Terror from Outer Space

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

wiivn wrote:@troublesomekeen you didn't found the biggest secret in the first level...
Heeeeey! Thanks for watching! Stay tuned...
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

This is very well done! Quite enjoyable, if a little hard.

Actually I find that a lot of new galaxy mods that are being released are very hard compared to the original episodes. This isn't a complaint, I just find myself saving a little too often, hoping that nothing will jump out and kill me.

I'd be interested to know what program you used to create your graphics. I'm still using ms paint and creating graphics is a bit of a chore using it.

Anyway, brilliant mod that I'm yet to finish!
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Benvolio wrote:First I must ask... are you a fan of The Troggs? :P
I totally forgot that there's a band who is called "The Troggs". The name is inspired by Troglodyte
Benvolio wrote: so far, level one is nice but ever so slightly more challenging than the traditionally linear no-brainer first levels. Or maybe I'm just unobservant.
I know. This was originally only a test level I made. I realized too late that I had no more levels left to make a first one. Then I used this level as the first level.
Bernie wrote:I didn't like too much, like the actual bouncing brains and the pogo enemies, just because it was too obvious to see which enemy they're patched from.
The Bounder, Lick and the Dopefish were the first enemies I altered. At that time I didn't know that I can change so much with patches.
Bubbatom wrote: I'd be interested to know what program you used to create your graphics. I'm still using ms paint and creating graphics is a bit of a chore using it.
I use GIMP. this program is almost as good as photoshop.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

i had another play of it, and heres a few more little complaints i had with it:
*too hard throughout
*quite a few enemies seem very similar to one another (all those temporarily stunned enemies).
*doesn't seem like theres many different musical tracks (i kept hearing the same few songs all the time, from memory).

and heres a few good points about it i had:
*good level design
*i love that purple tech area.
*quite an interesting setup/arangement for the worldmap.
*some of the graphics is really good (but then theres some graphics that isn't of the same quality at all. I think its usually best to level the quality out, imo).

btw are there more than 18 levels?
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Bernie wrote:*quite a few enemies seem very similar to one another (all those temporarily stunned enemies).
I know, there are 3 temporarily stunned enemies:
Adult Bleech (Berkeloid)
Cave Trogg (Treasure Eater)
Blue Jellyfish (Blue Bird)

The Proto Bleech (Arachnut) is permanently stunnable if you hit it with three rapid shots.
Bernie wrote:doesn't seem like theres many different musical tracks (i kept hearing the same few songs all the time, from memory).
There are five different songs included, as well as in Keen4. But some of them sounds like the same.
Bernie wrote:btw are there more than 18 levels?
There are 18 "regular" levels + worldmap + highscore
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Bernie wrote:*too hard throughout
You don't remember the difficulty of your mod? Your mod is also too hard at a lot of places.
Bernie wrote:*doesn't seem like theres many different musical tracks (i kept hearing the same few songs all the time, from memory).
I agree that they're repetitive, but imko they're still better than those in Keen 58.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

wiivn wrote:You don't remember the difficulty of your mod? Your mod is also too hard at a lot of places.
yeah people mentioned this to me a number of times and I made it easier. if you still think my mod is still too hard by all means tell me. my mod has problems anyways. nothings perfect.

having hard levels or hard spots isn't a bad thing. but i think there should be some progression, or difficulty curve. i found some spots in this mod early on in the game to be way too hard. imo ofcourse.

dr.collossus wrote:There are five different songs included, as well as in Keen4. But some of them sounds like the same.
theres a reasonably easy patch on the 'music' patch wiki page where you can add in tons of more music. if you're interested.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

You can get stuck there.

Additionally you can get stuck here:

http://imageshack.us/a/img812/5219/b960.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img28/7403/vp1y.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img842/2927/e07j.png

tile problem:
http://imageshack.us/a/img802/2826/e61.png

I've played this on normal and here are my thoughts:

Story: 7/10. Fit well the keen universe. Interesting plot.

Graphics: 9/10. Simply beautiful, creative. You can hardly ask for more.

Level design: 8/10. Cool level design with a lot of variety. But when you reach the middle of the game, it gets a little bit predictive.

Difficulty: 2/10 - the game is too difficult for my taste. It was constantly save and load process... And after a while, this gets on my nerves and the enjoyment was gone. I especially don't like those enemies that are only temporary stunned and woke up. And you've made at least three types of these! I think this is one of the worst ways to increase the difficulty. The only positive thing is that you may never reach 99 ammo.

Music: 4/10. It was not bad, but was too repetitive and after a while I turned it off.

Sounds: no rating for sounds since they weren't changed.

In conclusion, I wish I could give this high quality mod a higher rating, but the difficulty and a bit the music killed the game for me. Otherwise this could be the mod of the year. Still, this is a beta and should these issues be fixed, this will be a superb mod by any means!

Overall: 6/10.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

troublesomekeen wrote:
Eros wrote:However, do you mind uploading a download link using dropbox or zip files?
WinRar is fiddly, and either of the two are more generic programs
Is there a problem with compression or download? Here's a dropbox link to the exact same file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/773 ... FOS_V1.rar
(Guys, it's been a blast so far. The busy summer is winding down and Keening is getting back on schedule. Hooray for 400 posts and here's to 4,000 more!)
Same issue with that dropbox link, if it's .rar, I can't use it.

I said that the problem was me not being able to access the file due to not having WinRar, so for me to be able to see it, somebody would have to upload a non-compressed version (or one that doesn't use WinRar).

I've had no issues with say, Riob or ValKeen, because those were either directly on Dropbox or used .zip instead of .rar

:dead
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

But why? Simply install winrar.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I played the first level, a lot of good things to say, some minor suggestions. I hope to play more tonight and want to comment more this week.

For now, I'll say there are some great graphics seen in level 1, I love the elctronic clutter, but maybe TOO much is packed into this level, usually all grouped together. Generally, I think the design is good with the exception of the keygem door reached by goplat; I think there should be at least 1 new thing to do after crossing a goplat to a new area like that, not just discovering the need to go immediately go back.

Commenting on the Bleech Larva since I saw it was criticized for using the same behavior as the lick. I think it's great. If the behavior works well for the enemy, which it does, why change it for the sake of change.

Concerning the difficulty of the first level, focusing on one aspect, I find the Corrupted Vorticon Youth to be a challenging enemy not really suitable to a first level. This is because it's hard to kill (hard to hit without missing several shots), and because its movement is unpredictable. This makes it a great enemy, but not really first level material. The Corrupted Vorticon Guards, on the other hand, are very simple, almost too much so, but excellent for a first level, and the way you use slopes make them a good variable challenge.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Eros wrote:Same issue with that dropbox link, if it's .rar, I can't use it.
I said that the problem was me not being able to access the file due to not having WinRar, so for me to be able to see it, somebody would have to upload a non-compressed version (or one that doesn't use WinRar).
Oh. Whoops, pardon me. Okay. I made it into a .zip, so try this out:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/773 ... nTTFOS.zip
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

*Cricks*

Hoookay; played the first half as a warmup on all 3 difficulties. Bugs first.

Keen's map walking can be glitched here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/394 ... ch_000.avi

This guy... not sure what happened to him: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/394 ... ch_001.avi

I can stand on the shooter guys, this allows for me to move down on poles onto them: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/394 ... ch_002.avi

This bug has been noted above and is a problem where you have a secret too near the edge of a wall:

I can make this floater guy go onto a bridge, remove the bridge and make him spin; also when stunned these guys should fall like other stunned sprites, not sit in the air.

I can ride on the orange shots, sometimes right across the level:

I shouldn't be able to go into this ceiling bit here, it looks odd at the end bit (Not shown because of NOM.)

The floor here has a tile pattern glitch in it:

The ceiling here may have a tile glitch (No edge) but I am not sure if that was deliberate or not:

Finally your story could really use an English speaker looking over some of the grammar, it's minor things, the English equivalent of the sentence Die Zeit fliegt wie ein Pfeil, Frucht fliegt wie ein Banane.

Now for the mod in general. I think the difficulty scaled quite well across easy-medium-hard (Oooh hard!)

The graphics were awesomely done, especially the theme enemies.
Love love LOVE the purple 4-hazards. Nifty animation there. You manage to put a wide variety of environments, from nature to space to the Mothership into one seamless mod (even level.)

Levels are exquisite, large and encouraging exploration.

Loved the music, I know all the inspiration songs. I wish there was more though, the selection seems limited. Even if it was the same song but with slightly different instrumentation it would have been useful.

Patchwork was brilliant.

This definitely rates at the higher end of the scale for me, more 7-8 out of 10. There's room for improvement, but nothing that would drastically change what the mod is.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

http://i.imgur.com/xIOl2YW.png

Not sure if this is intentional, the elevator wasn't moving.

Other than that, I got 3 levels left to do, and this is probably the best galaxy mod I played yet. Level design is tight, varied and never boring (even if the enviroments start getting a little repetitive), and the sense of progression and sections division is really impressive. Same goes for enemies and the various tricks (such as symbols representing what switch does what).

Looking forward to more works from you.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Eros wrote: Same issue with that dropbox link, if it's .rar, I can't use it.

I've had no issues with say, Riob or ValKeen, because those were either directly on Dropbox or used .zip instead of .rar

:dead
Ever heard of 7-zip? it will open all sorts of stuff including rar :p

*POSSIBLE SPOILER!*

so Dr. Colossus stole poor Cosmo's ship? :D
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.