Keen 10: Mirror Menace- Final release

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I honestly couldn't pass the first level without cheating; did you let Levellord do the tileinfo? The graphics and patching were awesome though.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Fleexy wrote:I honestly couldn't pass the first level without cheating; did you let Levellord do the tileinfo? The graphics and patching were awesome though.
Only some of it! (Also, that's why the cheats are easier to access and there's an extra life cheat.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Levellass wrote:Has anyone actually beat the boss? He's built to be quite tricky.
I did finally beat him after around 19 deaths. I played on easy and I am almost done with normal. One question though. Why is it that the acid on the ceiling and in the barrels is lethal, but the acid on the floor is harmless? It is obvious that acid on the floor was once supposed to be lethal because there are goplats and mine carts strategically placed at several acid pools as if they were lethal. In fact if these pools were lethal it would be impossible to cross several of them without the goplats and mine carts. Given that the pools on the floor are harmless, the goplats and carts are completely pointless. So I am guessing the acid on the floor is supposed to be lethal?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Initially, yes, but it turned out to push the difficulty up a little too much so it was knocked back before release. And judging by people's comments, a good thing too.
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

I was able to beat the boss 3 times on hard. Sort of like playing Netkeen by myself except it is a lot harder. It's about the only level I like in this mod. :(

While there are improvements,it is still (to me) not as fun as TUIT.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Levack wrote: While there are improvements,it is still (to me) not as fun as TUIT.
This means negative and bad influence for the mod.
Yeah, piece of cake!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Wouldn't want to get anybody's hopes up too much, would you?

I'm actually enjoying this mod for the most part. Still as wonky and quirky as ever, but it's pretty good. And how the fluc does shooting a yorp end the level? Oh, is that Spot? I didn't notice any collar. Great patching though. And I like the ammo-cut after dying. Better than walking about with 99 ammo the whole time.
Flicking switches seem weird somehow.. (Not the red buttons, the square switches)
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Mon Mar 24, 2014 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Well, if you shoot Keen's friends or Martinez, you lose.
Yeah, piece of cake!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Yeah, I gathered as much. Story-wise, I don't see how it works, since Keen shoots his parents and other yorps and never suffers a set-back. He stuns creatures. He doesn't kill them. Story, however, is secondary and gameplay matters most. So again, very interesting patch and I like it.
I just have to remember to save my game. I just never do. It's probably the root of all my beating-mods-problems.
I like the idea though. Instead of just shooting everywhere recklessly, you can be punished for shooting carelessly, which is something new to the keenscene.

EDIT: Okay. So. What in !@#$% killed me here?

That little black splotch on the wall is negative and a bad influence on the mod.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

A tile bug huh? I don't know how those keep getting through. Seriously, how do you modders avoid such things? sadly I just left the mod project so cannot fix it. So it goes.

Actually, does Abiathar have some sort of option for highlighting lethal tiles?

troublesomekeen wrote:Flicking switches seem weird somehow.. (Not the red buttons, the square switches)
Yeah, patching in switches into Keen 6 was a little tricky; they're too responsive, you can turn them on\off too fast.

Levack wrote:While there are improvements,it is still (to me) not as fun as TUIT.
We are only mortals, not gods. TUIT will only fall when the first source code mod is released.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Levellass wrote:Actually, does Abiathar have some sort of option for highlighting lethal tiles?
Yes. Enable SuperTileinfo in the config file and use the Tile Properties mode as normal. Killing tiles receive an orange X over them; killing tops receive an orange line.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

See what I mean about dangerous tiles?
http://youtu.be/yDBPV0ps3So
(Skip to the last ten seconds of the video. Enjoying the mod, but gosh dang it. Where's my sweatdropkeen emoticon?)
Levellass wrote:Has anyone actually beat the boss? He's built to be quite tricky.
Beat the boss just now. He's alright. All a keener need do is go East and fire behind every now and then.
http://youtu.be/dKJSP8Ui8Vg
wolfcub7
Vortininja

Post by wolfcub7 »

All I have is keen6c.exe and the demo version...Does it have to be keen6.exe exactly and which command starts the game? I can't find a ReadMe file and the Help file doesn't mention the starting command...

EDIT: Well, I found keen6.exe from my files...but keen6.bat won't start the game and I don't remember what other possibilities there were.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

A demo Keen6 won't work.
Did you remember to use "unlzexe"?
wolfcub7
Vortininja

Post by wolfcub7 »

No, I didn't. And now that I tried, I realized the keen6.exe that I have is a decompressed version from the time I played Aliens Ate My Babysister.
And I can't find an original compressed file...Is there a way to somehow get it back from teh OLZ-file? 'Cause I can't remember where I got the keen6.exe to begin with.