The Fastest Gun In The Universe (Keen 3 mod)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Thanks all!

There are no sounds because making new sounds is the most painful and annoying task I know and I just didn't want to do it. As I made the entire mod (and play others) while not having sounds on, I was already used to the silence.

I'm glad to see that people are completing the levels, and yes I know, they are easy. Maybe they are too easy, but I just wanted to make something that most people can finish. But getting the difficulty right is really difficult for me...

And no, there's no good ending. :dead2

Anyway, I'm glad to see the overall positive mood and people thinking the graphics and elements work.

Edit: And haven't played Superkid. The world was sort of tribute to Crystal Caves but also like that just because I thought it was funny that way and saw no reason to make the physics realer.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

KeenRush wrote:The world was sort of tribute to Crystal Caves but also like that just because I thought it was funny that way and saw no reason to make the physics realer.
I KNEW IT!

I was about to comment saying that the world map reminds me of Crystal Caves!

I'll give a full assessment of the mod once I'm more that two levels in to it (but so far, I quite enjoy this)
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I just now see the similarity with CC.

Mind = blown.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I don't see much similarities with Crystal Caves. Rather, some with Trolls:

Trolls world map:

In level:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vNLPHIJuReg/T ... 529_27.png

And some other games which I don't remember their names.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Hello? Technical support? Yeah, someone puked a rainbow into my platformer.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Levellass wrote:Hello? Technical support? Yeah, someone puked a rainbow into my platformer.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

And here is the ZapZot link.

http://files.zapzot.net/mods/tfgitu.zip

I need to play this mod.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Cool. And yeah, you must. :british

And just to make clear, I was not trying to make it a CC copy, it was just something that inspired me (the memory I have, I actually haven't played CC in a while) -- that is, the physics and a character that can fit 1-tile corridors, etc etc.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Flyingmouse
Vortininja

Post by Flyingmouse »

I've gotta admit, this was kinda fun. The ammo system was certainly unique, and the ending was fantastic, if kinda bizarre. Then again, that seems to be one of your specialties.

On another note, that health system... I've been wanting to see that for a couple of years by now. Is there anyway you can do that with the pogo count instead of ammo?
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

I have some troubles starting this mod. I did copy my Keen 3 files into the folder and tried to UNLZEXE the KEEN3.exe but the version included doesn't work on my 64bit system. So I went to the Keen Wiki to get this version of UNLZEXE, did the decrompression and the mod still won't start. It says: "Unrecognised version of KEEN3.exe (Did you remember to UNLZEXE the executable?)"

Can anyone help? Or is there a mod that comes with a ready-to-go KEEN3.exe?
I'm sick of armani sunglases
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

Update: Nevermind. For some reason the UNLZEXE didn't overwrite the KEEN3.exe and just createt a KEEN3NEW file. I renamed it and now everything works fine.
I'm sick of armani sunglases
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I just had to post to say that this thread had 666 views before I posted.

Oh yeah, and this mod is amazing. The graphics are brilliant. Love the ammo system too. I've still to play all of it...
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Keenfan wrote:Update: Nevermind. For some reason the UNLZEXE didn't overwrite the KEEN3.exe and just createt a KEEN3NEW file. I renamed it and now everything works fine.

This is why I use UNP.EXE.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

So I just got around to finishing this one :old Sorry, Keenrush.

This was a solid mod; I didn't quite like it as much as your previous two, but only because I didn't care for the art style much. This isn't to say the graphics are bad: the design of your tiles and enemies is great, liked the color scheme, I just didn't find the simplicity/big-lines design appealing.

The levels are masterful. Great length, great challenge, really satisfying feeling in figuring out how to progress. I did use save-states, but they were rarely necessary. I also really liked the way you sculpted borders with your tiles, rather than utilizing the screen edges; this could have been really disorienting, but you did it consistently in a relatively predictable pattern that made me 'trust' the level design, if that makes sense.

Patches were nice. Really enjoyed the enemy behaviors. The ammunition patch is excellent and very clever. I'm not sure how I felt about the lives mechanic; ultimately it saved me some loading, but often it lead me to just ignore enemies.

I couldn't figure out how to get to the secret level :dopekeen

Startling ending, but really neat way of achieving it. I played it several times just to make sure I couldn't escape.