Keen 64 Beta (Map, Level 1, Level 2, Pogo Level)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

You are very cool man! :D
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Lava89 wrote:I am also planning to add invisible walls to not the let player go past areas you're not supposed to access prior to completing certain levels or using the teleporters. So for instance, you can walk right past the first level in the map, but that will change in future versions. This allows you can fully explore the map, just make sure you don't fall off the edges of it, because Keen can't die in the map, so he'll just falling and you'll have to restart the game.
In the pogo demo, there was that one opening in the hills that looked like something secret was hidden there but the player was in fact not intended to get there. Might have caused the infinite falling off edge thing.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Thanks szemi! :)
Nospike wrote: In the pogo demo, there was that one opening in the hills that looked like something secret was hidden there but the player was in fact not intended to get there. Might have caused the infinite falling off edge thing.
Yeah, that will be easily fixed by putting invisible walls to prevent falling off the edge. But unlike the pogo demo, there are places to explore in this map (just no reward yet for the exploration), as requested by members like DaVince.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Sir,

Your win is approaching epic levels.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Wow, thanks Levellass! :D
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I hope that this time you will finish this project and won't let it fade away.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Ooooooh, lovely! I can't wait to see how this turns out (assuming it does turn out ;3 )
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Thanks guys! Yeah, with a better coding structure and actual item placement \ map editor tool this will have a much better likelihood of getting finished!
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

New Update 0.1.4!

Post by Lava89 »

Ok, I know its been a while, but here's a new update (0.1.4):

- New level 2!
- Yorps don't bunch \ clump up or intersect with each other (its still a little clunky but it will do for now)
- New keyboard control scheme (with corresponding diagrams)
- Now the game asks if you'd like widescreen or fullscreen
- Map objects disappear in the other levels
- New map textures \ colors \ look and of course, corresponding level 2 hut

Here's a refresher of how the control schemes work:

Keyboard scheme using Keen 4-6 \ Galaxy Series controls (CLASSIC)

Mouse & Keyboard control scheme (FPS)

Eventually I would like to put in a dedicated options menu, to enable crosshairs, change control scheme, change volume, etc.

DOWNLOAD
Last edited by Lava89 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Loving the gameplay! can't wait to see the finished product.

At some point you may wish to put an outer wall over the worldmap so keen can't fall off
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Thanks for playing and giving feedback, MoffD!

Yeah, there will be a both an outer wall on the map and inner walls blocking Keen from getting to certain areas before completing certain levels. Thanks!
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

i dont like the keen model, its way too robotic. plus i think you'll need a skybox sorta thing (instead of just black). and i think it'd be more intersting if this wasnt a remake of keen 1, but its own keen game. just my two cents ofcourse.
i love that reflective looking effect ;) im a sucker for that in games.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

First of all, thanks for playing and giving feedback!
Bernie wrote:i dont like the keen model, its way too robotic.
Yeah, he's getting reanimated. And remodelled for that matter.
Bernie wrote:plus i think you'll need a skybox sorta thing (instead of just black).
Yeah, this was already mentioned at the beginning of this thread. Thus for most polish issues such as this, I should refer you to the pogo demo. The full game is meant to match that demo in terms of polish and more!

But at this point in the beta, it is more or less meant to get feedback on level geometry and any new features not covered in the demo (so far the only new feature is the camera style with the classic control scheme).
Bernie wrote:and i think it'd be more intersting if this wasnt a remake of keen 1, but its own keen game. just my two cents ofcourse.
Haha, that's like saying Ruin of Roib would be more interesting if it was...something else!
Bernie wrote:i love that reflective looking effect ;) im a sucker for that in games.
Haha, thanks. I am as well.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Lava89 wrote: Haha, that's like saying Ruin of Roib would be more interesting if it was...something else!
well i just mean we already know keen 1, so there wouldnt be many surprises. but meh, just my opinion. i'd still like this when its done.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Bernie wrote:well i just mean we already know keen 1, so there wouldnt be many surprises.
Ah ok, I see what you mean. I guess that could go for any remake of Keen, unless someone was following a looser interpretation of the source material.
Bernie wrote:i'd still like this when its done.
Thanks! :) (hopefully I can deliver!)