Commander Keen 64 Demo

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

@Mink:
Thanks for telling me this!

Argh...hmm, I'll have to think of a solution to this one, I can't think of what's wrong, and the problem is that I never had that sort of problem on my computer, so I can't just easily recode and test till I fix the problem, I have to rely on the feedback of others.

@Davince:
Thanks for your in-depth review, I appreciate your feedback.
DaVince wrote:This game is starting to come together real nicely! I enjoyed playing it a lot more than the last version, and the graphics are pretty awesome. :)
Thank you so much!
DaVince wrote: There isn't a lot of ammo, though, and controls are sometimes still a bit stiff, but that might be because the map requires some precision in places. Try finding a way to make these platforms a bit easier, maybe try reducing the "slide" effect as much as possible (meaning sliding off edges of platforms, etcetera).
Yeah I want to design the levels a little more loosely for the full version, so there's more room smooth platforming.

So the sliding is still a problem, I thought I heavily reduced it...
DaVince wrote: By the way, I managed to climb one of the mountains in the main map and then get stuck in a hole in one of the mountains. Try going around how possible it is to reach places, or maybe add a secret somewhere in the mountains. :P
Ok, thanks! I'll consider secret places in the mountains. I tried making an invisible wall to prevent people from going up there, but it seems it didn't work, lol.
DaVince wrote: Oh yeah, things got a bit slow around tons of goodies, are you putting your models through a "reducer" (program that tries to minimize the amount of polygons without decreasing model quality)? Also, it's a chore picking up that many goodies in one place, spread them around a bit more.
No, I am not putting it in a reducer, but I might make the "goodies" models with less polygons, because for items to have their level of smoothness is a tad unneeded, plus this is intended to be a little more primitive in model detail.
MrBlack
Vortininja

Post by MrBlack »

Very nice! Engine works very well, great job.

Some suggestions?

Make the pickup radius bigger. It's unnecesarrily fiddly trying to get the points because you simply can't hit them very well.

Just twek the jumping and landing mechanic slightly. At the moment, I'll jump onto one of the blue cans and land on the edge, but it pushes me off. Something to do with the landing radius, make it slightly bigger? I won't pretend to know a lot about programming.

And a crosshair would be nice =] especially if you can turn it on and off with a button.

I love the BWBMR, house and overworld though. Very well made, very Keen reminiscent. And the graphics are great too, simple but polished and that's how it should be. Great work with this, love it =]

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

MrBlack wrote:Very nice! Engine works very well, great job.
MrBlack wrote:I love the BWBMR, house and overworld though. Very well made, very Keen reminiscent. And the graphics are great too, simple but polished and that's how it should be. Great work with this, love it =]
Thank you very much!! It's much appreciated.
MrBlack wrote: Some suggestions?

Make the pickup radius bigger. It's unnecesarrily fiddly trying to get the points because you simply can't hit them very well.

Just twek the jumping and landing mechanic slightly. At the moment, I'll jump onto one of the blue cans and land on the edge, but it pushes me off. Something to do with the landing radius, make it slightly bigger? I won't pretend to know a lot about programming.

And a crosshair would be nice =] especially if you can turn it on and off with a button.
Ok, a crosshair does sound good and simple to make. I'll also make the objects easier to grab, that might make it less tedious.

I'll look into the jumping and landing, that has been an issue, whether to make Keen slide in too much or not slide at all.

Thanks for the feedback, you brought up some ideas I didn't think of before.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Great job man but I have some suggestions:

Do not try to emulate keen 1 levels. Make new ones with different style (e.g. not so many candies in one room). Also, more in-door areas and less blue platforms would be nice. Also maybe some new monsters would be nice...

Anyways, for now it's a beta, and you have my full support. It is very good.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

It's about time Keen gets his pogostick! :pogo
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Thanks man! I appreciate that advice and support.

ZidaneA: Hmm...maybe. We shall see. Anything can happen once school is out in a few weeks. I can't promise anything, but it would probably be something like the demo but with the pogo level added extra, along with the actual pogo stick.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

Lava89 wrote: ZidaneA: Hmm...maybe. We shall see. Anything can happen once school is out in a few weeks. I can't promise anything, but it would probably be something like the demo but with the pogo level added extra, along with the actual pogo stick.
It sure feels Keenish, but the feeling ain't complete without the good ol' pogo ya know..
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

Hey Lava, how's this game coming?

You still working on it part time?
(Used to be LordofGlobox)
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I thought I'd just pull this quote from the other thread...
GoldenRishi wrote:Hey, I know that this is a pretty old topic now, but good luck man!

I still play the 3D demo from time to time.
Thanks man, I really appreciate the support, it's posts like these that give me a little more motivation. And that's awesome that you still play the demo, I'm glad it was worth your download, even for a demo.
GoldenRishi wrote:Hey Lava, how's this game coming?

You still working on it part time?
In between finals I have been bouncing off ideas. And after looking at the Pogo demo that I wanted to create, it looks like I did alot more work than I thought I had, so I have been slowly getting it to work since it's more of a possibility than expected.

I don't want to make any promises of when it may be released, since anything is bound to come up which may hinder production, but I have made progress.
sephiroth
Grunt

Keen 64 demo

Post by sephiroth »

Heya Lava89! Just registered because I had to tell you what an awesome game you've made! :p

Loved the yorps, gargs, keenish feel, everything!

Just a question if I may? I see that you are planning on including the robots in the game, but what about the Vorticons?
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

GoldenRishi wrote:I still play the 3D demo from time to time.
Same, but I don't deny I would play it a lot more if it had like 3 levels.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

CKeen666 wrote:
GoldenRishi wrote:I still play the 3D demo from time to time.
Yeah, and a pogo-stick :c
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

If positive posts motivate you, lemme state this for ya:

I want MORE please, so I can enjoy more. So get off your lazy ass and start working!

:p
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

sephiroth wrote:Heya Lava89! Just registered because I had to tell you what an awesome game you've made! :p

Just a question if I may? I see that you are planning on including the robots in the game, but what about the Vorticons?
Wow...thank you so much! I appreciate that!

Vorticons will be in the full game, and I've wanted to show screens of a model but I didn't feel it was finished.
CKeen666 wrote:
Well the next thing I am working on will give you another level.
ZidaneA wrote:
Which is what will come next!
DaVince wrote:If positive posts motivate you, lemme state this for ya:

I want MORE please, so I can enjoy more. So get off your lazy ass and start working!

Haha, well there's only so much positive posts can do for motivation, there's still "real life" situations that get in the way.

And I have been working on this. I've gotten the gist of pogo gameplay to work, I have the pogo level set up and made the map object from which you can enter level. But I still need the exit to work and other polish aspects, like the fade outs, I also need to refine the pogo gameplay and then finish the pogo level itself.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

Lava89 wrote:
sephiroth wrote:Heya Lava89! Just registered because I had to tell you what an awesome game you've made! :p

Wow...thank you so much! I appreciate that!

Vorticons will be in the full game, and I've wanted to show screens of a model but I didn't feel it was finished.
CKeen666 wrote:
Well the next thing I am working on will give you another level.
ZidaneA wrote:
Which is what will come next!
DaVince wrote:If positive posts motivate you, lemme state this for ya:

Haha, well there's only so much positive posts can do for motivation, there's still "real life" situations that get in the way.

And I have been working on this. I've gotten the gist of pogo gameplay to work, I have the pogo level set up and made the map object from which you can enter level. But I still need the exit to work and other polish aspects, like the fade outs, I also need to refine the pogo gameplay and then finish the pogo level itself.
Oh garg, I can't wait 'til it's done :(

Oh, and if you need music.. Just PM me! (Right now I'm not home, so I won't finish the tracks as fast as I usually do, but when I get back, I'll finish everything in a pogojump!)