A new keen 1 level pack

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Captainkeen
Vortininja

A new keen 1 level pack

Post by Captainkeen »

Hello everyone, I decided to make a full level pack for keen 1. I tried to focus the gameplay on the interaction between keen and all the differnt sprites. Many of the levels are somewhat based on the original levels from keen 1 some part's clearly being a reference to them. I hoped I could recreate the experience of playing keen 1 but make it a little bit more interesting. The difficulty I would say is moderately difficult. This is for everyone that loves keen 1 and wants more. Enjoy.

https://www.mediafire.com/?me22y8psnrwtrsg
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Dropbox mirror - saving you from the horrors of MediaFire.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Good guy Fleexy to the rescue!
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Yeah!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Mediafire isn't even bad, besides that they delete files like on a flipping rollercoaster.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Well I certainly must say that these levels focus on the sprites and how they interact alright. I have never hated the Yorps as much as I do right now. It is a positive pleasure to see them die.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Thanks Fleexy for the pack! This level pack is basically re-imagined Keen 1, only on a bit bigger scale and a bit harder. That being said, I think unlimited lives should be a solid rule here for both mods and level packs.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Hey Captainkeen, I made sure to give this a play, especially as I appreciated the attention you gave my last mod. This is a nice back-to-basics project, and as others have said, it re-imagines Keen1 to a certain extent, very remniscent of some packs I would have played almost 15 years ago now. It lifts some, er, structural elements from the original game but gives them generally a fun new twist. I would agree that these levels are quite heavily 'Yorped' and, more worryingly still, moderately 'Garged' also. But nothing is crude or outrageous here - very playable! I've played about half and hope to get to the rest before long. Now you are ready to..... MOD!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

wiivn wrote:Thanks Fleexy for the pack! This level pack is basically re-imagined Keen 1, only on a bit bigger scale and a bit harder. That being said, I think unlimited lives should be a solid rule here for both mods and level packs.

So nobody would complain if I made a galaxy mod which did away with the life system and just let you keep going?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Levellass wrote:
wiivn wrote:Thanks Fleexy for the pack! This level pack is basically re-imagined Keen 1, only on a bit bigger scale and a bit harder. That being said, I think unlimited lives should be a solid rule here for both mods and level packs.

So nobody would complain if I made a galaxy mod which did away with the life system and just let you keep going?
I thought for vorticons mods only, but it would be interesting to see this realized in a galaxy mod as well, only if the levels aren't as hard as the Pyramid of the Forbidden though. That save system would be a significant galaxy game changer, especially if the cheat codes are also to be removed. I don't have anything against the galaxy saving system though.
Captainkeen
Vortininja

Post by Captainkeen »

Fleexy wrote:Dropbox mirror - saving you from the horrors of MediaFire.
Alright the more mirrors the better. But I don't really see whats wrong with mediafire. Is this some kind of religious war going on?
Paramultart wrote:Good guy Fleexy to the rescue!
Maybe we should make a keen version of these meme's. Good guy garg. for example
Levellass wrote:Well I certainly must say that these levels focus on the sprites and how they interact alright. I have never hated the Yorps as much as I do right now. It is a positive pleasure to see them die.
Thanks, if you time it carefully you should be able to deal with them by stomping them. But there is enough ammo around to have the option to shoot the most annoyingly placed yorps.
wiivn wrote:This level pack is basically re-imagined Keen 1, only on a bit bigger scale and a bit harder.
That's the only difference? darn.
wiivn wrote:That being said, I think unlimited lives should be a solid rule here for both mods and level packs.
I don't completely agree. The player always has the option to save and load between levels (altough that can get annoying particularly if you die repeatedly in a level i.e playing keenrush's mods). Players that don't save/load can try to earn back lost lives by collecting points. Also if you have unlimited lives you can pick up ammo die and pick it up again infinitely. Currently the player is limited by how many lives he has and this is part of the game mechanism. I do think it can be a nice feature of a mod but then there has to be a solution to fix this flaw in the mechanism that appears. So I wouldn't go so far as to suggest it as a universal feature.
Benvolio wrote:This is a nice back-to-basics project, and as others have said, it re-imagines Keen1 to a certain extent
Thanks
Benvolio wrote:very remniscent of some packs I would have played almost 15 years ago now.
I wonder are those packs still available? I'd be interested what people's favoriete level packs are. Mine are "Dark Side of Mars" and "Keen 1 Competition Level Pack".
Benvolio wrote:I would agree that these levels are quite heavily 'Yorped' and, more worryingly still, moderately 'Garged' also. But nothing is crude or outrageous here - very playable!
Thanks I tried to make the difficulty reasonable. Hard enough that the challenge would hopefully makes it fun to play rather then just relying on aesthetics which only goes so far. But not so hard to alienate too many potential players. I hoped I succeeded. But judging from the difficulty of your last mod you might also have insane keen skills.
Benvolio wrote:Now you are ready to..... MOD!
As you may know I already released one mod "Hiding from the sky" I'm also working at a mod at the moment. But it's so hard to get a full mod done.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Man i'm so sorry, of course you made Hiding From The Sky, which I played and enjoyed quite a bit some years ago. I guess I never made the connection between it and yourself because you only started posting on pckf much more recently. Hiding From The Sky was part of that 'classic era' of Keen1 mods, around the time of Kidnapped Keen and The Search For The Sentinel and suchlike, if I recall. No fancy patches, just straighforward graphics and levels!

As for levelpacks, well they generally haven't been as much my thing as mods. They're mostly available on Keenwiki, I believe. By far the fan level that made the most impression on me was the Ice Factory. Now that was magic...
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Actually I found Hiding from the Sky patches pretty fancy at the time, I meann shootable tankbot replacements and a maze level that changes it's paths every time you load it was pretty unheard then.

Btw, that mod you're working on, is that still the one I started helping you with a bit and then dropped out? If yes I'm willing to provide some more help, if you still want it.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

tulip wrote:Actually I found Hiding from the Sky patches pretty fancy at the time, I meann shootable tankbot replacements and a maze level that changes it's paths every time you load it was pretty unheard then..
Wait.. it does what now? How the hell did he manage that?

Alright the more mirrors the better. But I don't really see whats wrong with mediafire. Is this some kind of religious war going on?
Mediafire is abhorrent; it has a tendency to delete links or have them not work. Also they're coming down hard on pirates. Oh and there's an expiry date on all uploads so they're not the most reliable out.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I'd imagine it does something like KeenQ: have the game-starting batch file cycle the names of files containing different versions of that level. However, that would only change it when restarting the game; I'd have to look to see for sure.