NETKEEN: Vorticons

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Ceilick
The Dude

NETKEEN: Vorticons

Post by Ceilick »

Netkeen Vorticons is a mod of Netkeen intended to recreate the atmosphere of the "Invasion of the Vorticons" series in the galaxy style for multiplayer action. It contains 42 levels at this time: 11 Keen 1 levels, 16 Keen 2 levels, and 14 Keen 3 levels. Levels were made by Gridlock, Lemm, and myself. All three episodes can be played through one file extension: CKV.

Music is taken from a variety of sources, including Bio Menace, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Blake Stone, Major Stryker, Math Rescue, the Hocus Pocus Beta, and a few from community members Xky Rauh and Mr. M.

Netkeen Vorticons swaps out 4 of the playable characters from previous episodes of Netkeen (Mortimer, Council Member, Council Page, Pajama Keen) to include: Mortimer's Android Dummy, the Vorticon Elite, the Vorticon Ninja, and the Vorticon Woman.

Graphics are largely ripped and adapted from Keen 1-3. Large backdrops are ripped and recolored from Cosmo, Dr. Colossus' "Marooned on Mars Galaxy Style", and an original snow backdrop from Fantomx11. Fantomx11 also did the Martian and frozen Martian platform sides and the Martian cave and dome interior backgrounds. Wiivn contributed the path design for the frozen martian platform top as well as the Keen 3 'earth' platform set.

Lemm has made two bug fixes to Netkeen: Players will no longer 'die twice' if their dead body collects a health item, and players now spawn evenly in 4 player games.

Download: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3654819/Keen/N ... ticons.zip

In addition to Netkeen Vorticons, the Netkeen versions of previous episodes have been updated:
-New Keen Dreams level: Onion Outpost
-New Keen 4 level: Jungle Gym
-New Keen 6 level: Dome of Disaster
-Princes Lindsey, Spot, and Lt. Barker now have improved idol animations
-Minor adjustments and balancing changes to a few Keen 4 levels
-Redesign for Keen 4's "Sluggy Arena"

I'll be updating this in the next few months based on feedback. There's room for more graphics and levels, if anyone is interested in adding to the game.

Thanks, have fun :)
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

It's fantastic, but I still can't see the Mortimer Android and the other Vorticon players. :/ I can see Keen, Pijama Keen, Barker, Lindsey and Spot.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

szemi wrote:I still can't see the Mortimer Android and the other Vorticon players.
To access the Vorticon Levels, drag a random file from the Netkeen Vorticons folder onto the DosBox icon, such as AUDIO.CK4. This will mount the Netkeen Vorticon folder in DosBox, which will say that AUDIO.CK4 is an illegal command. Now type the following:

Code: Select all

netkeen -ext ckv
Then Netkeen starts. You should now see the new characters. In short, it needs the -ext ckv switch. The default is Keen5.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Just in time for the Christmas holiday! It's amazing what is achieved with modding!
I've found a lot of graphical bugs and some platform bugs also, but are too many to report them. Mainly on Keen 2 and 3 levels. I've played it in offline mode, but hopefully I'll find a way and time to test it in multiplayer.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Cheers! :) I played it a bit the other day, and I gotta say wow.

Btw, idle, not idol.
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

It appears that several incomplete things in my levels haven't been added/fixed yet. You might want to give us time to sort this out.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Just updated the link; a few things I thought I had fixed...weren't :confused

And regarding key doors: I'm aware the don't fully animate and that the tile where the key is placed 'glitches' after doing so. I'm not sure what the problem is. It should all be functional, though.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

netkeen -ext ckv
>:

Creators:

-Make a .BAT file.
-Put 'netkeen -ext ckv' in the BAT file
-Call it something like 'NK-Vort.BAT
-Make our lives a bit easier
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

The problem with just making a bat file is that the switches change depending on the number of players, who is hosting, etc.

"Netkeen -ext ckv" is only if you're playing a local game by yourself. A BAT file for that is otherwise useless.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

EXCELLENT!
:vikeen

Now I'm just waiting for networking to be fixed on the DOSBox wii port.

Great job as ever Ceilick!
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
fantomx11
Vortininja

Post by fantomx11 »

Ceilick wrote:The problem with just making a bat file is that the switches change depending on the number of players, who is hosting, etc.

"Netkeen -ext ckv" is only if you're playing a local game by yourself. A BAT file for that is otherwise useless.
I made a couple of batch files that let you run a netkeen server or client. Simply unzip it in the same folder that you have Netkeen. It handles connecting the ipxnet, running netkeen, and disconnecting the ipxnet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/do0xiqperu8br ... atches.zip

Server usage is:

server <port> <nodes> <ext>
Client usage is:

client <ip address> <port> <nodes> <ext>
If you wanted to modify the batch files for each individual episode, it would not be hard. If I had some of my old batch programming utilities from pre windows 95 days, I could do a menu that let you choose all those options without having to do it on the command line. In fact, a Netkeen front-end might be pretty cool, and easy to do. When I get home, where I have VBDos, I'll make a quick little front-end for it. Woot!
My keyboard has no caps lock. It has a BRIAN BLESSED button!
fantomx11
Vortininja

Post by fantomx11 »

and here it is:

put it in your netkeen folder and run it from dosbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9zv8z4a7d77miz/NKLAUNCH.EXE
My keyboard has no caps lock. It has a BRIAN BLESSED button!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

fantomx11 wrote:
Ceilick wrote:The problem with just making a bat file is that the switches change depending on the number of players, who is hosting, etc.

I made a couple of batch files that let you run a netkeen server or client. Simply unzip it in the same folder that you have Netkeen. It handles connecting the ipxnet, running netkeen, and disconnecting the ipxnet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/do0xiqperu8br ... atches.zip

Server usage is:

server <port> <nodes> <ext>
Client usage is:

client <ip address> <port> <nodes> <ext>
If you wanted to modify the batch files for each individual episode, it would not be hard. If I had some of my old batch programming utilities from pre windows 95 days, I could do a menu that let you choose all those options without having to do it on the command line. In fact, a Netkeen front-end might be pretty cool, and easy to do. When I get home, where I have VBDos, I'll make a quick little front-end for it. Woot!
That's funny because I did the exact same, including the server/client commands
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Ceilick, Spleen, Mink and I went a few rounds recently.
Here's probably the best of them, presented in revolutionary Four-Way-Split-Screen-O-Vision-O-Matic-9000 for your viewing pleasure(?).
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

Can you please make a mod file?