Updated- 'The Ruin of Roib' - beta v3

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Extra levels patches: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Patch:L ... tra_levels

It basically adds extra entries for things like level names but it's quite simple if you understand how they work. (For more than 24 levels some levels can't be permanently completed in the way of normal levels or they'll overwrite Keen's items.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

thanks lass but i'll probly just stick to having 15 standard levels again. i dont want to take too long to make the mod :/
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

NO! MORE! MORE! MORE LEVELS IS THE WAY TO GO!

Just look at how successful Corridor 7 and Super Noah's Ark 3D are!
I'm the cool blue keener.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

haha. its weird- you were first this guy who kept going on and on about Sonic and now you're becoming one of the funniest people on these boards :p
i like you cobalt.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

did any of you guys pick up on this?:

its not a perfect resemblence, but eh, good enough. i thought someone would've pointed that out by now :(
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Now I wonder what you'll come up for Episode 59's title screen :P
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

No, cool :) Very cool :)

So many discoveries....just yesterday I finally understood why they named this eye-dude Wazovski in "Monsters University". Pun on famous russian-american painter Aivazovsky.
Eye-Wazovski :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Aivazovsky
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Bernie wrote:did any of you guys pick up on this?:

its not a perfect resemblence, but eh, good enough. i thought someone would've pointed that out by now :(
:O :garg :eek
How did I missed that? Now it's so obvious! I feel like a :dopefish for not noticing this.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

the box art for Doom had demons below the 'doom guy', which is why i have enemies at the bottom of my title pic.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Now, now, this gives us an idea of how the title screen of Keen 69 will look like. :p
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

hehe, 69.

but no, for the sequel im ripping off the title from a different game entirely.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Actually I 'got' that it was a homage to Duke Nukum 3D.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

actually yeah it is a similar pose to the duke 3d title. i wonder how many poses like that are out there in game titles.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Paramultart wrote:
Bernie wrote:the level design in 'Ruin of Roib' wasn't that bad though was it? I think i did an okay job. the only real issue is that someone mentioned i made the player go back and forth throughout the level too much which i agree with. I think ive always been better at spectacle with design, but maybe not so great at playability.
then again its hard to judge something you yourself made.
I don't understand what anyone else is complaining about, I thought the levels were superb.
As did I. I thought the level design was great. As far as the 'repeated backtracking' goes there were only 3-5 levels at the most where it could not be avoided. 3 levels had a special trick with the gems which caused the player to backtrack to go back and get the same color gem multiple times. Otherwise most of the backtracking was actually optional. What I mean by optional is if you the kind of player that has to explore every inch of a level and grab everything available, then yes, backtracking was in almost every level and it could be a pain. As for short levels to balance out the larger and longer levels, there are short levels in this game. The beginning level as well as the "secret" levels are short and balance out the difficulty. This is a kick-ass mod. Yes, it can be quite difficult at times, most especially in normal and hard, but I love it.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

its a coincidence you bumped my thread cause i was thinking of doing the same. so, thanks :)

i was gonna bump it cause i was gonna ask:

i had this idea of changing this mod to not be about Commander Keen. Keep it as it is, just change his name, the story a bit and obviously some of the character graphics (especially the helmet). so its more of an independent mod/game.

but im not really sure. any suggestions or comments?