Zoltan's revenge

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Zoltan's revenge

Post by Levellass »

After all this time, it's actually done.

And by 'done' I mean 'Is a beta-mod that was basically just a vehicle for me testing stuff for my REAL mods later on, but Levellord would kill me if I didn't make something out of it.'

The levels... yeah I didn't know much about design at the time. The graphics are poor, the patching is rudimentary. The game has a unique feature where it will randomly crash so that you are forced to go outside once in a while and get some sunlight. I'm just positive it won't run on any system that isn't windows XP (This has happened with the best mods, and this isn't the best...)

In short this is a completed product, and you're welcome to point out its many flaws, but be aware that I probably know of them already. (On the other, maybe I don't', man that would suck.)

So without further ado, the final in the ShadowKeen series (There's a hint right there!), my first attempt at Galaxy modding and a taste of just what I can do now that I've (hopefully) got all my bad ideas out of the way, try: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940020/Zoltan.zip

Try not to break down in tears while playing it. It feeds off your anger.

EDIT: The following patch let's you see the end sequence in the 'order info' section of the computerwrist. It may help with the ending bug:

Code: Select all

#Help section documents
%patch $2F586 $1283W #Computerwrist
              $1285W #Controlling Keen
              $1284W #Story
              $1289W #Hints and tips
              $1288W #Order
Last edited by Levellass on Tue Oct 23, 2012 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

woah this is an unusually prolific weekend for mods as these days go. but well done Levellass! This is a very nice if not completely polished piece of work! Some very different enemy behaviour adds and element of surprise. I couldn't get the hang of that platform in the first level, I could only get it to sink into the water.

Haha this is a Benvolio style Keen4 mod in terms of the 2d graphics in the Galaxy engine. You pull it off well! This worked fine on dosbox in windows 7 so you probably needn't be concerned about compatibility!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Hah! Very funny story lol :) Also, cool ideas!

Hah! With those magnets that speeds you up, you can shoot in the air, went ahead of your own fire and hit yourself with it :).
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Thanks, I liked those magnets, they were an experiment in tile design.
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

Nice work! Fell from my chair when I read the
radio transmissions in the Storyline ;)

I am still playing so I haven´t seen that much. There are tons of 1ups in the airship attack, are they placed on purpose?
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Good mod, I played it yesterday, but I found some bugs though(bug or not I don't know)

EDIT: I've checked the mod and no bug, sorry. Anyway very cool mod! :D
Last edited by szemi on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:11, edited 1 time in total.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Oh the airship level! Ingenious! If I only saw it more earlier for some 1ups... It is an awesome idea, butt very hard! Reminded me of Sonic 3/4. I tried to collect all the ships to see if anything will happen, but nothing happened.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

This mod... goodness, this mod... and this is just you testing stuff for later mods? If that's the case, I cannot WAIT to see what you have in the future. This is fantastic, and the story is hilarious, good ol' Keen humor...

The airship level... I haven't gotten through it yet, but it's pretty frickin' awesome.

As for compatibility... well, I got it to run on my PSP, which has trouble running a lot of other DOS games and even some Keen mods, so that says something...
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Boreas249 wrote:I cannot WAIT to see what you have in the future
Yeah, me too, but how long it will take is another question.

On another note - the upside down pyramid! The idea itself is hilarious and the level itself is...
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Nice mod.
I especially like the duke nukem atmosphere in some levels. And the keen three atmosphere of the spike factory.

You know that part where there are building levels? Right before the entrance there is something weird... some blueishness which does not match with the rest of the stuff around the doors to that compound. :/
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Yeah, me too, but how long it will take is another question.
Let's say you can expect an early christmas present.

On another note - the upside down pyramid! The idea itself is hilarious and the level itself is...
Impossible? I tested it specifically, it can be done, if you abuse the heck out of some glitches. But you'd be better not trying.

As a side note, the ending doesn't play and I don't know why, I shall upload it later.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

QUESTION: What kind of unholy patching/editing did you to to make your EGAGRAPH file weigh in at 1.11 MB? That's almost the same size as the Wolfenstein 3D (full 6-episode version) VSWAP file..

Your patching is damn brilliant! Actually, this whole mod is just brilliant. And this is where that song I gave you ended up. Nice!
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

This is insanely well thought out, if a little buggy.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the world map was actually God of Thunder, and the levels have an Xargon ring about them.

If you can have music on the menu, is it possible to put it in the story screens?

But yeah, an excellent mod!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Could someone post a few screenshots, please? :dopekeen
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Snortimer wrote:Could someone post a few screenshots, please? :dopekeen
I would, but I've actually got to skip off to work now.

Download it & give it a try, it's friggin' awesome! Screenshots would do little justice.