Keen 10: Mirror Menace- Final release

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Oh boy... I surely do hate an abundance of dangerous tiles.
http://youtu.be/uIx0yssIyRA
Good show! Another innovative mod!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Levellass wrote:Rats! That's an interesting bug and I have no idea why it happens. It does seem to try and teleport you off the map.

*Investigates*

CONGRATULATIONS! You've found a whole new type of bug in the Keen code! Any infoplane values of $xxyy will be corrupted when level yy is completed! This is the second time I've managed to create a bug by sheer stupid coincidence and stumbling on a weakness in the code.

Bug has been squashed, but that was a brilliant find! It limits how Keen 6, and possibly Keen 5 maps can be built.
The Dead in the Desert Community Level Pack actually had this same bug. They fixed it.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Hmmnnnn.... then we're going to have to note this somewhere on the keen wiki, possibly the Keen 6 map or teleporter pages. (Can it be a Keen 6 bug if it never appears in the original game?)

Oh boy... I surely do hate an abundance of dangerous tiles.
It wouldn't have been true to the original beta to have less. Nice to see you found the secret trick to bypassing half of level 1 (And the laser switch trick too.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

i dunno if im somehow a bad player of the keen games (im pretty sure im not) but, again, this mod is just too hard :( we all seem to have a bad tendency to make mods too hard.

i like those switches that you jump on and bump into. thats about it i spose.

bizarely those lazer gun things (that shoot a direct line of lazer) is pretty much exactly the same as lazer guns i made in something im currently working on. so i think we're having a mind meld thing starting to happen here (i didnt think i was *that* close to anyone here).
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Bernie wrote:we all seem to have a bad tendency to make mods too hard.
Not Paramultart - Shmaynoria is just right! (Nor Bonevelous - In The Bloogbrain is far too easy...)
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

well im never up to date with the latest versions of people's mods, so yeah.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

With the latest version, the bug doesn't seem to go away, but that's probably because I'm using an old save.

But now a new bug appears: insufficient memory and no music in the b0ss level.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

wiivn wrote:But now a new bug appears: insufficient memory and no music in the b0ss level.
Is that also with the old save?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Old saves can cause all sorts of glitches and bugs, AFAIK including insufficient memory errors.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

But I'm using a new save this time.

With the old save, the teleportation bug still appears. With the new save, the teleportation bug is no more, but now the b0ss music is off.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Ahh I think I got the wrong version to test. Well anyway, I will talk about some aspects of that version and will test later on the newer one:

Here is what I didn't like:
- You need to copy Keen6.exe to get it work. Yeah, I know why, but for more people who want to test it, it really might be a problem.
- Some backgrounds were a bit distracting and I wasn't sure whether it was foreground or background and got sometimes killed for that reason. I think the final release got that right, as it looks better.
- It is a bit too hard. A lot of mods have that problem in my opinion. Difficulty is okay, but if I choose easy, it really should be easy. The enemies are not powerful but the level design makes the game a bit hard. Newcomers should be able to master at least level 1 and it should become more difficult in small increments. Classical bad example is Zelda 2 for the NES, as it became to hard in midgame. I know it's hard to accomplish, because testers played the level so many that they tend to forget about that. I would make the first level a bit easier, the others in my opinion are okay.

And now here is what I like:
- The music is awesome, I like it a lot
- The enemie designs are pretty cool
- The overall design of a dark but colorful world is very neat. I consider this mod pretty original
- Also for 2 player what I was testing and 640x400 it is pretty fun to play, I love it. So good level maybe a bit too hard...

Thanks to szemi, levelass and the team of them behind for that amazing mod. I really love it! I will play it more if I get more time to do so :)
Having fun developing stuff...
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

I can't get this mod running at all. I keep getting errors each time I start it up, the one I'm seeing now says "Divide e=oor," another was something about an invalid numeric code or something...

either way, I cannot get any version of this running. What's the deal?
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Did you try to copy the keen6.exe to the mod directory. You need version 1.4 of that exe. At least that way it worked on my system with some bugs, but not too bad...
Having fun developing stuff...
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Ah that did it, the EXE was from the wrong version... annoying that was, went through lengths to get the right version.

Thanks! Having played it now, this mod is pretty neat so far, haven't played enougb yet to say for sure though..
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Has anyone actually beat the boss? He's built to be quite tricky.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.