Three Keen 5 Levels and a Nifty Patch

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
lemm
Blorb

Three Keen 5 Levels and a Nifty Patch

Post by lemm »

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3786745/TLANP.zip

Hello,

Here I present to you three Keen 5 levels and a neat switch patch. I made these levels some time ago with the intention of making a keen 5 level pack. I fear this dream will never be realized, so I am releasing them in their unfinished-but-functional state. Run PLAY.BAT and play the first three levels.

Also, I have included a neat patch that modifies switch mechanics. It lets you make switches that can switch a bridge (or a platform director) as well as the tile beneath the switch, simultaneously. To see how it works, go to the patch file and enable the patch, then warp to level 6 and fiddle with them switches. I didn't plan this patch; it just kind of "happened."
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Wow! Thanks for this awesome level pack! After finishing the Atroxian demo, I was looking for something more to play (I'm like a keenzombie). I really like the challenges in these levels! Just pure fun! Too bad you don't want to finish this pack. I hope that someone will at least polish the 3 levels, so they would not look unfinished.

On a side note, I haven't played Keen 5 in ages. What a great episode it was. Now I want to play Keen 5 again.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Good lord! The Keen day releases just keep coming! Well, I guess I'll delay mine another few days.

This has the taste of Mink's puzzle pack about it. Could have used some new music though.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

At first I was like "Oh cool! Funnest thing ever!"

But then I was like... "How...?"

Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:47, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

What is the funniest thing? And how what?
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

These levels are very elegant (well I'm still on the second one) but boy are they difficult. I am too shoddy a Keener to play these well. I think Galaxy is more difficult than Vorticons because it is harder to be precise and there is often more going on in the bit of the level that you are trying to negotiate. Thankfully there's in-level saving! It is needed, let me tell you.

But fair play!!! When those platforms fall in line with one another, now that is smooth, like something from Tron.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Interesting level pack. I couldn't figure out what to do at the end of the third stage, though - I couldn't go through the door at the bottom.

As for that puzzle, troublesomekeen - it's totally possible to ascend after hanging from each platform.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Plasma Captain wrote:As for that puzzle, troublesomekeen - it's totally possible to ascend after hanging from each platform.
Oh. Let me try again... Hmm... Ah ha! I figured it out! I never knew about that maneuver. Coolness. Thanks!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

So, hypothetically, if I were to make levels of this difficulty, how objectionable would they be?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Plasma Captain wrote:Interesting level pack. I couldn't figure out what to do at the end of the third stage, though - I couldn't go through the door at the bottom.

As for that puzzle, troublesomekeen - it's totally possible to ascend after hanging from each platform.

Oh right, that was the end of the level. Anyway, you beat it. :smokin
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Oh, okay. Sweet.

I forgot to mention just how glad I am that you threw that Keg O' Vitalin into the top of the third level.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I shall try this out when the surge of recent school work subsides :dead2 . Looking forward to some lemm puzzle levels. :drool
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I've only done the first level but yeah, this is awesome.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

that was pretty horrible, lol.
but that little plaform puzzle at the start of level 1 was interesting though.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Managed to finish this on hard without cheats. Even though I can't go through the door at the end of level 3, I count it as a victory.

Very interesting gameplay. It has a Mink's Puzzle Pack meets KeenRush style to it.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall