Updated- 'The Ruin of Roib' - beta v3

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

so do you have any plans on extending this amazing mod series to include the K6 and K5 installments?

if you have a plan for that or something, i would enjoy doing enemy design.
apparently i'm not bad at that.

also, can i have a list of all the enemy edits that you made?
like, what is springship a patched version of, what changed abilities did you give it, and from who did they come from?

that info would be useful, in case i end up pitching in.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

so do you have any plans on extending this amazing mod series to include the K6 and K5 installments?
yep! im working on the sequel to it. i should really release the 'completed' version of this mod though, im basically done with it.

if you have a plan for that or something, i would enjoy doing enemy design.
apparently i'm not bad at that
hmmm i guess i'd consider it. i thought about asking for help from some of you folks (so its not just me making it). but i'd mainly ask for help with patching, level design and maybe music.

also, can i have a list of all the enemy edits that you made?
like, what is springship a patched version of, what changed abilities did you give it, and from who did they come from?
you should go through the mod's patch file if you want the details of each enemy. its a bit cluttered but i usually clearly state what changes i've made. but to put it simply:
Poison Slug = Beserky - moves along the ground in a random fashion
'Spider crab' = Fliphead - slowed it down, added a bunch of sprite actions to make it's head 'flip'.
blue bird = slop - when it reaches an edge, it 'falls' instead of 'flys'; gave it the egg bursting code when you shoot it.
berkeloid = kreeg (white big head alien with gun) - made it walk along the ground normally, gave it the seasprite's shot code
seasprite = evil plant - reversed; gave it the berkeloid's shot code; fucl around for ages to get the bastard seed to bounce half decently.
smirky = loafer mite (round pink stationary ones) - took out nearly everything to make it just sit there.
wormouth = mutant tentacle (that comes out of the swamps) - probly the most similar enemy to it's original counterpart, mainly only made it strike at keen where he is standing, instead of a slight distance away.
skypest = drone (i think?) - just gave it the 'follow keen' behaviour, and it changes when it hits the ground when shot.
dopefish = boss - pretty similar to it's original counterpart actually, only major difference is that it doesn't 'eat' keen, and when it hits a sprite of a certain sprite type it 'shuts down', which is what kills it at the end.
lick = springship - slightly changed its jumping speed and size, made it unkillable for most of it's sprite actions except when it hits the ground after the second bounce, it turns into a 'killable' sprite action.
cloud = sewage pipes - made it stationary; none of that 'waking up' code; still used it's 'strike at keen when he is X distance away' code but made it's 'lightening' fall and turn into something else when it hits the ground.
sneaking rock = superdupers (sortof superhero looking guys) - made it walk along the ground like normal and got some code from someone to make it launch at keen regardless of whether or not his back is faced to it; then when it hits the ground gave it the stunned code.

forgot to mention a few times here and there i add in some new sound code.

so yeah, lots of typing :/ i think that sums that up basically. theres more to it than that, but if you want more, read the patch file.

PS it doesn't matter what the original enemy was. i could've made the boss out of the poison slug for instance. i only *generally* made my modded enemies out of the original enemy which was most similar to it cause i was just starting out with patching when i began making the mod.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

In the end the patching here is so thorough that it really doesn't matter anymore what was originally what. In my recent mods I'm ignoring the default stuff and starting from scratch, which would make it impossible to say what something 'used to be'
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

interesting.

I'll take a stab at what the next two are, sacing earth, then #3 is fighting the kreegs on their turf?
StupidBunny wrote:
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Sacing?

I'm all for leaving Earth to Mort, Keen can attack the Kreegs. If the two were simultaneous their plot lines could intertwine, that'd be quite interesting I think. (Heck if you got a mod team together you could probably *produce* them simultaneous.)
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Earth could be interesting. I'd prefer you avoid too much of a suburb setting, as we've seen that before. I think it would be neat if you had a lot of the game take place deep underground, perhaps even in the earth's core. I actually had an idea myself for a mod inside earth's core with lots of rocks and lava. There's a one level beta of it here: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Lava

It's very old and pretty bad, but maybe you'll find something useful (or not).

I find myself wanting to do a trilogy with Atroxian Realm, but I don't know that it'll happen. If you think you can pull if it off with these games, then why not go for it? You do seem to mod very quickly.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

This mod is bloody amazing.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

levellass wrote:If the two were simultaneous their plot lines could intertwine, that'd be quite interesting I think.
thats interesting actually. and maybe the last level of the second installment is the same last level as the third installment, like they both come together in the end. its interesting but im not really a fan of that mortimer mcmire character. i dont really want to use him at all :/

Gridlock wrote:Earth could be interesting. I'd prefer you avoid too much of a suburb setting, as we've seen that before. I think it would be neat if you had a lot of the game take place deep underground, perhaps even in the earth's core.
you guessed well ;) the next one does indeed take place underground. but there isn't any lava stuff (i want to avoid that), instead the game will generally have a 'fantasy' vibe to it. giant mushrooms etc. but thats *if* i actually get around to finishing it. i always feel as if i'll quit working on it at any moment :s

anyhoos- whats the standard practice for carralling some of you guys to help me out with it? start up a thread about it or something? i know theres an ICQ channel for this site, but i tried it a few times and theres never anyone there.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I would start a thread in the unofficial Keen games forum first to at least let people know. There is a #keenmodding irc channel, although often it is very quiet.

I'd offer to help with a few level designs or something, but I think I'll have too much on my plate. It's possible I might have time over the next few weeks, though.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Having a dropbox for the mod and inviting people to join works. The problem is ensuring people work as fast as you do.

Avoiding lava underground is a good idea. It's been done. Might I suggest some 'fantasy' stuff that actually exists? Such as:

* Fossils: http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/p/LR ... athers.jpg

* Caves with stalactites n' stuff: http://cavesoftheworld.yolasite.com/res ... actite.jpg

* Underground rivers: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-X6Isouwj6yo/T ... r+Boat.jpg

(Incidentally all three can be found a mere 100km from my house!)
thats interesting actually. and maybe the last level of the second installment is the same last level as the third installment, like they both come together in the end. its interesting but im not really a fan of that mortimer mcmire character. i dont really want to use him at all :/
In that case President McMire puts his best agent on the case, an up-and-coming young lady from the CIA. Becky Blaze! With her network of spy cameras and hacked computers she goes forth to tackle the alien menace.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

Bernie wrote:anyhoos- whats the standard practice for carralling some of you guys to help me out with it? start up a thread about it or something? i know theres an ICQ channel for this site, but i tried it a few times and theres never anyone there.

for me, it's you saying something in your thread like this, and then me sending you my ideas for the entirety of a modded K5 mob list.

speaking of which, i can probably get that to you tomorrow if you're interested in that.
StupidBunny wrote:
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Gridlock wrote:I'd offer to help with a few level designs or something, but I think I'll have too much on my plate. It's possible I might have time over the next few weeks, though.
hmmm. well thanks for the offer but i'd still like to get some patching and things cleared up before I start working on level design. im still working on a few 'game mechanics' that may alter how levels are designed. besides, i think by far the thing i'd like most help with is patching. i think im pretty good with it generally, its just that its so damn time consuming.
Levellass wrote:Avoiding lava underground is a good idea. It's been done. Might I suggest some 'fantasy' stuff that actually exists? Such as:

* Fossils:
* Caves with stalactites n' stuff:
* Underground rivers:
thanks lass, i also thought of stalactites/mites, aswell as underground rivers- though having fossils didnt occur to me. interesting.
Levellass wrote: (Incidentally all three can be found a mere 100km from my house!)
tsk, lucky you. new zealand really does seem like tasmania (a friend of my mother's lives in tasmania and also lives near caves. shes a cave tour guide actually).

In that case President McMire puts his best agent on the case, an up-and-coming young lady from the CIA. Becky Blaze! With her network of spy cameras and hacked computers she goes forth to tackle the alien menace.
haha. uhhhhh no.

Eros wrote:for me, it's you saying something in your thread like this, and then me sending you my ideas for the entirety of a modded K5 mob list.
speaking of which, i can probably get that to you tomorrow if you're interested in that.
well im making this sequel in the keen 4 engine again. but sure you can send me anything you want (doesn't mean i'll use it ofcourse). i already got a few enemies going though.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

so heres a screenshot of keen 59 ;)

DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Wow, what a pic....is it from the sequel?
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Woah that background - the whole thing in fact - is just on another level of greatness altogether. Can't wait for this now! Will it be long before we get to play Keen 59?