Updated- 'The Ruin of Roib' - beta v3

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Guys- now, I know I have severe mental problems- but how likely does anyone think it would be to cut some kinda deal with Id Software and sell this mod? all you guys helping will get a cut of it ofcourse.
I'd love to make a box for this and sell it all for like $10. I'd buy it, if i saw it in a shop. (the only thing to fix would be to convert the .bat into a .exe to make it look more professional). ohhh! and make a manual. that'll be fun.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

My answer is a clear no.
The only market nowadays for this kind of game would be an iPhone/Android app. And keen is not really made for that.
Other than that I think the market for a boxed pc game in EGA is gone. This forum has 630 users, a maximum of ten percent of which I'd reckon has been active for a certain period at least. Meaning the expected sales for a pc version lies somewhere about 100 pieces if you're optimistic.
A way that might work better would be through steam or gog, but still I don't see how ID should even care about it.
Plus 10$ is much too expensive for a game that has the air of an app for todays audience. 1,99$ is the maximum you could charge I guess.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

Bernie wrote:Guys- now, I know I have severe mental problems- but how likely does anyone think it would be to cut some kinda deal with Id Software and sell this mod?

ID will more likely than not eat your children instead...

they were being jerks about the whole Tom Hall can't have Keen thing, so either they're not going to touch the mod, or you'll be receiving such a small part of it, that it wouldn't be worth doing.

also like tulip said, it's just not feasible with steam and cell phone games at an all-time high.

i'm sure you don't want this to be the next commander smart...
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Eros wrote: i'm sure you don't want this to be the next commander smart...
hehe, what is that??

well yeah I kinda doubt it too. But they can charge whatever they want, but I just mean *generally* doing *something* more with the mod, if at all possible. they can sell it for a buck, i don't mind. just something to put on the ol' resume.
kinda sad that in this world you have to make money in order to 'do' or 'achieve' something. but meh, just an idea to put out there.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

No. Keen mods are supposed to a creation of passion, and monetizing them would ruin the spirit behind modding. I'd rather have people enjoy my mods then make a few bucks off of them. It's true that I've poured hundreds of hours into a mod for 3 years, but I wouldn't think of selling it. Besides, I doubt many people would ever purchase a mod, and then who would play it? I understand the rationale behind wanting compensation for all those hours of work, but honestly I'd prefer attention over cash.

The frustrating thing about Keen modding is that it's to find what more you can do with a mod. I've been trying to promote mine to get some extra attention, but when it comes down to it you just have to accept that the Keen community is small
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Gridlock wrote:No. Keen mods are supposed to a creation of passion, and monetizing them would ruin the spirit behind modding. I'd rather have people enjoy my mods then make a few bucks off of them.
oh yeah, i agree with you. I don't mean what i said in a money-grabbing way. i just think it'll be good for me personally if i could do something *more* with my mod, since i dont have much going on in my life at the moment. but if i can't, then i can't. life goes on.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I'd say go for it and follow your desires. Nobody has ever done anything like that before, so that's why it could work. And nobody can tell you for sure whether you'll succeed or not. Also, we saw a company that bought the Keen Dreams rights, so things are constantly changing. What something seemed impossible before, now can be possible.

I'd rather go for a digital download though, and at a lower price. Boxed game would require a lot of money, but could be arranged for some limited editions for those who are willing to pay for it (but it would cost more than $10). That's where kickstarter may help though.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

hey thanks wiivn, for supporting my rediculous ideas :p but i dunno where to start exactly. do you think I should just, you know, send an email to Id Software about this?
and with Kickstarter, it seems as if there would be thousands of proposals on there, so this one would just get lost in the crowd. I mean, I enjoy being mentally unstable and everything, but I just don't know how to practically go about this.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss... you'll fall and break both legs crippling you for life.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Gridlock wrote:It's true that I've poured hundreds of hours into a mod for 3 years, but I wouldn't think of selling it.
I think that's because there's no chance of earning money with it. Nobody would oppose that strongly if it was clear that we all got 10K bucks for each of our mods.
I welcome the "making mods out of passion" notion, I just don't think so romantically about the world anymore that I believe everyone can live off passion, but on the other hand I'm in here out of pure passion and absolutely no financial interest.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

i made this mod with a grand scheme in mind! I will sell this mod, and use the riches to build an army and empire to engulf this earth! mwahahaha!
jokes ;) i dont really care if i don't make any money. it'll just be interesting to see what i could do with it.
but im pretty stubborn and I bet I won't get around to actually do anything. i'm all talk.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I think it would be cool (but very expensive) for the maker(s) of excellent mods like yours Bernie, to make custom packaging and to mail it to those interested to have as a piece of Keening memorabilia. If recipients paid postage/packaging or something. In fact I may have voiced this idea before as a way to run a paper-based Keen community in the event of Id shutting down this site!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Bernie wrote: i'm all talk.
You're way past "all talk" dude. You actually made a mod. The usual all-talk-type we get around here would be "Hey wouldn't it be cool to make a mod about [insert theme here]." and then nothing after that.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

there was a dude in the 'Doom community' (I guess you could call it) that made a box and manual for a doom mod he made. actually, come to think of it, I think he did charge for it :/ but maybe he just charged for the postage, like you said Benvolio.
But I think it'll be cool to introduce it to more people in general, not just amongst you guys (or just Keen players). thus my idea of somehow selling it in general.
i dunno really.
(but then you could argue 'hey the Keen games are so old! Who would buy a mod for that?' but then I would counter-argue the fact that a number of games these days are of an old-timey game look, like Minecraft. I don't think people care as much these days about games having the most up-to-date technology. i definitely don't.)
tulip wrote:You're way past "all talk" dude. You actually made a mod.
heh, well true. thanks ;)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I guessed that we are only chit-chatting here, but what you are talking about is the indie waters. Yes, indie games are very popular these days (heck, even m$ and Sony devote parts of their E3 presentations for indie games) and yes, some are very profitable. In addition, when we talk about Keen, there's also the nostalgic factor. So whoever thinks this shouldn't be profitable or have any doubts is mostly wrong.

The only problem here is the keen rights. So, yeah. Take a shot and go talk to id and lets see what will happen, even if it's just for fun. One possibility is that your mod might end up in a future Keen pack/update released by id on steam (as an additional content or something). You see, if you convince them that people love to get more out of their money, and that your mod will add additional value to a Keen pack, they might rethink their position. People love additional content for the same amount of money. But make sure the mod is without crashing problems.

Even if we are only chatting here, I'm actually glad we are discussing this subject and I really hope you would do something like that. Lets muddle the dark id waters!