Zoltan's revenge

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Levellass wrote:Then don't play it. :p

Frankly, does anyone actually run out of lives at all? Are 1UPs worth ANYTHING in Keen? What with save scumming and all I frankly dislike the entire lives system and I'm not alone. It's a relic of the arcade days and the 'insert coin to continue' there's no need for it.
You and I have had this debate before. We did agree that with people who abuse the in-level saving, extra lives are meaningless. But you must have forgotten that I (perhaps others as well) rarely use the saving feature, making extra lives worth something to us. Spleen has mentioned in the past about setting up Keen so the only time you score points, ammo and extra lives is when you complete the level. You lose those things if you die. If there was a way to patch the game in that manner, I would be all for it. I am sure sometime you and/or Lemm will figure out a way to do it.

Mr. Black set up his Keen 4 level pack so only one extra life is available for each level. That is one great example of making extra lives meaningful... again if you do not abuse the in-level saving.

But everyone plays differently. Playing my way can actually bring game overs.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

yeah and then nothing gets fixed. thats always a cop-out statement.
but its just my opinion of the mod ofcourse. maybe people like raking up 60 lives in a minute, who knows.

Frankly, does anyone actually run out of lives at all? Are 1UPs worth ANYTHING in Keen? What with save scumming and all I frankly dislike the entire lives system and I'm not alone. It's a relic of the arcade days and the 'insert coin to continue' there's no need for it.
well the point is is that the mod *has* a lives system, so deal with it or patch it to change it, i suppose.

EDIT: oh i see syllypride beat me to the punch. you win this round, syllypride! :celtic
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Bernie wrote:
yeah and then nothing gets fixed. thats always a cop-out statement.
but its just my opinion of the mod ofcourse. maybe people like raking up 60 lives in a minute, who knows.
The problem being at some point you have to go 'No, that's all I'm doing'; there will always be bugs and issues, but at what point do you quit? Given the Keen community's pacing I think that after the initial fanfare dies down there's no real point. I mean, what happens if I 'fix' the game? Is there anyone, any ONE person who's going to download it and play the 'improved' version? I think not.

Benvolio wrote:PATCH REQUEST: "Credit Card Keen"

Please reprogramme Keen1 so that every time a player enters a level, $1 goes directly to Benvolio's account.
Darn it EA Games, stop posting here!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Levellass wrote:The problem being at some point you have to go 'No, that's all I'm doing'; there will always be bugs and issues, but at what point do you quit? Given the Keen community's pacing I think that after the initial fanfare dies down there's no real point. I mean, what happens if I 'fix' the game? Is there anyone, any ONE person who's going to download it and play the 'improved' version? I think not.
Well, you are half-right, Lass. You are making the incorrect assumption that when a Keener completes a game they never play it ever again. That is not true. I cannot speak for other Keeners, but I have played several mods again, even after I beat them. With Galaxy mods once you beat it, you play on the next hardest skill level. For at least two of your mods (Shadowkeen 4: Zoltan's Revenge and Valentine's Day Bash) I've played over several times. I beat each of them on easy twice and normal once. I've yet to start a hard run on either of them. Once I do complete a new mod, yes, it might be months, or even a full year before I go back to it, but if I liked the game enough, I will eventually play it again. So if you improved the game (made changes I like), I would download the new version.

Where you are right? There probably would not be enough people to download the new version to warrant the time it would take to improve the game. This is most especially true if you have other projects to work on. Better to move on and do something new than go back to an old game. But if enough people were for it, and you had the spare time to improve the game, why not?

Going back to the issue on the lives system, because it is there does not mean you have to use it. If you think it is meaningless, then do not add extra lives to your mods. As you pointed out, there are Keeners who feel the same way you do about the extra lives, so I doubt they would refuse to play if you left them out. Or as I said earlier about Mr. Black put one (and only one) in each level, or in a few levels. They would be less meaningless then.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees