Terror from Outer Space

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Commander Keen
Vortininja

Post by Commander Keen »

I did a small improvement to the game by restoring the loading screen with the correct name and version. I left a blank DOS screen for the exit screen though due to not knowing what info would best fit there. I also changed the file name, removing the extra T in KeenTTFOS to KeenTFOS to make it work in DOSBox and renamed play.bat to KeenTFOS.bat. Nothing else was changed. I know that this isnt much and can most likely be done by anyone with a basic knowledge in Keen editing, but I did it as a small gesture of thanks for making this game. I hope that Dr.Colossus approves of this work.

https://mega.co.nz/#!IM9ASK6L!ScoCmXn-W ... ssQlFxF1tg

EDIT: I cant seem to get the forums to make the whole link clickable, so youll have to copy and paste the link to make it work. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I cannot stand that disabled guard robot in the Space Station. In normal and I would also assume hard, there are too many of them, they are mostly all in small spaces and they move faster than Keen can. Once they head in your direction it is over! They are nearly impossible to dodge and even with in-level saving, I just cannot get past this level. If normal is this difficult, I may not even bother attempting hard, because it is probably next to impossible. Nevertheless, I still love this mod.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Dropbox, producer of sensible links. Or tinyurl, your link is now here: http://tinyurl.com/pagn3lm
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Hmm, tried using the URL tag but that fails, too.

This is the result, which at least makes clearer what is the exact URL: https://mega.co.nz/#!IM9ASK6L!ScoCmXn-W ... ssQlFxF1tg
Commander Keen
Vortininja

Post by Commander Keen »

Levellass wrote:
Dropbox, producer of sensible links. Or tinyurl, your link is now here: http://tinyurl.com/pagn3lm
Thanks Levellass. You are awesome! :)
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Still searching for a space suit :)
Megalyth
Grunt

Post by Megalyth »

Just popping in to say that this is an excellent mod. I finished it in one sitting, I was hooked after a few levels. The quality of everything here is outstanding, and I think this could easily have been a retail Commander Keen episode. I hope to someday play the rest of the trilogy.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

High praise indeed.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Wallachian
Grunt

Post by Wallachian »

Like Doomjedi, i will compare this mod to another masterpiece, Bernie's "The ruin of Roib". Art and overall atmosphere is weaker, but it isn't a big issue, because it's still above average. Bernie is a unbeatable master when it comes to design and mood (i think it's mod with best atmosphere i have ever played). But when it comes to gameplay, i will prefer your mode, Dr.Colossus. For me, Ruin of Roib was insanely hard even with save feature - maybe because of frequent crashes. Gameplay of Terror is nice challenge. Enemies are brilliant. All of them are really creative and it's fun to confront them. I especially love the pole-brain. Fighting with him was like old west shootout; i used shoot-and-dodge pattern (more accurately: shoot-and-jump) against him which really reminded me classic western movies. I really appreciate that you are not sure what to expect from enemy when you meet him for the first time.

My favorite level is probably "Explorer". I really like almost all the levels, but i feel that alien levels (more accurately: alien background design) are too colorful. They doesn't look balanced like other sets. But invaded ship is brilliant as well as deserted and infested buildings on planet or outdoor levels. Floating bubbles reminded me "The lost vikings" game.

I finished the mod, but i'm looking forward to play the mod again as soon as possible. Your mod have excellent balance between creativity, atmosphere and design. I hope that you will finish the trilogy, Dr. Colossus, because i think that your next mod will be even better.

Greetings from Prague to Germany!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

You've got one fine mod here, Doctor! Graphics are great, as is the enemy replacement and patching. I have no idea what replaced what. As someone mentioned, it was fun to shoot at all those bleeches, when some came floating in bubbles and others jumping, etc. Vortikids on pogos was pretty funny too. But what I liked the most here was the level design (which is fortunate since levels are the essence of a platformer) -- simply great, inventive levels. From background details to gameplay things like riding the bubbles to reach high places. I very seldom got frustrated unlike usually when playing K4-6 mods. The ending is fun! I know I forgot to mention something but I'll add it later if it comes to my mind. This is a great mod that I encourage everyone to try. Once again I'm amazed by the level of detail and attention Keeners put to their work.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Thanks for all these positive feedbacks :blush
DukeNukem 2417
Grunt

Post by DukeNukem 2417 »

Been playing this one for the last few days---it's infuriatingly hard in some points, but still pretty fun.
What's the point of growing up if you can't be a little childish sometimes?
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

So I'm a loser and have only just started making my way through this properly :o Sorry, Dr. Colossus!

Really fantastic work so far, I just managed to beat the Trog pod this afternoon and am working on the first space platform.

Your enemy behaviors are very creative! Really enjoy them and find them inspirational for my mod.

I'm enjoying the level design as well:

-I've never felt frustrated and lost in any levels yet
-I'm playing on Normal (I think) and the game is very hard, but generally feels fair. I'm saving and loading a lot :p
-The graphics, for the most part, are very well done and integrated. I recognize many as ripped, but you've done a fine job of 'making them your own'.

Suggestions for your future work, if you end up modding more:

Be generous with hitboxes and kill tiles. Animating tiles, particularly the wall things with the spiky tongues, feel like they kill 'too soon'. I've found it's prudent to not make the very tip of a tile like this deadly until the final frame of the animation.

The same goes for hitboxes, especially for fast moving creatures or spacesuit Keen; making the hitboxes smaller makes things feel more 'fair' and allows for fun narrow escapes!

Lastly, eye trauma. The trog pod level has so many colors and is hard to look at! In truth, the trouble isn't the number of colors (red, blue, green, purple) but the level of contrast; everything is so bright. More black, a good and thematic neutral color, even if it's just dithering, would really help soften the glare.

Looking forward to playing more :)
FanofSMBX
Grunt

Re: Terror from Outer Space

Post by FanofSMBX »

My suggest for sequel: Dr. Colossus kidnaps Keen and brainwashes him with mind-belt since he know that Keen will just foil that plan again like Mort's if left alone. So now Mort must rescue Keen and stop Dr. Colossus because there only room for one badguy.

Also, how you got permission to use these songs? They very cool especially 1000Jahre and Ohne Dich! Although 1000Jahre a very bad choice if it included vocals :crazy
Zilem
Vortininja

Re: Terror from Outer Space

Post by Zilem »

FanofSMBX wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:29 My suggest for sequel: Dr. Colossus kidnaps Keen and brainwashes him with mind-belt since he know that Keen will just foil that plan again like Mort's if left alone. So now Mort must rescue Keen and stop Dr. Colossus because there only room for one badguy.

Also, how you got permission to use these songs? They very cool especially 1000Jahre and Ohne Dich! Although 1000Jahre a very bad choice if it included vocals :crazy
Mortimer is about the last person that would save Keen (that we know of)
although if it was Molly, then it is much more likely Mortimer would come to the Rescue
but likely also be rather annoyed having to do it.

It, would be more likely Marta and Kylie would come to Keen's Rescue, or L.T. Barker for that matter.

But also Dr. Colossus is at hard work at the Galaxy remake of Keen 2 "The Earth Explodes"
we might see a sequel to The Terror From Outer Space, before or after Galaxy remake of Keen 3 "Keen Must Die"
It's up to the Doctor.
But I'd love to see a sequel to The Terror From Outer Space too! ^.^
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.