ROM (Revenge of Mortimer) Trilogy

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.

What's your favorite episode of the trilogy?

Episode 1 (Mort's Rescue)
22%
Episode 2 (Flames on Earth)
No votes
Episode 3 (The Sqeek Battle)
11%
All of them
56%
None of them
11%

Total votes: 9

Darziw Nogaj
Grunt

ROM (Revenge of Mortimer) Trilogy

Post by Darziw Nogaj »

Hello, PCKFers! My son has finally finished his three Vorticons mods and is releasing them as a trilogy!

Here's a link below:
Download the ROM Trilogy!

Hope you like it and happy Keen Day! :D
K:M Topic
Last edited by Darziw Nogaj on Mon Jul 28, 2014 23:53, edited 2 times in total.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Happy Keen Day to both of you! will try this after a round or two of netkeen.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

This is nice, reminds me a lot of Harvey's Mods. Simple but solid graphics, classic feel. I'll have to look into this further.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Debut trilogy release, eh? I like it :P

I will have to take another good look at these mods but my initial impression is of a colourful, fun humerous adventure, reminding me of mods by people such as Xtraverse and, dare I say it, my own debut trilogy. The backgrounds are very lively, which I am in favour of. I love the green wallpaper in the third mod, very cool. I hope Quinton keeps up his good work!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I'm flattered to be mentioned in Quinton's 'about me' section :)

So far I've played episode one Mort's Rescue and enjoyed it. Extremely nostalgic feeling for the early days of Keen modding and very reminiscent of my own first mod combined with the creature art style of Tulip's first mod. I enjoyed the short but often challenging level design and experienced two game overs.

Playing more later!
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I also just completed the first episode. I really like the simplicity here. The Keen 1 feel is definitely still there in the level designs, but the new tiles make the game feel fresh. The level designs are also quite nice. The small size and easy difficulty (except in a few spots) make this a short but sweet playthrough. I will get to the other episodes soon.

Thanks for sharing this :)
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Heh, I just played through the first and found it pretty fun! For the sake of statistics, I'll mention that I died 7 times, got zero game-overs, and collected 119100 points. (No saving was used.) Looking forward to future work!
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I've now beaten the whole trilogy, and I'm glad to say the second and third are as good as the first. Even though the games feel very similar to the originals, the new graphics really change the experience. It's hard to pick a favorite. Graphically, I liked the changes to the second episode most. All three episodes had some neat, if simple, level designs. In particular, the third episode had some cool levels, particularly the one with all the blasters on the ceiling and the fake exit. I also enjoyed the new final boss, although it was a bit too easy.

Excellent work on these mods, Quinton. I look forward to seeing what you can do in the future. I encourage you to experiment even more with new graphics and level designs now that you have a pretty solid grasp of modding.

Also, thanks to your father for uploading these!
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Darziw Nogaj
Grunt

Post by Darziw Nogaj »

Thank you all for playing and liking the trilogy. Quinton will work on his final bosses in future games, he wants it to be something original.
Last edited by Darziw Nogaj on Mon Jul 28, 2014 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I love cutesy little mods like these. Simple, fun, and fueled by vision.
You can always tell when a modder had fun making a project. :)
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

These mods are simple, uninventive and heavily dependent on the originals. I can match many levels to the originals they were based on, often there are even chunks that are identical. Tiles are also often just replacements of the original graphics. These could quite well be described as basic and unremarkable mods.

But they aren't.

The reason I think is because what is done is done so remarkably well. There are mods, and we have seen many of late, that set out to amaze with their brilliant graphics and heavy patching. There are multi-tilesets and new palettes and the massive (And dead) Keen community mod. These mods are not like them.

They are basic, and yet not simple. The graphics are replacements yes, but fitting ones that keep the theme of the original games and blend seamlessly together. The levels are new in their own way and can be remarkably fun to play through even though they have the same basic conceit of the original games.

Indeed it is their faithfulness to the feel and atmosphere of the original games that makes them so great. These mods, as many have noted, have the feel of the early days of modding, of Benvolio and Xky when what we could do was limited and Galaxy modding was but a theoretical possibility. Playing these mods there was no moment when I went 'Whoa' or 'Awesome' or 'I am going to use *that* in my mod' But when I closed DosBox my mood was lifted and I felt glad for having played the games. For they were an absolute joy to play through start to finish, perfect and solid in their simplicity. If this is the debut, then I look forward to later creations.

The only weak point was the story; it was rather cut-and-paste when it is one of the easiest parts of the game to modify. I am guessing this is due to the youngness of the modder. (You may also want to get help for patching the ending texts, it is possible to change the size of those windows and the length of the text lines in them. There's no need for 'I comming')
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I played this and it's spiffy! :D

I daresay this is a better re-imagining of a game than nintendo's A Link Between Worlds. Why? Well, a lot of the faithfulness to A Link to the Past had been retained, but it's goal is to impress you. This trilogy just wants to relive the fun of the originals in a different way, and succeeds.

I think the modder doesn't understand that keen was meant to take place in the early 90s (or was it?), but whatever. It's kind of a twist that keen wants to be friendly with Mort in the beginning.

The only nitpick I have is that episode 3 has repetitive levels. Keen 3 had a lot of different types of buildings and environments to explore. With this, it's just "here's some more small houses" over and over.

I didn't even know the chao in the dump was supposed to be a secret level until I read the ending.

Now there's supposedly 4 different cheese mods! :dopefish (one of which I have not seen yet)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass