Ok, my turn- my mod 'The Ruin of Roib'

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

StupidBunny wrote:Looking forward to trying to beat this mother.
hey you might not want to do that right now! (as in, play the game 'properly') im gonna release a 'beta v2' soonish in which the game is a bit easier, amongst other things.

Levellass wrote:Also I have a list of approximately 25 bugs to report.
oh neat :D uh... can i see this list?

and thanks a bunch also levellass for that code there ;) for that i just may make your name bigger on teh credits pic.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I agree with StupidBunny. There are some very profound themes found in this game that really struck a chord with me. I almost cried reading the storyline; sadly enough, because I feel like I can relate to Keen in it.
It's sad you don't plan on doing much more modding. I would actually like to see you use your talents to produce original games, not starring Keen.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Would you like feedback on spelling/grammatical errors in the game? There are a couple of missing apostrophes in the opening story.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Hope you won't be like TheJosh in Wolf3D - doing one great mod, and dissapearing.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Paramultart wrote:I agree with StupidBunny. There are some very profound themes found in this game that really struck a chord with me. I almost cried reading the storyline; sadly enough, because I feel like I can relate to Keen in it.
haha, thats really sweet. thanks ;) yeah keen being a grown up loser is kinda like how I feel like i am in life at the moment. but i just thought it was a good idea for keen in general really.

It's sad you don't plan on doing much more modding. I would actually like to see you use your talents to produce original games, not starring Keen.
ive done some mods for the game Doom in the past. i also do animations and stuff. ive never made a stand-alone game before because i can't program.

Keening_Product wrote:Would you like feedback on spelling/grammatical errors in the game? There are a couple of missing apostrophes in the opening story.
oh really? well i don't care too much for the apostrophes i guess, mainly the spellings of words. I know i spelt 'Gleem' wrong, for one.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Bernie wrote:
Paramultart wrote:I agree with StupidBunny. There are some very profound themes found in this game that really struck a chord with me. I almost cried reading the storyline; sadly enough, because I feel like I can relate to Keen in it.
haha, thats really sweet. thanks ;) yeah keen being a grown up loser is kinda like how I feel like i am in life at the moment.
Yes, this resonated with all of us...all of us feel like "grown-up" Keen.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

life really sux doesnt it.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Yeah....from bright kids we become some beerbelly adults who have nothing beside good old memories.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Bernie wrote:oh really? well i don't care too much for the apostrophes i guess, mainly the spellings of words. I know i spelt 'Gleem' wrong, for one.
I think you should care - bad grammar ruins the professionalism of amazingly well constructed games like this one. Feel free to run game text past me - my day job involves subediting and I may be able to pick up some errors you might have missed.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Keening_Product wrote:I think you should care - bad grammar ruins the professionalism of amazingly well constructed games like this one. Feel free to run game text past me - my day job involves subediting and I may be able to pick up some errors you might have missed.
oh... well, if you dont mind editing text of mine, then go for it :p its not like i have to do anything.
so what are some of the grammar errors with any texts? (i know in the 'star wars' scrawl theres a line that reads something like 'transforms to COMMANDER KEEN'- and i know it should be 'transforms *into*...' but the damn 24 character limit for a line gets in the way and that sentence would be way too short, and etc.etc. too much of a hassle to fix.

you can send me any errors via PM if you want.

and yes, you are all my beta testers now ;)
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

I found the whole mod to be amazing.

Even when taking a 20-odd year-old game, masterpieces as such are created.

Now onto mechanic review.
One thing that I found funny (but annoying as fucl) was the overall slowness of Keen.
He climbs stuff slowly, walks slowly, and pogos around just like somebody who hasn't pogoed for decades.

The level markers, though not a big issue, is coupled with the large amount of debris on the world map, forcing players to hold CTRL to make sure they don't accidentally move past the next gate without missing it.
This can cause a few levels (the wasteland, mostly) to be skipped entirely, even if the intention was for that to happen.

A couple of the enemies are fairly easy to see what they were replacements of, but I was thrown off by almost all of them.

the squid thing is a bounder
the trashcan is also a bounder (more on this later)
the green spike thing is a wormouth
the rainbowbot is an arachnut?
the drones appear to be bluebirds
the slime blobs seem to be licks that explode (i love these)

I managed to win at paddle war, yay!
It threw me off until I realized that they were half the length that they appeared to be.

about the trashcans, was that intentional, or would it be fine if you could walk through them?

Again, solid work overall.
The unintentional glitches are annoying, but not impossible to work around.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Eros wrote: One thing that I found funny (but annoying as fucl) was the overall slowness of Keen.
He climbs stuff slowly, walks slowly, and pogos around just like somebody who hasn't pogoed for decades.
well, apart from his climbing up from ledges, i havent changed keen's speed at all. i did consider making his jumps smaller, but didnt go for it. maybe he just looks slower cause the sprites are bigger.

The level markers, though not a big issue, is coupled with the large amount of debris on the world map, forcing players to hold CTRL to make sure they don't accidentally move past the next gate without missing it.
yeah, i think i will add some sort of marker to the levels. thanks.

the squid thing is a bounder
the trashcan is also a bounder (more on this later)
the green spike thing is a wormouth
the rainbowbot is an arachnut?
the drones appear to be bluebirds
the slime blobs seem to be licks that explode (i love these)
you're wrong with some of these :p they are:
-uh...what squid thing are you referring to?
-if by rainbowbot you mean the zapping robots that turns at random moments, well they're from the poison slugs
-the drones are from the skypests
-slime blobs were from the blue birds.

well after i've messed around with enemies quite a bit, i've found that it really doesn't matter at all what they started out as. i could've made the drones out of the poison slugs, for instance.

about the trashcans, was that intentional, or would it be fine if you could walk through them?
uh, what trashcans are you talking about? the blue things that you can shoot to move them around? if yes, then yeah you can jump down from them when you're standing on them, which is perfect (you can get stuck in some sections if you can't).
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I ended outside of this level:

Btw that level was really surprising!

Is that pokemon ball supposed to be a level?

And please don't add markers for the levels... It's not that hard to figure out which is and which is not a level.

imo what I think should be done in order for this game to be more balanced: increase the stunning time of the flipheads and make those nerdy Kreegs (that shoots you) vulnerable. Even if it costs you like 5 ammo, just make them killable. And a bit more ammo in the early levels.

And about the music. I don't like it. By the time it gets repeated, I've turned it off. I only turn it on in new levels, only to see if a new tune is playing, but men, most of it I don't have the nerves to listen.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

wiivn wrote:I ended outside of this level:
oh crap :/ did you appear there right after finishing it?
Edit: hey i just tried the level and finished it, but i had no problem. i wonder what caused that.
Is that pokemon ball supposed to be a level?
na its just a pointless reference. i was generally trying to put a bit more of an RPG feel to the map level, and was thinking of the pokemon games.
make those nerdy Kreegs (that shoots you) vulnerable. Even if it costs you like 5 ammo, just make them killable. And a bit more ammo in the early levels.
well its sorta complex to make an enemy in keen 4 take more than 1 shot to kill. i thought about having them temporarily stunnable (like the arachnuts) but lets see if im bothered to do this or not. :p
And about the music. I don't like it. By the time it gets repeated, I've turned it off. I only turn it on in new levels, only to see if a new tune is playing, but men, most of it I don't have the nerves to listen.
i actually like the music i made for it :p i dont get what you guys are talking about. although i do think its too repetitive- but there isnt much i can do about that. a few of my tunes are quite big, memory wise (even after i already butchered them to make them smaller), so i have to have them as short as comfortably possible.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Yeah, right after finishing it. Try something like what I was doing: saving before the level, finish it, load, enter again, finish it etc.

As for the other things: I guess memory limitations are a garg.

One more thing. I didn't succeed with beating the boss. And I tried a lot, but without success. Anyone beat the boss without cheats?

I found two 30k points (those are awesome!). Are there more?