AK3 Doomsday

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Slayterdawg
Vortininja

AK3 Doomsday

Post by Slayterdawg »

The final installment of the "Beneath the Blue" trilogy starring our hero
Aqua Keen is released. Episode 3 - Doomsday.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hu6rekenus44206/AK3.zip

This is release #1. Your feedback concerning potential bugs would be appreciated.

Please enjoy and let me know if you like it.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The game folder is 3.15MB.

Nice.

(You don't need TSMusic.asm, nor do you need the readme and the .bat file outside the main game folder. The entire patch folder can in fact be deleted, since you're using files in the main directory. This ruins the 315ness though.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Slayterdawg
Vortininja

Post by Slayterdawg »

Alright, I cleaned up the zip file. I also notice I mistakenly placed
an older version of my IMFs folder in the zip.

Re-Release v1.00
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9k73faszqppfc ... 0Keen3.zip

just the New IMFs Folder
https://www.dropbox.com/s/va53vcq3bbwoixu/IMFs.zip
Slayterdawg
Vortininja

Post by Slayterdawg »

WOW....
The only comment I get on it, is about its size!
(I've been getting that all my life.)
:mortlol
Captainkeen
Vortininja

Post by Captainkeen »

This mod really has some amazing graphics. Really impressive. especially after the first level. I recommend everyone to check this out. The sprite are the same as your other episodes but these are also very well done. Unfortunately the level design is not that impressive. not knowing where you can stand is not always fun and the levels are generally not tested very well for gameplay even tough they look great for the most part. so the levels do not match the other qualities of this mod, thats my opinion. But it's stil impressive and worthy of attention.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I would agree with everything CaptainKeen said. Your graphics have made significant improvements over the course of the trilogy. The map is impressive graphically.

The first level is quite old-skool in design, remniscent of early mods and levelpacks by community members such as myself, plagued by repetitive areas and long halls requiring frustrating enemy avoidance (those slow old sharks particularly).

Mods and games with a first level like the one in this mod often have some alternatives for light relief. That is a key benefit of the map-based Keen games. A few small frivolous puzzle levels could get the player's enthusiasm going again so they can take on the bigger level.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Can't wait to get my hands on this.

Can't wait!!
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

For some reason I can't download any of your mods.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well, you've outdone yourself! This is the best of your three episodes! Your mod skills are improving. In fact this episode is so good it stands way ahead of your previous two in terms of graphics, music, modding and mostly - level design (well, with the exception of the first level of the first episode, which is still the most memorable one). A lot of animations, a lot of dedication to details and so on. You can "dive" into the world. The main weaknesses of your previous episodes are gone, which is good, but you've also managed to save and improve the unique feel of the series. There's so much imagination everywhere!

The sounds, however, sounds too Duke Nukem-ish. And I don't really like to use the space bar for shooting. There are some other issues, but not that big of a deal. I'm still playing it, but from what I've played so far I'd give it 9/10.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I would note that several of your songs (The 'as big as possible 63.9Kb ones.) freeze and stop playing after one play. This is a problem with TSMusic. (That limits my own song size to 25Kb!)
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Great belugas and jumping narwhals! Thanks for that little review, wiivn. It really helped me pick this mod up again. I hadn't beaten the first level yet as I had a wee bit of trouble mounting the turtle to carry me to the top area where the in-level wrap is. I was blown away when I saw the world map. The first thing I did was check the files to make sure this was a Keen1 mod. This is bursting at the seams with creativity. Crazy amount of artwork everywhere! How did you ever manage and those pictures and portraits, Dawg?
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Slayterdawg
Vortininja

AK3

Post by Slayterdawg »

I was wondering what everyone thought about the making of pi.

Has anyone made it thru the dead forest? My kids can't beat this level..

Just wondering.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Re: AK3

Post by troublesomekeen »

Pi was delightful. I had not known 314 spells PIE (like in a mirror).
Slayterdawg wrote:Has anyone made it thru the dead forest?
No. Have you? This level seems to be located on the very southeastern part of town. The trouble in the dead forest begins with the low ceiling jumps over pools of lava. The ceiling itself is dangerous to touch, so the usual-good-Keen1-jump-control is needed. Question. Are the drip-drops of lava that fall down from the ceiling also dangerous? I think they are, but I can't tell for sure. If that's the case, I need savestates to beat this level.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I demand a lets play.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

:p
Also why does the big gate send you outside itself when you go through?
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.