xky1rooms: levels of XkyKeen1 remade as 1-screens

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

xky1rooms: levels of XkyKeen1 remade as 1-screens

Post by KeenRush »

Sup :dopefish Here's something I started and practically finished in April, but didn't have the energy to put the finishing touches to it, until now... Here's a sort of art level pack for XkyKeen 1: I tried to squeeze each XkyKeen1 level into 20x13 space, that is, make all levels one-screen levels. Some results are pretty good, others take a more open mind. 8)

Here are two examples:

is LEVEL01 of XkyKeen1: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/File:Xk ... evel01.png

is LEVEL13 (and my favourite of this level pack): http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/File:Xk ... evel13.png

I hope you see even some resemblance... :stoopid

But see for yourself, download here: xky1rooms.zip. Take a copy of XkyKeen1 and extract this zip and replace files, then run XkyKeen1 as you would when playing that mod.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

What a fun idea! I enjoyed this, but then, I'm always a sucker for concept mods like these. Fun to play through a whole bunch of quick levels like these...not necessarily easy though, I ran out of ammo right before Mortimer told me I would. We should do this sort of thing with more mods, I think it would be a fun project.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Amazing. Incredible. Out of this world!

I can actually FINNISH this! And it's made by KeenRush!

I... I'm going to have to take a short nap, just let this sink in.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Am I the only one who noticed that this mod is not beatable?
Two levels, one containing the last ship part, are not accessible from the world map.

Here are the two offending levels:

Other than that, the 16 levels that were accessible, that I beat, were delightfully fun. This is just the kind of level design that appeals to me; short but sweet, with the occasional challenge.

It felt very rewarding until the bug prevented me from beating it.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Thanks for the comments, everyone. :)

Paramultart: Nothing to do with me though. I didn't modify the world map and the collectiables are in the same levels (of course) as they were in the original levels. It's XkyKeen1's fault: sometimes you can't enter all levels.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Wow! Very creative and great idea! I recognize both levels in your screenshots, Keenrush, and I'm amazed that you were able to both capture the essence and form of the level design in a visually appealing way while still making not just a playable level, but one which looks legitimately interesting play :eek I can't wait to try this!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

You could post a link to the xky mod at least..................
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

wiivn wrote:You could post a link to the xky mod at least..................
... YOU DON'T ALREADY HAVE IT?

"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

fucl off! All my keens were deleted recently...
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

It never occurred to me that someone might not have XkyKeen1 installed. ;)
http://files.zapzot.net/mods/XkyKeen1.zip
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Nice idea indeed. Reminds me of some of the very old level packs. I think I remember Benoit Rouleau's Return on Mars being slightly like this.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Paramultart: Nothing to do with me though. I didn't modify the world map and the collectiables are in the same levels (of course) as they were in the original levels. It's XkyKeen1's fault: sometimes you can't enter all levels.
Your map level should be one screen too.

I for one managed to enter all the levels just fine.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Captainkeen
Vortininja

Post by Captainkeen »

Interesting little levelpack. It was actually quite easy for something made by keenrush. I too had a few problem when playing it. Two of the large sized levels were still like the original xkykeen. Also I too couldnt complete it because one of the parts was lost again when dying in a level.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Without doubt the best tribute ever made to anything ever. Very cartoonish and humerous for anyone who, like me, has played KeenX more than any other mod. And what better recipient of such a tribute? Apart from KR himself, perhaps. I would like to see someone do this for Smile.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Benvolio wrote:Without doubt the best tribute ever made to anything ever. Very cartoonish and humerous for anyone who, like me, has played KeenX more than any other mod. And what better recipient of such a tribute? Apart from KR himself, perhaps. I would like to see someone do this for Smile.
I think it'd be near impossible to faithfully recreate the levels while keeping the difficulty level. Sounds like a very interesting challenge for good levelmakers though.