Abandoned Projects: Keen Crisis Earth & Pirate Mod

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Indeed, for someone who effectively 'left' the forum and quit modding, I'm perplexed. If you want me to remove the link, I will.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Ceilick wrote:Indeed, for someone who effectively 'left' the forum and quit modding, I'm perplexed.
With respect, I know plenty of people who've stopped doing things they used to do but I can't just pick up their work and give it out without permission.

Having said that, I don't know how much work others put into that or if the mod was ever an equal ownership project.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Please remember... the whole premise of what we as a community do has been based on picking up, with absolutely no prior permission, the work of id/Tom Hall et al, and taking ownership of it, giving it out without permission, giving id/Apogee/3Drealms/whoever the garg owns them now no notice before releasing our mods, levels, fangames, patches etc.

It goes against the grain to be quite so protective of a share in the production of an unfinished, small-moderate scale fan project of a 22 year old game.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

TerminILL wrote:Uh, that's a huge dick move there Fleex.
Sorry
Last edited by Fleexy on Tue Jan 08, 2013 0:25, edited 1 time in total.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Uh, that's a huge dick move there Fleex. While I appreciate Benvolio's point about how we have effectively appropriated an entire series from iD, it's well worth noting that iD or any of its parent companies have displayed absolutely no interest in the continuation of Keen - a point which often comes up whenever the whole "buying the rights" thing comes up. Tom Hall, who I imagine has the largest personal, if not necessarily legal, share of the IP, has so many other things on his plate in addition to the rights issue that he can't really do anything with it, and he has more or less outright endorsed several community projects here. While we don't exactly have iD's blessing, we haven't been actively told no.

Paramultart has taken a stand and actively said no. It would be polite to respect his wishes, and if Ceilick and Paramultart reach an agreement which results in Ceilick taking it down, then it would be a tremendous disrespect to him to continue mirroring it.

Personally I am not invested in either outcome. I'd just rather not see another unfortunate spat between any valuable community members.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Benvolio: The same thought crossed my mind, but I share TerminILL's reasoning.

I like to think Para is still secretly working on all these things and will one day release a massive pack of finished mods for us all to drool over.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I know plenty of people who've stopped doing things they used to do but I can't just pick up their work and give it out without permission.
Yes, I agree, but it's not as if I happened to come by one of Paramultart's project and released it myself. I'm not going argue or compare how much work Paramultart put into this project compared to myself.

I'd like to direct attention to this and more specifically, this:
Paramultart wrote:Let me just assure everyone that I have absolutely NO INTEREST in finishing this mod, let alone modding ever again.
Whatever the case, I will take it down if that's what Paramultart wants, whether he plans to finish it or not.

Paramultart, if I thought you'd care I would have asked. Obviously I'm wrong.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

One day I shall Biomenace mod myself. Once there's a nice place to list BM patches.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Levellass wrote:One day I shall Biomenace mod myself. Once there's a nice place to list BM patches.
Technically, there is a place now listing BM patches:
http://www.shikadi.net/moddingwiki/Cate ... ce_patches

Truly, it's somewhat hidden and not easily accessible at the moment; A keyword-based search for "bio menace patches" may be the way for now...
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Ceilick wrote:
I know plenty of people who've stopped doing things they used to do but I can't just pick up their work and give it out without permission.
Yes, I agree, but it's not as if I happened to come by one of Paramultart's project and released it myself. I'm not going argue or compare how much work Paramultart put into this project compared to myself.

I'd like to direct attention to this and more specifically, this:
Paramultart wrote:Let me just assure everyone that I have absolutely NO INTEREST in finishing this mod, let alone modding ever again.
Whatever the case, I will take it down if that's what Paramultart wants, whether he plans to finish it or not.

Paramultart, if I thought you'd care I would have asked. Obviously I'm wrong.
Well I'm not angry, but it did feel like a bit of a snub.
I don't see how my modding status affects my attachment to a project or my contributions. This isn't territorial pissing here, I feel I was denied a very basic courtesy. A simple e-mail would have been satisfactory.

I don't see how you can be so unsentimental regarding this mod, allowing its fate to be determined by... Well... Anybody. This is an art form, not an assembly line. I'd rather see a project die with dignity than be raped first.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I repeat that if I thought you had cared I would have asked. I was wrong. I'm sorry.

It's unsentimental to release an unfinished project rather than hoard it and never let anyone experience what we did accomplish? I can't comprehend how this, or allowing interested parties to work on it if they feel passionate about it, can be considered rape or assembly line mentality.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

In all truthful honesty, I was really, REALLY looking forward to Keen: Crisis Earth. I saw the thread, watched the demo video, got really hyped, put in my vote and my thoughts on the project, and began to wait excitedly for its release after the votes reached the quota...

but you seemingly just cancelled it. That was very disappointing, I really wanted to see it finished, it would've been the first of its kind, could have possibly even started tons of people making Biomenace mods... but it just never got finished. that was very disheartening... So I wanted to do something about it, I planned to reassemble the team that got it going, should they have been interested, and, with a few pointers, help bring this project to life. I figured instead of just sitting back and complaining about how this project was gonna be so epic, and then it just gets dropped, why not take some initiative?

Sorry, but I just feel insulted that me wanting to see a project I really looked forward to finished, to the point where I would do what I can and put in some work towards it myself, would be considered "raping" it.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

We've agreed to call this a demo release for Keen Crisis Earth. Paramultart has decided he'd like to work on this some more at least, if not finish it. Anyone who has started working with the files or wants to see the project to its feet should get in touch with him.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Awesome, I'd like to see what I can do, only thing I'm really good at when it comes to modding is light scripting (nothing hardcore, like writing programs... at least not yet anyway...) but I am a fast learner otherwise. Problem is, I'm caught up in stuff and my laptop is supposed to be coming in next week (hopefully) so if I can really put any time into anything, I'll message Para and see if I can be of any use...
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

I've been meaning to ask, is the first level of the BM mod supposed to be completeable? I always get to the end and am unable to exit the level.