(Re-release) Keen & the Electromagnet

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Thank you soooo much for posting and sharing your thoughts!

@Lava89
From the screenshots I've seen, there are black letterbox stripes across the top and bottom of the overworld, which looks un-Dosboxish to me. But I guess not! Version 0.74 is what I'm using and is the latest version, as far as I know.

@Benvolio
I only slightly tweaked the lightswitch palette in an attempt to better get that "discovery" feeling in the Basement Level.

@Plasma Captain
It is quite a strange mod. Doesn't hardly look like a Keen mod, aside from the characters.
The red wall-crawler is a Dirt Devil. It's a kind of hand vacuum. Back in the olden days, we used to have one in our old, old RV bus.
Most of the levels turned into a mindcluf because of so many keys and doors.

If you make a level-breaking mistake with keycards, you'll have no choice but to kill yourself, so I had to make sure there were dangerous tiles all over the place, hence the TV trap. Oh, what's this? Cooking up a little something, Plasma?

You can get the key at the top of the Moon level without clipping or God mode. It's only purpose is to open up the bottom-most route, which is the most difficult.

The Mars level is a No-Gun & Run type of level. One of the later levels in Quinton's Morticore utilizes this idea much better. I don't like the Mars level as it is. Someday I'm going to redo it.
While you are meant to shoot the Spinning Magnets, if Keen's sprite merely touches the Magnet, it has the same effect as shooting it. Otherwise if you're out of ammo and you complete the level without destroying the Tantalus Ray/Magnet, you cannot win the game. That is why the Magnet is always unavoidable and right in front of the Exit.

@T-Squared
This has happened to me before. I had my anti-virus program simply ignore it, otherwise it would delete all of my precious Keen Tools. The anti-virus simply doesn't know what DOS is.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

troublesomekeen wrote:The red wall-crawler is a Dirt Devil. It's a kind of hand vacuum.
Ohhh, now I get it.
troublesomekeen wrote:You can get the key at the top of the Moon level without clipping or God mode.
Well, I just literally jumped through the solid tiles at the top of the screen, no cheat codes.

I must not have noticed the magnet disappearing. As for the Mars level, I'll have to return and figure out where I got lost. Probably ought to retry the moon again as well.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Oh dear. I didn't know about the clipping bug. I know how to fix that, but just as well. Otherwise you have to do three long and difficult pogo jumps.

The magnet actually doesn't disappear, but it acts as if it does when you touch it, and the fanfare sound effect doesn't happen either so you probably are not awarded points (like you would be if you shoot the magnet/tantalus ray).
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Whenever I play this mod I'm left thinking 'What just happened?'
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.