Terror from Outer Space

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Levellass wrote:
Also also, in the Explorer stage, when Keen first enters the ship (the larger portion), if he does the Impossible Pogo Trick to the right, he can grab the green gem and completely bypass the rest of that area leading up to it.
For future reference, my upcomming mods contain lots of things like that, be tricky and you can skip stuff. These are not bugs.
It depends. If it were my mod, I wouldn't want the player to be able to skip such a large chunk of a level, especially such a late level. I figure that it's best to let him know about this in case he cares; no harm in doing so, right?
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Plasma Captain wrote:also, in the Explorer stage, when Keen first enters the ship (the larger portion), if he does the Impossible Pogo Trick to the right, he can grab the green gem and completely bypass the rest of that area leading up to it.
Fixed
Levellass wrote:You need to fall onto the shots and make sure they don't push past you (and kill you) so it's a rare error and now you mention God Mode, that makes thing so much easier. It shouldn't be a problem to change the sprite's type to fix that bug.
The problem is that the up-shot is ridable and there is only one sprite type for all shooters.
Levellass wrote:If this isn't story for the sequels then you could possibly use up some of your unused tile with say SGA explaining this in some levels. Or add it to the story.
I used the SGA variant. Spoiler
Levellass wrote:Can't you see I'm making things better? Surely a child as intelligent and capable as you can appreciate the simple beauty of my plans? I do not destroy, I create! I do not hurt, I heal! The galaxy would be so much BETTER if everyone just did as i said!
Great sentence :drool ; implemented. And thank you for the txt files!
Flaose wrote:Here's a revised Star Wars text scroll
Also a thanks to you :). Much better now.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

That's some nifty spoilers.

The problem is that the up-shot is ridable and there is only one sprite type for all shooters.
I thought of that; it's a simple thing to make only the up shot ridable by giving it a behavior that changes its sprite type. http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Patch:S ... e.27s_type
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Well,

here it looks like under the 640x480 settings with CG.

I like that Mod. It looks promising

Dr.Colossus, I just sent you a PM.

NOTE: This game will run on the 1.6.5 Release of CG. It's not released yet.
Having fun developing stuff...
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Wow! Will play the final version of this mod with CG!
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Levellass wrote:I thought of that; it's a simple thing to make only the up shot ridable by giving it a behavior that changes its sprite type. http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Patch:S ... e.27s_type
Wow. I didn't know there's a patch for that. Added the patch.
gerstrong wrote:Well, here it looks like under the 640x480 settings with CG.
Cool!

Update time (I hope it's the last):
TTFOS_BetaV3.zip
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

After there were no more bug reports, I declare this version as final one.

Final version:
TTFOS.zip
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

I hope the Final Version doesn't include this:

Really. What am I supposed to do? Jump over the laser blasts? The ceiling's too low. And it leaks. Good grief. :redeyes
EDIT: Yay! Got green gem! ....Now how do I get back? This should never happen. I'm hopping mad at this.
But at least I got back safe and sound and placed the green gem in the holder. Serves me right for playing this on Hard.
I'll have an entire play-through with commentary uploaded on youtube.com/breakdownhouse once I finish the game.

EDIT 2: Okay. Wow. Having major issues with this blasted level (the one up north on the mothership's paw.
How am I supposed to know what level name it is? Oh wait! Pressing Enter with tell me. That is very handy. The level is Weaponary B.)
How about putting a nice little arrow where the red circle is:

There's an adult bleech right underneath there, for crying out loud. Dayum. :tired
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:34, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Changed it right now:
troublesomekeen wrote:I hope the Final Version doesn't include this:
Removed one shooter.
troublesomekeen wrote: There's an adult bleech right underneath there, for crying out loud. Dayum. :tired
It only appears on "Hard"
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Well, Doctor. I don't mean to say any of these things are design flaws.
It's very high difficulty but not impossible.
Of course, some things are just plain brutal:

Dear Lord, why? How could you do that? You limit the area to walk on to just 1 tile and place Adult Bleeches on either side. Jumping from 1 tile over a hazard toward a stunned Bleech is hard enough, but then you also have to time it with the green acid drip? And by that time the Bleech wakes up? And the other one behind you block you in? So that even if you did flick the switch, you escape route is caught off, you're jumping into an acid puddle hazard with a Bleech firing at you from behind. This is a crime.
You literally have to try dozens of times, saving and reloading just to get past a tiny chunk of the foreboding and almost unbeatable Weaponary.
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:32, edited 1 time in total.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Infuriating isn't it? Doable, but still...

Also, is it intentional the 'Chemistry' is spelled 'Chemestry' in this mod?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

A good challenging mod, pretty neat.
Having fun developing stuff...
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Levellass wrote:Infuriating isn't it? Doable, but still...
Did it! I WIN! Now on to the Trogg Pod.
. . .
Oh crud. Yeah....

Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:32, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Ok. I will release in next week the final final version:
troublesomekeen wrote:Well, Doctor. I don't mean to say any of these things are design flaws.
It's very high difficulty but not impossible.
Of course, some things are just plain brutal:

Removed the second bleech.
Levellass wrote:Also, is it intentional the 'Chemistry' is spelled 'Chemestry' in this mod?
Changed the name to 'Chemistry'
troublesomekeen wrote: Image
Changed the middle platform to a regular "jump through" one.

If there are other "too hard" situations I should change, post them and will change them.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I don't have anything particular against too hard places if they are optional.