Valentine's Keen

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

These pictures that Para speaks about are found in the foreground tileset, next to the big bright green tree. Interesting to note that in Levellass's Keen Dreams Modette (Commander Keen and the Dream Machine), there is a level to the right of the northern castle called "Paramultart Place" where these more of these "pictures can be seen.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Paramultart wrote:
Nospike wrote:
Flaose wrote:Personally, I haven't been able to spot the differences between the Para and non-Para versions, though I haven't compared the tilesheets side-by-side.
Me neither.
If I'm not mistaken, the only difference is that the non-Para version has MLP (the new one) pictures in it. I begged and pleaded Lass to take them out, telling her not to corrupt a solid piece of 90's gold with one of the worst pop culture references from this generation, so I suppose this is the result of her accommodation.
I was absolutely horrified when I saw that. But then again, I assume it was Keen's sister's room which would kind of explain it.
Still bad.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The Paramultart version also has various other things removed from it that Para felt were objectionable. These are not tiles, and most of them aren't graphics. (I managed to get a graphic chunk to affect patching, which was cool.)

Level design: 5/10. One of the biggest flaws of the mod. Most of the levels are with repetitive design. Some levels or big parts of the levels you might even miss. Some in-wall stucks, bottomless pits and other glitches and misplaced tiles also contributed to lessen the experience.
However, on the other side, there's the awesome Keen's home, which is definitely the one level I will remember. The other ones worth mentioning are the last level with the boss fight and one very short black level with switches I liked. The flights with broomsticks levels are also very interesting and fun, but design wise, most of the levels are not fully utilized for this kind of gameplay. I also like the humor here and there (like the hilariously imprisoned Llas by Para), which kept me motivating to and exploring the game secrets.
Do you have a list of these? I am always looking to correct.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Hmm, I was hoping the non-Para version would replace the gibs with something more Keenish and child-friendly. Also, dogs (not Weredogs) should be immune or the rocks should fly through them.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Will someone explain me how to deal with the boss? Because when I made a fire, it disappears immediately after it was created (that's in v1.2). Is this another bug or what?
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

When I finished the original, unupdated version, it worked fine.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

wiivn wrote:Will someone explain me how to deal with the boss? Because when I made a fire, it disappears immediately after it was created (that's in v1.2). Is this another bug or what?
Now wondering if she did that to add more of a challenge to the boss fight (I can't see for myself what's going on yet, I have to start my whole game over.) if so, that makes it scarier....

And yes, no more killing innocent puppies... I'm still scarred from the last incident.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Killing an innocent dog is wrong, but killing an innocent yorp or blooglet is ok?
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

They don't hurl blood and gibs when you blast them.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Well there's that, and as for the blooglets, you're not really killing them, as Keen reduced his violent ways since the Vorticon episodes and turned in his deadly rayguns for a (almost harmless) neural stunner, which only stuns the crap out of things for a while.

Which, in turn, explains why the Neural Stunner would be impractical ("Your weapon is powerless...") in this mod, seeing as you can't stun something that's... well, dead. Or undead for that matter, and witches probably have spells to make themselves immune to that stuff...

I'm probably reading into this way too much. :p
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Hmm, I was hoping the non-Para version would replace the gibs with something more Keenish and child-friendly. Also, dogs (not Weredogs) should be immune or the rocks should fly through them.
So would people like the Nonpara version to be a bit less splattery? That can be done if desired.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

I feel stupid, that I've not-yet found the para version.

(I can tell mine isn't bwcause the pony picture is still there.)
Levellass wrote: So would people like the Nonpara version to be a bit less splattery? That can be done if desired.
Weeeeeeell... to be honest, normally I'm into really gory, bloody stuff, I play and love Brutal DooM for that reason, because it's so bloody and savage and stuff, and horribly good fun, it's glorious...

... but I don't think it really works for a Keen game. The goriness, the gross bloody tiles and all... eeeehh, I don't really mind it much at all, but it doesn't quite fit to be honest...

Then again, it's kinda supposed to be a Keen/Monster Bash crossover, isn't it? So I guess I can understand, thing is I didn't really think it should've been in a game like that much either, or at least it should've been at lesser quantities... but who am I to question...
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

I FOUND THE BEAN WITH BACON MEGAROCKET!

And then I laughed because I was merry and stuff.

Wondering why it's where it is though (considering the name of tbe stage...) not someplace I'd imagine Keen leaving his Megarocket.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

What? I found it too, but I didn't thought it was big deal or something. Btw LLAS, WILL you look into the final boss battle? Because it's unbeatable right now.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I have, I'm not getting any bugs on my end, the fire lasts fine. Does the 'test' fire before the boss door work ok? If the boss is being a sod just press F10 + W.

Wondering why it's where it is though (considering the name of tbe stage...) not someplace I'd imagine Keen leaving his Megarocket.
Keen's rocket is kept in his backyard clubhouse. Right by the door in fact. However something is wrong, Keen is quite surprised and will not find out WHY things are like this until the next game.