Atroxian Realm New Demo

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Atroxian Realm New Demo

Post by Gridlock »

After a slightly delayed release, I can wish you all a late Merry Christmas with a new Atroxian Realm demo :christmas

This demo includes:
1. An additional, very cool level
2. Heavily updated graphics (I cringe when I look at the tilesets from the last demo)
3. A few other surprises as well ;)

DOWNLOAD:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/221 ... ndDemo.zip

Even if you played the previous demo, I recommend you try this one as well, as you'll really get a taste for the level of polish I'm aiming for. The swamp levels look much better now that I've gotten rid of the ugly Keen 4 tileset that had been recolored for the swamp. There are lots of other details added as well.

I had to delay this release a bit because of nasty bugs involving frogs, stunned stars, loading savegames, and strange crashes. The point is, while the issue should be fixed thanks to lemm's hard work, I'm not 100% positive. If you encounter strange crashes or freezes while playing, especially if you've loaded a save game, then I really need to know.

Any other bug reports or feedback are always encouraged.

Hopefully this small demo will let you know that this project is still going strong, if slow :slug
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Cool!
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Magnificent mod and tileset, simply enchanted and inspired.
Really takes you to an other place, total escapism.
Love the waterfalls.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I agree with all of the above. Especially re: tileset and waterfalls. The link between the background and foreground is lovely.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I did indeed wonder just why there was such a frenetic pace of updating in its folder.

I'm surprised you didn't use the -demo switch.

So much high quality work out there, I shall have to step up my game in the oncomming year.

On a side note you'll want this patch to fix the F10-C window, otherwise it can freeze the game:

Code: Select all

#Fix F10-C window
%patch $6C1E  $03D8W #Text called from
%patch $6C36  $03CCW #Text called from
%patch $2F23C $0A "Inactive :" $00 "Active :" $00
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Agree with what people have already said; the graphics are so garging tasty, the detail of level (and level of detail :dopekeen) is incredible. The new larva things are creepy, the twitching..... Well done.

Zero crashes here, no kind of problem, and I used save and load a lot.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Splendid! I would have put up a youtube video but I can't access my BreakDownHouse account because Youtube has become notoriously stupid. I'm not sure there's any way I can resolve the problem. Thanks for the demo, Grid. Good to be in the Atroxian Realm again.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Is it me, or when you press and hold up for a 2-3 seconds and then release it, keen still looks up for 1 second. :confused
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

wiivn wrote:Is it me, or when you press and hold up for a 2-3 seconds and then release it, keen still looks up for 1 second.
Oh wow. Wiivn is right. However, this doesn't happen when the screen is at the top of the level. So it must be some screen-scrolling thing.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

wiivn wrote:Is it me, or when you press and hold up for a 2-3 seconds and then release it, keen still looks up for 1 second. :confused
Likely a side effect of a few patches. Had the same problem when trying to make Keen not fall prey to that 'can float on vanished Miragia platforms' bug.
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

This mod is wonderful. Especially the music is a real earwig.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

This is demo is kick ass like the first one was. I only have a few petty gripes:

1) The blue birds in the first demo used to push Keen. In this one they do not. I think it added to the difficulty more when they push him or knock him off ledges.
2) There are WAY too many extra lives in these levels, especially now that you added the "red star". Just on normal I had 52 lives at the end of the three levels.
3) I got an 'out of memory' error once when I exited the new level. But it only happened once.
4) I have not played this on hard yet, but between easy and normal there seems to be no added enemies. Of course, I know this will be remedied in the final version because you did not want to give away too many enemies too soon. This is a demo after all.

Like I said it is kick ass. I love the graphics, and I assume this is only the beginning because I am sure you have at least one or two more tiles sets for the rest of levels along with the current one. I like the enemy replacements and I am sure I will like the other enemies once they are revealed. I also really liked the level design. Large and puzzle-like levels make for a good challenge and allow plenty of exploration but the slight drawback is it makes it easier to get lost. Keeners who prefer more straight forward levels might be turned off by the level design, but personally I enjoy it. The music tracks fit the theme of the levels very well, and I really like the new track for the new level.

I am really looking forward to having this completed.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

I am enjoying it, but I have two minor gripes:

1. Point items are inconsistently highlighted. The spinning animation and lack of highlight cause me to think Kabobs were bizarrely-placed hazards.
2. Sometimes water hazards are below the ground-line, but not deep enough to grab a ledge without dying. Only really annoying when pole-jumps are involved, since your distance is so highly crippled.

Also, there is an overabundance of extra lives, but that has already been mentioned.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

While I strongly agree with your first statement regarding point items that resemble hazards, I must say that I don't believe there's such thing as "too many lives". Honestly, "lives" in non-coin-operated games were a stupid addition to any game, and the fact that Keen has in-level saving renders them all the more obsolete. Having a large number of lives makes Keen mods more fun to play because you can play the game freely without the stress of having to save often. (Of course, if you're a master Keener like me, you never have to save at all.)
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

^THIS