The Fastest Gun In The Universe (Keen 3 mod)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

The Fastest Gun In The Universe (Keen 3 mod)

Post by KeenRush »

:pumpkeen Download here (at least until it's at zapzot.net):
tfgitu.zip

First of all, I know this was to appear on 22nd but I became too impatient -- there's no point in more waiting and I figure it's much nicer to get a mod when the weekend starts rather than after it ends. When I made that teaser topic I felt very optimistic about this mod, but as the day has inched closer I've become (as usually) somewhat disappointed about it, and can't at the moment see it the way I maybe should. Whether it's actually good or not remains to be seen, but I can say that at least I've excelled myself at sprite work unlike ever before.

This is a Keen 3 mod, so take a fresh copy of Keen 3 and extract the archive and replace missing files. Then run "unlzexe keen3.exe" in console or drag & drop keen3.exe over unlzexe.exe (provided in the zip). Then run play.bat.

Here's a picture with 3 screenshots. DON'T view it if you're going to play the mod, the surprise factor will be better that way! I purposefully made this picture _not_ to show the best stuff: it doesn't show the big gameplay changes nor the best sprites and stuff, you have to play the mod to see and discover all that. :dopekeen
http://i46.tinypic.com/4llhlg.png
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I delayed my 4:14 release in anticipation for this. Now I cans teal all these awesome gameplay ideas, assuming that we haven't both stumbled upon the same awesome tricks, since we're both modding Keen 3. (Keen 2 doesn't get enough love I don't think.)

I shall have to play this after I finish my own mod, to avoid being depressed about its quality.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

I've played the first two levels and, KeenRush, this is brilliant. Please don't ever suppress a mod because you think it's subpar, because clearly your internal standards are much higher than ours. :dopekeen Plus, your Keen sprite is on the same level as your Smile/New Dope Keen and Xky Keen. It's gorgeous.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

This is a Keen 3 mod?
Fantastic stuff again! The Overworld is super-awesome, what with all the jumping and dancing going on. Cool Pain Time (Health) system makes for revolutionary game play! Astounding artwork! It looks like 1 pixel is made up of 4 pixels. Excellent result. My brain is exploded. Everytime I look at it, it reminds me of... a birthday cake, with 1 candle. Childhood.
Alternative Download that hopefully works.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Wow this is great.

I love the artistic style... I wish the original keen had been drawn in this manner.

Neat patchwork, too.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Thanks everyone, I already feel much better and start to feel proud of the work! :) Hoping to read more comments and tell me what was your favourite enemy and level (numbered with dice)... (Mine are Rabsqurs and #13.)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Wow this is a lot of fun!!! In a way it is KeenRush's most benevolent mod so far. The surroundings are friendly and colourful. And yet... and yet... it elicits as many profanities from me as any other KR mods. A large percentage of this foulmouthedness is directed towards those parrots. They probably have an official name but I took your advice and haven't read the Foes section yet.

The map physics are hilarious. Did you ever play the online java game superkid? I played it whenever I got allowed use the internet... until I got Keen1. http://www.freearcade.com/Superkid.jav/Superkid.html

Interestingly the game is....... silent! Explanation???
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Are there any sounds or music? I really like the mod, but I miss the sound/music if there is such...
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

You have no reason to be discouraged. There may be a few of us who have in the past criticized the difficulty of your mods, but despite that still play them and are still hellbent on completing them. Why is that? It is because the game play and sometimes even the graphical ideas are top notch. Despite how hard your mods might be, they have always retained the value of replay. I will check it out sometime this weekend.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I've played some levels and I can confirm that this is awesome mod! The graphics are sweet! They look like a cartoony engine parts of some kind. I like the fact that you have unlimited lives and most of all that you have a few hits! And the world map - wow. I don't know how you achieve that, but the jump'n'run element is cool! Now, this world map reminds me of a bunch of old games... Yep, another proof of how far the modding has gone. And the difficulty is very well balanced this time.

On the downside, I cannot accept that such a cool and quality mod lacks sounds and music.
Captainkeen
Vortininja

Post by Captainkeen »

I also have really enjoyed playing this so far. I found the start a bit slow and I was dissapointed that I didn't get a pogo at first and the gameplay was a bit basic at first. However as I progressed I really enjoyed the little puzzles and new features. I loved the diagonal platforms. I hated the invulnable killing vortikids and almost quit. atleast how they were positioned at one point but in general your levels are really not too hard. The key is that you made the levels nicely short, at least short enough. and there isn't much precise jumping anymore, or actualy none super hard jumps so far. Health system is really a wonderul feature and the fact that you can die in different ways. Graphics are a bit basic but everything is calm and clear you know what it means and you arent distrated by little things thats definitely a positive. My gues is sounds are disabled to free up space to make the patches work? anyway dont put in music because if you did I'd disable sounds anyway.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Well, I made it to the end (I think). I'm assuming you can't actually reach anything in the last level? Clever ending. :dead2

I didn't even realize that the beginning was the world map at first, but it was a cool trick. I must say, I didn't care for the beginning of the mod, at least until I figured out how everything worked (which was a couple levels in). I didn't even realize I had unlimited ammo for while. Once things made sense, however, I really, really enjoyed this mod. The puzzles/enemies are great as usual and made for some of the cleverest challenges I've seen in a mod. The platform puzzle in the second-to-last level was one of the most satisfying puzzles to solve I've ever encountered. However, I didn't care much for the frequent deathtraps, especially in later levels. Though a few sections were a bit too difficult and the learning curve was somewhat high, overall the difficulty was very well balanced. There were some nice secrets in the game as well.

The graphical style is very neat. I like the use of the thick, solid colors, and it creates a cool cartoonish look that for some reason reminds me of an early Kirby game I once played. I'm definitely glad you put more emphasis on the visuals, as it made this a lot more interesting to play. I also feel like it was missing something without music and especially sound effects, though.

I'm glad I didn't give up on this one at the beginning, because once I got farther along I really started to enjoy it. There's so many clever concepts that you pulled off that I wouldn't have thought possible. Unlike some of your mods, which seem to have one trick governing the gameplay (Fall Up for example), this mod uses several which, though a bit confusing at first, really reveal the potential of Vorticon modding. Great job :)
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

PROTIP: Read README.TXT for explanations on basic things like sound!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

That was... quite surreal.

I really like the ammo and health systems. Infinite ammo with a reloading penalty? Works nicely.

Those Ricoxedrons, though... I was naive to have believed that nothing could be more annoying than the Vorticon Youth.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Is there are chance that the mod have two endings? The ending level was the coolest ending you can possibly make, but it wasn't good. So I wonder if there is a good ending.