching. I haven't had a chance to play with the interface yet but hopefully levellass and/or others can help build your database. :)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

This sounds like it's going to be the best tool for keeners ever and will easily kill theneuralstunner. Please, keep working on it! :dead2
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I wish Syllypryde was a modder so he could give me a few paragraphs of review! :)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I have one small suggestion (even though I haven't tried it yet): can you not make it a win32 program? It would be sort of nice to run on linux. Maybe wine does the trick and it's all ok.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass