FleexCore - A .NET Keen level API

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

FleexCore - A .NET Keen level API

Post by Fleexy »

If you've ever had a great idea for a level editor but couldn't implement it due to the apparent complexity of level I/O, FleexCore is for you! This .NET 4.0 DLL is meant to be referenced by level editor programs.

It contains (for now) a single useful class: VortLevel. This class represents a single Keen:Vorticons level. Simply call the shared FromFile function to load a file from disk and ToFile to write any modifications to disk. The level can be modified in-memory by reading/writing individual tiles/sprites with the Tiles or Sprites property.

FleexCore can save in three level formats: FleexFastIO (not readable by Keen, but fast and simple I/O by FleexCore), Keen (the native Keen:Vorticons level format without any compression), or KeenRLEW (normal format with maximum-size-efficiency RLEW compression). The FromFile method will automatically detect the format used.

I will eventually add classes for Galaxy and Dreams levels, and maybe even the Keen graphics formats. Please post bug reports, suggestions, and possible improvements below.

Download FleexCore v1.0

I have a very interesting use for this...
Vitaminzach
Grunt

Post by Vitaminzach »

Thanks Fleexy, can't wait to give this a try later!
helium
Meep

Post by helium »

What is the license?
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

helium wrote:What is the license?
As long as you don't pass it off as your own I/O, I'm fine. I suppose that'd be pretty difficult with a "FleexCore.dll" in the application directory though. I'd appreciate attribution and a link to this topic :)