Atroxian Realm 2 Level Demo

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Is Atroxian Realm gonna be Keen 10? Because the story sounds after Keen 9.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

When the human race has elucidated the mechanisms behind HIV, Tb, malaria and all the other maladies, reasoned the answer to the one form of government that truly and fairly works, definitively determined the origin of the universe, adequately protected Earth against the ultimate demise of the sun and indeed the entire universe, engineered a form of agriculture that feeds our 7bn people optimally and manifold more, whilst preserving all biodiversity and environmental cleanliness, leaving a harmonious world of tolerant omniscience and omnipotence, there will remain but one question:

"What exactly is Keen10?"

Have a lovely Keen day.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Scarlet wrote:So here's an observation. You can ride the froglike jumper thingy. In god mode. Is that on purpose or a mistake or?
The Stunned DartFrog can be stood upon (which I am a huge fan of). So riding on him in god mode makes sense. It's not a mistake, it's just that Keen wasn't meant to be invincible. ^^
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

'GENERATORS' is misspelled in the drop-down score box. It says 'GENERAORS.' Must be the grammar/spelling OCD in me.

szemi wrote:Is Atroxian Realm gonna be Keen 10? Because the story sounds after Keen 9.
All these side-stories can be independent.

Anyway, this looks wonderfully promising!
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I was almost thinking Szemi wouldn't post any Keen 10 related post now. :p
I think you should add normal ammo to the beginning of the second level instead of low ammo-ammo and make it a bit harder to obtain, you could put it near the pole that leads into the underground area for example. Level 1 could use some ammo too, possibly near the exit so the player feels "prepared" for the next level.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Played one level (somehow get "unsufficient memory" message for the river one).

Very nice music, very keenish and atmospheric.
Love the art, consistent and very original theme that immerses you right in. Really passes a feeling.
Very nice background.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

I like the low amount of ammo. All I ever had to use it for was a few Dartfrogs and the all the Spliders. There's even two hidden ammo in level 2, as seen in my video above.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

This looks really nice! Awesome graphics all around, and with the low-key music, it builds a nice atmosphere. The Dartfrog looks dangerous enough to me, especially since it doesn't have the typical cartoonish eyes of a Keen enemy. Heck, it looks more serious than a Poison Slug.

I didn't have a problem with ammo. Some of the Dartfrogs in the second level can be lured off the edges or just pogoed over.

Also, I totally exited level two on accident due to the tile placement near those hidden stunners. I'll have to go back and play through it properly.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I couldn't stop myself and decided to download and play it :).
And I'm glad I did :). It is indeed very cool! Even though there are two levels only, there's a lot for exploration and tons of secrets, which adds to the atmosphere.

I find out that you can ride those birds, but you cannot control them. I managed to take one up in the first level with a bird, but I'm not sure whether this is the biggest secret or not you're talking about.

I found 1 cool easter egg in the second level. But there is a place where you can exit the level by mistake. It is at the bottom right part of the level, right after the lake. There you can enter a hidden area and accidentally exit the level.

I didn't find much problems with ammo on medium difficulty. After a bit more exploration you can secure enough ammo.

Atroxian Realm is (will be) definitely for experienced Keen players.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

wiivn wrote:But there is a place where you can exit the level by mistake. It is at the bottom right part of the level, right after the lake. There you can enter a hidden area and accidentally exit the level.
Plasma Captain wrote:Also, I totally exited level two on accident due to the tile placement near those hidden stunners. I'll have to go back and play through it properly.
That does it. I demand you two subscribe to my channel.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

troublesomekeen wrote:
wiivn wrote:But there is a place where you can exit the level by mistake. It is at the bottom right part of the level, right after the lake. There you can enter a hidden area and accidentally exit the level.
Plasma Captain wrote:Also, I totally exited level two on accident due to the tile placement near those hidden stunners. I'll have to go back and play through it properly.
That does it. I demand you two subscribe to my channel.
muhahahahhaha
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Oh no, I was totally aware that the glitch had been brought up earlier in the thread. I was just stating that I hadn't played through the level properly because of it.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

The Stunned DartFrog can be stood upon (which I am a huge fan of). So riding on him in god mode makes sense. It's not a mistake, it's just that Keen wasn't meant to be invincible.
This is because the dartfrog was modified from the bounder, and we never removed the stand ability. I kind of forgot to do that for the demo, but I think it would be better to remove.
'GENERATORS' is misspelled in the drop-down score box. It says 'GENERAORS.' Must be the grammar/spelling OCD in me.
Yeah, this has something to do with not having enough text room or something. It'll be resolved eventually.
I didn't find much problems with ammo on medium difficulty. After a bit more exploration you can secure enough ammo.
Regarding the ammo, I may add 1-2 rayguns in places in level 2. From what I'm hearing (and my own playtesting experience), ammo isn't really a problem if you just explore a bit to find some. Perhaps that makes the game harder, but I'm trying to avoid having too much so that on easy mode the player has virtually unlimited shots.
Played one level (somehow get "unsufficient memory" message for the river one).
Was this memory message that the game couldn't load the level or that it couldn't load the music? Because either way, that's very bad. Many of the later levels require much, much more memory than that one. Maybe you could give me more details?
I find out that you can ride those birds, but you cannot control them. I managed to take one up in the first level with a bird, but I'm not sure whether this is the biggest secret or not you're talking about.
Yeah, this is a side effect of the patch that makes them push Keen. But I didn't hide any secrets in the game that require riding those things.
Atroxian Realm is (will be) definitely for experienced Keen players.
I'm actually a little surprised that people are finding these levels difficult. These are by far the easiest levels in the game, and sometimes I wonder if some of the later levels are way too hard. I want to make this mod more accessible to inexperienced Keen players, but I'm not sure that is going to happen. Maybe people would prefer a bit more of a challenge?

I'm considering releasing an update to the demo with some fixes, but it would actually be a bit of a pain to do that with how my files are setup. If people really want an updated demo, I can, but maybe it would be better just to wait until the final release?

Thanks for your comments. Btw I think you guys are all missing the giant secret in level 1. Remember, every first level has to have its secret extra lives. :dopekeen
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

This is a tradition? I shall have to add it.

Also, you want IMFCrusher Grid, it does knock a few bytes off.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Gridlock wrote:Btw I think you guys are all missing the giant secret in level 1. Remember, every first level has to have its secret extra lives. :dopekeen
I found it! But only with the use of cheats. Without the cheats, I probably wouldn't find it. It's like a whole additional level with... yet, more secrets within the secret! It's not only hard to get to the secret area, but it's also hard to find yet another secret to get the lives themselves! It's like inception. Those are probably the most well hidden lives :). But it's awesome secret non the less!