Keen 10: Mirror Menace

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.

Should I continue with Keen 11 & 12

Of course. :)
72%
Nope.
28%

Total votes: 32

Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Total noob question: Why do I have to use the v1.4 exe for the mod? Isn't v1.5 basically the same executable?
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It is and most of the versions will work ok with most mods, but CKxPatch is very picky, as I found when trying to expand its functionality. It checks the file's size for some reason that escapes me. (Possibly compression detection.) If you nibble or add even one byte to it, no go!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Ah, annoying, but it makes sense. Thanks!
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Automat
Meep

Re: Keen 10: Mirror Menace

Post by Automat »

i really like the mod but near the end of the game there is a teleporter and every time i go into it the game crashes and it wont let me finish the mod and i cant find videos of the end of the game so i will never see the end of the game unless this is fixed
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

I checked it out already and it's because I changed the teleporter tile + tile property place.
Yeah, piece of cake!
jahir119
Meep

Post by jahir119 »

:x :x :x NO PUEDO DESCARGAR EL JUEGO HABILITEN LA PAGINA PARA HACERLO ME GUSTA EL JUEGO NO LO
PUEDO DESCARGA HAGAN ME ESE FAVOR EN QUE PROGRAMA LO CREAN EL JUEGO YO USO DOSBOX NO ENTRA QUE HAGO
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

jahir119 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 22:15 :x :x :x NO PUEDO DESCARGAR EL JUEGO HABILITEN LA PAGINA PARA HACERLO ME GUSTA EL JUEGO NO LO
PUEDO DESCARGA HAGAN ME ESE FAVOR EN QUE PROGRAMA LO CREAN EL JUEGO YO USO DOSBOX NO ENTRA QUE HAGO
HI, jahir119
Welcome to the forum. You can also download the game on this page:http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Keen_10:_Mirror_Menace
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish (or whatever this is). Maybe if you could calm down and state your problems in English, people over here might be able to help you.

Mirror Menace, even in the most recent version from the KeenWiki, is fundamentally broken and (almost?) impossible to complete without cheating. I can't recommend playing it in its current state.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Definitely Spanish, and though my translation skills in that language are VERY rusty, it seems he's saying the download link is broken and he can't get something to open in DOSBox (?) It seems to be a bit of word salad, punctuation would be desperately appreciated.
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

I finished my playthrough at normal today and here's what I think:
The mod is very easy. More difficult than Ultra Omegamatic and easier than Atroxian Realm. I got little difficulties in the levels Zenuxian Ringdom and Dangerous Goods Store and a great difficulty in the final level. That boss was almost impossible, but I won.
K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 20:50 Mirror Menace, even in the most recent version from the KeenWiki, is fundamentally broken and (almost?) impossible to complete without cheating. I can't recommend playing it in its current state.
Yeah, you're quite right. The only bug I found is the one of the portal. I used the N + F10 to get to the Space Station.

For the rest the game is good
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
CHOCOLATE MILK
Grunt

Post by CHOCOLATE MILK »

LOL I don't remember Keen 10 being very easy, probably because I played it a lot on hard mode without save states. I have not played it again yet but Keen 10 was a late childhood game of mine and I have a lot of good memories playing it.
I remember spending a lot of time messing around with the glitchy turret switches and making Keen die in slime and then switching the switch or grabbing onto a pole to make Keen come back to life as if nothing happened.
I remember translating a SGA sign to find out what the wall switch did in Beam Building Block, which was the hardest level for me and thus the level I have the most memories of. I remember Keen's burnt to dust animation, those annoying scared balls, and those shakeshunds you have to jump over to shoot.
I remember running away from a zenuxian near the end of Ringdom before pogo-ing up onto a pole and thinking how cool it was that I had to make Keen run away from a fast enemy like in the title screen of Keen 5 instead of just shooting or jumping over it.
And I remember replaying the final boss over and over again to see how many times and how fast I could beat it or how many times Keen would die. I loved how fast and random the final boss was without it being unfair.
I also loved the the enemies, the music, and the levels, especially on hard mode, because it was way better than the hard modes in the TUIT series which gave me a lot of pain. If I recall, the secret level in Dead in the Desert wasn't even possible with save states.
Because of that, Keen 10 is actually my favorite Keen game and will likely remain there because of the final boss.

The portal at the end crashes but I fortunately found out on my own that you could get past it with F10+N, although Keen ends up outside the top left of the map if I remember correctly. It's to bad others seem to have never gotten past it, so it should still be fixed.
robertl81
Vortininja

Post by robertl81 »

CHOCOLATE MILK wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 13:50 The portal at the end crashes but I fortunately found out on my own that you could get past it with F10+N, although Keen ends up outside the top left of the map if I remember correctly. It's to bad others seem to have never gotten past it, so it should still be fixed.
I told Szemi straight away, but it seems that this error cannot be corrected
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Szemi is wrong. That error is most definitely fixable.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 20:32 Szemi is wrong. That error is most definitely fixable.
But would you have the time or be willing to fix it as well as the other errors in the game?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

first of, the author of this mod needs to show willingness to address major issues of this mod. I remember recent conversations about further development attempts. I believe this took place on discord. If I'm not mistaken the bottom line was that the author of this mod isn't willing to fix broadly known issues, but instead wanted to focus on other ongoing project.
besides, that teleporter thing isn't the only oddity this mod has to offer...
out now (link) : Image