I made a mod - Keen episode 59: Underworld Ultimate!

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Bernie wrote:well yeah i suppose theres a bunch of bugs still in it which i'll never be bothered to fix. ...i dunno, maybe one day, when im on my deathbed, i might go back to fix them up.
Well when the keen source comes out you could be able to do that more easily.... maybe?

So it's just a matter of figuring out if we will pass out before the source releases.
Bernie wrote:no the story doesnt end there, but i sure do! haha.
I heard you were going to make the sequel on a different engine?
Levellass wrote:This is due to a lack of mental motivation. This can be remedied by increasing physical motivation.
wiivn wrote::O :O :O
WHAAAT?! I cannot reading what I'm believe! You better be joking or else! Stop b1tching and go fix the save/load=lost gem bug noaw!!!1! or I'll take the 1st flight to Sidney and you'll regret that moar!
Where did I put my whacking stick...?
Wow, easy guys. No need to turn this into Streets of Rage. Just watch this series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkciWlf0ZQE
troublesomekeen wrote:Me thinks that save-state DosBox is our only hope. I am no attempting a saveless, deathless Roib run.
This man speaks wisdom. But you shouldn't attempt that: the only problem with the difficulty really is that keen dies in one hit - this has always been THE major issue with commander keen games and this mod goes to showcase than anything more complex than the original games is gonna run into endless issues thanks to the lack of any sort of possibility to avoid dying in one hit. Perhaps once the source releases this grave mistake could be addressed.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

CKeen wrote:I heard you were going to make the sequel on a different engine?
haha no. where did you get that? :p i never seriously planned to make the third one of this trilogy.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

CKeen wrote:Well when the keen source comes out you could be able to do that more easily.... maybe?
Hell no, we have the Dreams source code but nobody ca tell how to help me...

CKeen wrote:This man speaks wisdom. But you shouldn't attempt that: the only problem with the difficulty really is that keen dies in one hit - this has always been THE major issue with commander keen games and this mod goes to showcase than anything more complex than the original games is gonna run into endless issues thanks to the lack of any sort of possibility to avoid dying in one hit. Perhaps once the source releases this grave mistake could be addressed.
You know, it's funny; I'm sure I patched multiple hits... why yes, yes I did. Guess nobody noticed.
Bernie wrote:haha. so the one girl on the boards, who all the guys drool over, is going to whack me? ooo baby ;) thats supposed to motivate me to do anything else how?
Who is this mystery woman of which you speak?

Bernie wrote:but really its just im working on other creative projects in my life right now. doing some stuff that might actually get me a job or god knows what one day. the hell can i do with a keen mod :( (and hey im 30 years old. you get to a point where you need to think about your future a tad).
Bern, this has nothing to do with your future. I think I speak for all use no-hoper, dateless wonders when I say we demand you spend your precious time and energy on minute details relating to our specific obsessions. We want you to milk every last drop of creativity out of that brain-udder of yours until it's a withered, shriveled-up corpse.

*Looks over paragraph*

Yes, yes I speak for everyone.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Levellass wrote: Who is this mystery woman of which you speak?
;)
but wasnt there another chick on these boards and she got kicked off a while back? she gave a lot of crap to me :/

Levellass wrote: Bern, this has nothing to do with your future. I think I speak for all use no-hoper, dateless wonders when I say we demand you spend your precious time and energy on minute details relating to our specific obsessions. We want you to milk every last drop of creativity out of that brain-udder of yours until it's a withered, shriveled-up corpse.
hows aboot NO ;)
although you seem to help tons of people on these boards with things. heh i couldnt do that.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Bernie wrote:
Levellass wrote: Who is this mystery woman of which you speak?
;)
but wasnt there another chick on these boards and she got kicked off a while back? she gave a lot of crap to me :/
There have been quite a few, I think the first was RocketJess...

Bernie wrote: hows aboot NO ;)
although you seem to help tons of people on these boards with things. heh i couldnt do that.
Yeah, nobody is willing to help you. It's all take and no give. but darn it, it we're all going to be bloodsucking ticks then who am I to question the status quo?
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Pfft... Shameless Shmaynoria ripoff.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Radiant
Grunt

Post by Radiant »

This has to be one of the most amazing game mods of any game!
Levellass wrote:I'd do it, but people would need to make a list of them, plus I'd need to figure out what the hey everything did plus it'd need to be around February next year after a few mod releases.
Please tell me you're serious :)
Wallachian wrote:I suffer that very strange save bug which someone else mentioned. It works OK before Understream. But after that, if i want to load in-level save, level-entrence box appear and then nothing else happens, just black screen with no sound whatsoever.
This is the big one. Everything else is doable but not being able to save mid-level makes it very hard to enjoy the later levels. :dead2
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I can do it if there's a push, though I'm not sure if I could get the savegame bug fixed, that seems like a doozy.
Blorbatrix
Grunt

Post by Blorbatrix »

So, I really would like to play this mod since it's goddamn beatiful, but there just seems to be no way to progress past the first 3 levels for me.

I've beaten the Mushroom Mines, the Tunnel System and Understream. That leaves the following levels available to me:

-The Cave of Secrets, which I can't beat since no amount of shots will open the chained chest

-The Cave of Illusions, which I also can't beat since I cant seem to find a way get the green crystal (I've spent hours checking every wall for no-collision and breakability, looked for invisible ropes and doors everywhere, etc.)

-The Sealed Gate, which is still sealed at this point in the game.

The only thing left is the bridge beneath underpass, but I'm nowhere close to 250k points so that's not an option either.

Any help here? I really don't want to give up on this mod :(
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

About your problem with the Cave of Secrets, your shots will never be able to open the chest, no matter how much. But, if you did a little bit of exploring in the level, you might meet someone that might be able to open the chest for you.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Blorbatrix
Grunt

Post by Blorbatrix »

Thanks, just figured it out aswell :)

Is there anything you can do about the weird graphical glitches in some levels like Dreas Domain or the Fountain? Are there any specific DosBox settings that help with stuff like that?
Blorbatrix
Grunt

Post by Blorbatrix »

Thanks, just figured it out aswell :)

Is there anything you can do about the weird graphical glitches in some levels like Dreas Domain or the Fountain? Are there any specific DosBox settings that help with stuff like that?
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Re: I made a mod - Keen episode 59: Underworld Ultimate!

Post by DarkAle »

I DID IT! :O
It was very hard but I did it! I won this mod at hard! Let's tell you about my play:

About the graphics:
They are fantastic. I love them and I think you're a great artist.

About the sprites:
I hated a lot of them. The ones I hated the most were: the Kreegs, Drone 2.0, Mage of Ancients, Ugg-Bug, Cursed Orb, Ghost Fish and that black thing

About the levels:
Nice work, except for the difficulty. The most hard levels were: Base Gateway, Base Station, R'n'R and Realm of Lost Magic. The boss was not so hard.

Overall the mod looks great when played with God Mode. The only problem is the difficulty

Best regards,
DarkAle
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

DarkAle wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 15:16 I DID IT! :O
It was very hard but I did it! I won this mod at hard! Let's tell you about my play:

About the graphics:
They are fantastic. I love them and I think you're a great artist.

About the sprites:
I hated a lot of them. The ones I hated the most were: the Kreegs, Drone 2.0, Mage of Ancients, Ugg-Bug, Cursed Orb, Ghost Fish and that black thing

About the levels:
Nice work, except for the difficulty. The most hard levels were: Base Gateway, Base Station, R'n'R and Realm of Lost Magic. The boss was not so hard.

Overall the mod looks great when played with God Mode. The only problem is the difficulty

Best regards,
DarkAle
So basically you beat this game on hard all because of god mode?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

No. Without it
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031