Atroxian Realm 2 Level Demo

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Atroxian Realm 2 Level Demo

Post by Gridlock »

LINK https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22195447/Other ... eldemo.zip

Happy Keen day (also my 314th post)! This is a small demo of the first two levels of Atroxian Realm. To play, drag Play.bat onto DosBox.exe (same as always)

There's tons and tons of secrets hidden in the 2 levels (particularly the first one). Even though this is a small demo, there's plenty of stuff for you to explore and find. You may even find a few easter eggs in this release. :confused

If you select "return to demo" you'll also be able to see the updated scrolling story. Hitting F1 will let you see the help section, although some things have been hidden.

These will give you a good taste of the swamp levels, but the best is yet to come. I wish I could release the full game now, but you'll just have to wait. Please post any bug reports, concerns, suggestions, thoughts, etc.

Thanks to everyone who made this possible. I was up until 4 AM last night talking with levellass, who helped me resolve a painful problem with Keengraph/modkeen. She also did some last minute patches for me. Without her help, this demo would not have gotten released.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Re: Atroxian Realm 2 Level Demo

Post by troublesomekeen »

Wonderful! Thanks so much for this, Grid! And a big thanks to Levellass! This has been an exciting day! Keen Day over here in a few hours! (like.. 8 hours.)
Gridlock wrote:Please post any bug reports, concerns, suggestions, thoughts, etc.
Ah ha! I'm not forgetting my job! I think I've found something. Take a look at this: http://youtu.be/58oErgxrru0
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Amazing!!! I am so impressed with the elegant levels, rich colour and atmospheric music. And the sprites are fun!! Then the square lollipops give the game a quirky edge. So promising, please please bring this to its triumphant completion!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Eh, seen it before.

(Just kidding, it's wall-to-wall awesome!)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

It's nice to see my black frog enemy made the cut, but looking back at it, I'm not entirely content with its design. It doesn't look nearly as intimidating as the other enemies. Maybe I should've added some claws and made the arms more meaty. I wonder if there's any other enemies left I can do.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Men, I so wish to play this demo, but also I want to not spoil anything and play the whole thing. What should I do, what should i doo... Tough decision...
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Yeah! Really good job with what we've got to play with Gridlock! I really love this, fits together very well, possibly the best atmosphere in a keen mod yet.

But, I have one critism that some wouldn't critise and that is the platforms above the second level. They're just floating. You'll find that all of the keen galaxy games (but not Vorticons) that have platforms high above the main level either have thrusters of some sort attached, or they'll have a piece of wall in the background layer holding them up.
Just something small, other that, pester those people who are holding this up! :dopefish
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Great news! I'll play it over the upcoming weekend!
...too busy today...
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Well, I'm very satisfied with the mod, especially the blue-green platform. :)
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

wiivn wrote:Men, I so wish to play this demo, but also I want to not spoil anything and play the whole thing. What should I do, what should i doo... Tough decision...
If in doubt, sit this out.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

:):):)
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Great! I love the atmosphere. Splendid job there, Gridlock. The music is also perfect.
I noticed a couple quirks though:
There should probably be more ammo, at least on the lower difficulties. I always had to conserve ammo. I (accidentally) got around this in the second level by picking up the ammo pack underground, taking the 1up and dying.
Some of your dirt tile patterns don't match. I don't know if you're going to fix this as the tiles could be placeholders, just letting you know.
Last thing I noticed was that in the second level, when you try to pick up the ammo to the very right that's hidden behind the foreground tiles, there's a platform edge next to it. Climbing up that platform makes Keen exit the level because it's too close to the level edge.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Ah ha! I'm not forgetting my job! I think I've found something.
Last thing I noticed was that in the second level, when you try to pick up the ammo to the very right that's hidden behind the foreground tiles, there's a platform edge next to it. Climbing up that platform makes Keen exit the level because it's too close to the level edge.
Thanks for catching this. I actually designed that entire underground area for Murky Marsh about a week ago to beef up the demo a little bit, so I guess I didn't test it as thoroughly.
It's nice to see my black frog enemy made the cut, but looking back at it, I'm not entirely content with its design. It doesn't look nearly as intimidating as the other enemies. Maybe I should've added some claws and made the arms more meaty. I wonder if there's any other enemies left I can do.
I know Ceilick did some small changes to the sprite, but I'm always open to improvements. I do like the quirky look of the frog, but maybe it could be more intimidating since it does kill Keen.
Men, I so wish to play this demo, but also I want to not spoil anything and play the whole thing. What should I do, what should i doo... Tough decision...
Well, this is your choice, but let me say this. This demo contains only 2 of the game's 21 levels, and it only shows off some of the swamp level stuff. I designed this demo to spoil as little as possible, so you won't be seeing any of the secretive stuff in the later levels.
But, I have one critism that some wouldn't critise and that is the platforms above the second level. They're just floating. You'll find that all of the keen galaxy games (but not Vorticons) that have platforms high above the main level either have thrusters of some sort attached, or they'll have a piece of wall in the background layer holding them up.
Yeah, I know it's a little weird having platforms floating up there. If I want to keep the secret stuff up there though, I'm not sure what else I could do (there's some secret platforms to the left you may not have found). Plus, when you look at the original Keens 4-6, you'll notice plenty of stuff that seems a little out of place. Even though these swamp levels are going for a more realistic feel, I'm not sure if it's a big enough deal to change.
There should probably be more ammo, at least on the lower difficulties. I always had to conserve ammo. I (accidentally) got around this in the second level by picking up the ammo pack underground, taking the 1up and dying.
This is good to know. Balancing ammo is Keen is incredibly difficult, and I had assumed there was enough. Any details you can give me about where it would help to have more ammo would help me decide where to add more.
Some of your dirt tile patterns don't match. I don't know if you're going to fix this as the tiles could be placeholders, just letting you know.
This is unfortunately a result of using the Keen 4 pyramid style platform set as the basis for this swamp one. If it wasn't so much work now, I might consider entirely changing what the blue tile patterns look like. But since things are so far along, I'd rather keep it. I did the best I could to match up the tiles, but it's not perfect everywhere. If you point out any places that look really bad, I can try to change them.

Thanks for the feedback so far! I'm guessing no one has found the super secret located in level 1 yet :dopekeen
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

I am wondering wtf right now. I seem have lost my liking of playing keen games. Whenever I see a level I think about it in terms of beta testing. I just don't like playing for the sake of playing I guess. And I guess that may be why I to some extent stopped playing keen in general. :S Feels so wrong.

So here's an observation. You can ride the froglike jumper thingy. In god mode. Is that on purpose or a mistake or?
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Really liking this, can't wait to see what it's like in full.

I know there's a lot to be done, but don't stress it, help will come soon, in the meantime, just take your time.

But this demo's definitely a real treat, shows me that the finished product will be well worth the wait.